Rumors Heard in the Hall

Johnny Magpie

Nov 8, 2003
Rumors-heard in the Hall

Johnny Magpie

Is a pseudo-name I will use when posting Rumors-heard in the Hall.

I am a regularly poster- and I live in the DR, if you are smart enough to figure my identity- good for you- please keep it to your self.

*Disclaimer*

The stuff I post- is what I am hearing- while hanging out at the Colmados/ Discos/ Police-Station/ Shooting Pool/ etc/ etc?..

I will never guarantee- it?s authenticity or accuracy. Just that I heard- while hoisting some Cervesa.

A friend in the Military has been in meetings all week over in the Palace. All concerning the activities taking place on Tuesday. Military & Police will be visibly stationed all over no-later than 5am Tuesday morning.

3 people who own transport buses have said their buses will not be on their routs tuesday- they are afraid of the damage that happens to them.

My guess is that it will be either a regularly day or all hell will break out nothing much inbetween.

The match that could really start it all*
new_burnup_smilie.gif

Santo Domingos Power Plant in Haina the fuel storage yard is almost completely empty- sources say around Tuesday or Wednesday the plant will be out of fuel. People working inside said that they used up all the fuel left by Spainards and that there have been no new deliveries since the government took over. There is talk that the government has been trying to buy but have been told COD- no credit.

Like the allowance the business community is giving the government to buy the IMF loan- maybe they can get together and buy the government some carbon so the can keep the Cervesa cold- their lights on- and their cash registers working.

Or maybe not?

More rumors & gossip coming soon!

Johnny Magpie

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Interesting Johnny Magpie. Am looking forward to more.

What I don't understand is why it is so quiet even though the problems being experienced by the people are more severe than ever before. During the 17 years that I have lived in the country there have been periods of anger and unrest over electricity and a variety of other problems. But always before strikes and demonstrations were well publicized in advance--much more so than is the one scheduled for Tuesday. Why is that, even though the problems today are worse than ever before? Does it mean the people are more resigned to hard times, or is their unrest seething at a different level. In otherwords, is it potentially more explosive than ever before?

One thing that is different now than before is that the President seems to have the Army in his pocket. Accomplished by giving them everything on their wish list. I worry about what this might mean if there is a serious protest on Tuesday or in the future.

A second difference between now and the past was that always before you could hope that things would be better if, for example, there was a change in the President. But I don't see anything good on the horizon, at least not in near future. The country is in such terrible shape now due to the practices and policies of the current administrtion that I don't see how any incoming president can change things in the short term. In other words, I think that things may have to get worse under the new president before they can start getting better.

Finally, all of the expats that I have talked with who have lived in the DR for a period of years are far more sympathetic to the idea of a serious protest than ever before. Not one has said it is a good time because he/she is getting more pesos for his dollara/euro. Everyone has said they would much prefer to go back to a time when the rate of exchange was much lower and and the country was stable.

Johnny Magpie

Nov 8, 2003
Kens wisdom

Rumors-heard in the Hall

*Disclaimer*

The stuff I post- is what I am hearing- while hanging out at the Colmados/ Discos/ Police-Station/ Shooting Pool/ etc/ etc?..

I will never guarantee- it?s authenticity or accuracy. Just that I heard- while hoisting some Cervesa.

Johnny Magpie agrees with everything Ken says especially about the ex-pats wishing for a more stable pesos.

Johnny Magpie is soooooo tired of being one of the few spending any pesos.:tired:

At the corner colmados I still buy Cervesa but all the regulars are drinking cheap rum now.

I was checking out at super-market yesterday I had 2 shopping carts filled with supplies at the register and everyone walking by is staring whispering pointing at me. What really is telling was when I looked at all the other registers and people on line- not one person had a full cart most are buying just enough for a day or two- 15 to 20 small items thats it.:surprised

Unrest seething at a different level
This is absolutely true! People have been removing all the photos and banners of the hungry hungry hippo from their personal property. Longtime supporters are not talking nice about this guy anymore.:angry:

But always before strikes and demonstrations were well publicized in advance--much more so than is the one scheduled for Tuesday.
IMHO
cool-smiley-030.gif

Just like the allowance the business community is giving the government to buy the IMF loan- you do not have to be rocket scientist figure out that the government is broke$$$$ the central bank has no reserves to back up the currency. The media and other organizations used to love taking his baldness to task over blunders in the past- like it or not they have to keep it together from scaring off the big money lenders or the end will come all that much quicker. So I think we are seeing a silent solidarity to make the outside world think things are under control here and that no organization wants to be the one to rock the boat right now.

One thing that is different now than before is that the President seems to have the Army in his pocket.
IMHO
I think it might be how generous he has been with them.

Ken in your 17 years here can you recall a president who has been more generous to the military than this one?
I think I remember reading where each person got a piece of property I think a total of 8000 lots of land were awarded to military.

