Nothing here

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
I've heard alot about a protest ("strikes") on this Tuesday coming up, the 11th. Yet, not a word on these boards.

There are some regulars that must have some of the talk from the street - or wherever they get their information.

I've heard talk like this before, and nothing has ever happened - at least not in my 2 years, but this one seems to have a different flavor; school is all but cancelled for the day, the students are talking of big things happening.

Now, I don't take my feed from them, but like I say, we've had these murmurs before on the street, but the students have never been so vocal about it.

Oddly, the 3 taxi drivers I've asked about it didn't - or wouldn't - say anything about it.

Just curious if anyone out there has heard anything and would like to share it.

Personally, the fact that protests are scheduled events, made weeks in advance, is beyond funny, inching towards hysterical.

However, keeping in mind that Monday is a school holiday anyway, I find the schedulemakers to be not only funny, but brilliant and warm hearted human beings.

If this protest doesn't work out, how about we reschedule for the 26th, or maybe the 16th or 17th of December. That would work out well I think.

D & D

Jul 17, 2003
Wondering about that myself!

I have been told that a lot of businesses in Santiago are planning on being closed Tuesday and Wednesday. Even in Villa Gonzalez, we know several business owners who said they have no intention of becoming a target.

I took a friends advice and bought groceries yesterday and we have no plans to go into Santiago until after the "planned" festivities. So much for our mid-week movie break.

I have a feeling that the problem with LP is going to really piss people off. A lot of folks can barely afford to buy food, and if they can't even make beans and rice for lack of fuel, it could get ugly in a hurry.

We'll pretty much sit this one out in our concrete jungle. Thoughts anyone?

Dianne