Catching the SD-Samana Bus: Question

secook

Nov 7, 2003
Hi there,

staying in Las Galeras Christmas week. I will fly into Santo Domingo and catch the bus. Here's the question: I'll arrive at 2pm (well, if we're on schedule). Will that afford me enough time to clear customs and get to the bus station for the 4pm departure? I won't have any checked bags...

Plus, I'm not certain if Caribe leaves only from the center, or near the airport; how do I get to the bus station?

Or should I just take it easy and spend the night in town? I'd rather get up north the same day I fly in, but if it's a lost cause, I'll make other plans.

Thanks so much!

Sarah

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I'd plan on taking bus the next morning. The bus station is in town. But everything thing else is variable: arrival time of plane, time required to clear into the country, amount of traffic to contend with on long ride to bus station, arrival time at bus station.

Give yourself a break and leave the next morning.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
With a 2pm arrival and figuring 1/2 hour to get through customs, that puts you out the door and into a taxi about 2:30pm (assuming the plane's on time). Even if it takes an hour for the normal 25 to 30 minute ride, you still have 1/2 hr before the bus leaves. You should make it.

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
It is techically possible if everything goes well. The biggest question is probably if your plane gets in on time. At any rate, have a backup plan. There are numerous hotels here in Santo Domingo.