A place were I get my haircut used to have a great big poster of that burrows ass on his wall- its gone 3 weeks now and the shop owner who is a PRD Deputy and was a staunch defender of the PRD and loved to discuss daily going ons with me with unbridled passion and loyalty is now walking around his shop with a long face- crying about the cost of everything and has even taken to badmouthing his baldness.:angry::angry:

I dont think the tuesday protest will be very much. I think the situation at the power plant is what will spark a fire storm.
No fuel means no electricity for the businesses. Have you tried to buy a COLD cervesa lately all the guys tell me the same thing sin lu.

I will write more of the streets beat once Im sure this all makes it through Rob.

I dont want to post under my real name because this is mostly hear say and a few people choose to debate things to hell and back from their pc in alaska- you know what I mean?

Also heard but not seen in the news.
A friend was discussing a big round of terminations at Banco Popular. Allot of senior managers were considered nonessential and let go with their liquidation pay. I'm waiting for more on that and will post accordingly.

Johnny Magpie

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Johnny Magpie, it would be better if your two posts and mine were the first in a new thread. Here they are buried at the end of a long thread that most are now passing by because they figure any new posts are just a continuation on the long debate about democracy between a few posters.

I'm certain there would be much more interest and participation if this were a new thread.

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Hola Johnny Magpie!!!!!!!!

Ken
Your wish is my command!!!!!!!!:cool:

Johnny Magpie, you probably already got one of these from me, but just in case you didn't.

DR1 has---
Members: 4,731, Threads: 25,448, Posts: 160,964

Do your homework (Search, Search, and Search again!)
Ask your questions.
And Good Luck!

By the way---
Welcome to DR1!!! :cool::cool::cool::cool:

Thanks
Tim H.

Help, and be Helped.
That?s why were here!!!

Last edited:

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Johnny Magpie

Your words ... "A place were I get my haircut used to have a great big poster of that burrows ass on his wall- its gone 3 weeks now and the shop owner who is a PLD Deputy and was a staunch defender of the PLD and loved to discuss daily going ons with me with unbridled passion and loyalty is now walking around his shop with a long face- crying about the cost of everything and has even taken to badmouthing his baldness".

Don't you mean the PRD??? PLD is Leonels lot & the ones that will hopefully be given the task of sorting His Baldness's inadequacies out from August of next year!!

It would be interesting to hear the opinion of your barber as to why "El Hippo" REFUSES to hear the will of his own party re the non re-election issue. Buy him a cervesa or two & give us the lowdown please!!! Also, could you check with him as to how many of his fellow PRD friends will be voting another way this coming May?? - Grahame.

Johnny Magpie

Nov 8, 2003
Rumors-heard in the Hall

*Disclaimer*

BushBaby

Your right PRD no PLD. Im waiting for reconfirmation on some PLD gossip and its all I have on my mind.

It would be interesting to hear the opinion of your barber as to why "El Hippo" REFUSES to hear the will of his own party re the non re-election issue. Buy him a cervesa or two & give us the lowdown please!!! Also, could you check with him as to how many of his fellow PRD friends will be voting another way this coming May??

I know the last half of your question but I'm waiting till tomorrow to put it up. I need to get the first half felt out on the street.

later

Johnny Magpie

pasha

Sep 4, 2003
Johnny.....

Johnny Magpie said:
Rumors-heard in the Hall

*Disclaimer*

More rumors & gossip coming soon!Johnny Magpie
keep it up....you're talking about things, verified or not, that are pretty important and interesting to me at least. Sort of where the mental rubber meets the road.

Best, P

Johnny Magpie

Nov 8, 2003
Rumors-heard in the Hall

Johnny Magpie

*Disclaimer*

Ken
It would be interesting to hear the opinion of your barber as to why "El Hippo" REFUSES to hear the will of his own party re the non re-election issue. Buy him a cervesa or two & give us the lowdown please!!!
I asked him and some of the old timers playing dominos if there so fed up with government?s current crises how were they going to vote.
PRD!PLD! over an over
action-smiley-051.gif

It took some time and a gallon bottle of rum I sent a kid to fetch to get them to sit down and stop yelling at each other.

I told them I wanted to ask some more questions without getting into a debate over which party is better or who is to blame that I wanted to know if anybody was voting for hungry hungry hippo and why.

He and some of the other old timers sitting around started with tales of the rebuilding from hurricane george that a lot of people lost their homes and started pointing to houses around us saying that those people had their houses rebuilt by the political party they belonged to. He pointed out more than 10 houses around us.
They told me that a lot of people depended on the favors gifts and salarys they received from the party they belonged to and that you support the party no matter how you feel. If he is told to vote for hippo he will vote for hippo no matter how he feels about it.

I asked about hippos decision to run again against the party majority.
That started them yelling at each other again. They calmed down and explained that they feel hippo should not run that everybody is pissed what this guy is doing to the party and that he shouldn?t run again. But that it didn?t matter and hippo can say whatever he wants they will do what the party tells them even if its to vote for hippo again.

He mentioned another old timer we both know.
He asked if I ever saw the montero at his house with the 00004 government plate on it and I told him yeah about once a week maybe more. He explained that everybody knew for a fact that he was receiving 3 salary?s form different positions he held and that his wife gets 2 and his son and daughter get a salary each. I told him that the only one I ever see going to work was his wife and he said yeah she works in the mayors office and just smiled.

I asked how about the younger people in the family
The shortened answer is that the younger people working their way through collage and making it on their own were voting for other guy. But the ones that are living day to day hanging around on the corners in the pool halls will vote the way their family tells them to.

Also, could you check with him as to how many of his fellow PRD friends will be voting another way this coming May??
Only if the party tells them to nothing else matters. If the party says vote hippo they will vote hippo.

I asked all of the old timers if they knew why things were so bad right now.
After they calmed down one thing was clear- none of them knew why it has gotten so bad but all of them blamed hippo as the man responsible. And that it is going to get better soon.

I asked why they say that.
Because it cant keep going on this way. The government has to fix this mess.

Or maybe not?

I?ll talk to some more people and get back.

Johnny Magpie

Last edited:

Johnny Magpie

Nov 8, 2003
Rumors-heard in the Hall

Johnny Magpie

*Disclaimer*

Johnny Magpie got this anonymously.

your post
I don't want to post this on the board but you are correct about the military. They will be activated Monday AM

Or maybe not?

I?ll talk to some more people and get back.

Johnny Magpie
food-smiley-004.gif

Last edited:

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
I appreciate you starting this thread, which may prove to be quite entertaining and amusing. However, I feel I need to say something. You claim to be a member of the board who picked this name as an alias. If this is true, could I question the motive behind the name? Perhaps you didn't give it much thought, but I know that everytime I see your name posted, a feeling of sadness comes over me, thinking of the dearly departed Johnny Honda. You're even using his trademark :bandit: smiley. Maybe I'm being oversensitive (not the first time!!!), but I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking it's a little inappropriate, given the recentness of Johnny's passing. I don't mean to seem harsh, but I really can't look at your name without thinking of Johnny, and I'm sure others are there with me. It would be different if you were a newcomer, but since you are a "regular" you probably know of Johnny...don't you think you could've picked another name to post under, given the circumstances? Many of us knew and loved Johnny...

Last edited:

Johnny Magpie

Nov 8, 2003
Remember the good.

Rumors-heard in the Hall

*Disclaimer*

Only good thoughts allowed.

JohnnyHonda had a no-nonsense approach for telling it the way it was. And I really respected him for that.

He could make his point in one sentence where most people needed an hour.
action-smiley-083.gif

The name is an old name I wrote under back 10 years ago.

Not that any relation was meant but I wont use his trademark.

Rumors-heard in the Hall

Some fellas I know working in the resorts were picked up by bus last night if they would stay in the rooms provided for them n/c. The resorts are looking to have their guys avoid traveling during tuesdays scheduled events.

And other people were going around organizing rides to bring who ever wanted to go to gathering spots for the events.
costumed-smiley-019.gif

Allot of people talking angry last night and saying they wanted to go- more people on soapboxes than anything else. But there is a group of people waking up out of their haze long enough to say they were going.
angry-smiley-055.gif

So it looks like people are expecting a show.

I took Kens ? Around town and asked about 70 people ranging in age from voting age on up.
Also, could you check with him as to how many of his fellow PRD friends will be voting another way this coming May??
Its amazing when you get a small group together how quick everybody becomes interested.
Here were the results.

20% were over 50yrs old
Will vote the way they are told by the party even if its for hippo.

80% were 17 - 40yrs-old
Would vote for anybody other than hippo no matter what the party said. No matter what they had enough.

They older generation are absolute loyalists.
The younger generation cant take it any more.

But the discussion between the older group and the younger group center stage was the cost of food and gas along with the peso to dollars. The item that kept coming up the most was 4 pesos a egg- chicken 25 pesos a pound- the pesos to dollar rate.
Never once did the electric or banniter bank or the fmi really come up.
action-smiley-060.gif

Or maybe not?

Johnny Magpie
food-smiley-004.gif

Last edited:

pasha

Sep 4, 2003
Serious question.....

though this may belong in another thread.....will the government change just because poor people are miserable? Quick thinking about regime changes recently, it was a grumbling middle class [Iran] or new money [Equatorial Guinea] or a military coup [Guinea Bissau] that saw incumbents out the door. Can same apply in DR?

Best, P

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Which just goes to prove

That we have an extremely ignorant electorate!

If they had read Pedro Silverio's editorial last wek or the one in today's La Informacion or any of Bernardo Vega's editorials, perhaps a more informed opinion wold be forthcoming.However, there is the " hard" vote from the PRD, those that will vote for the PRD if they have a pig for a candidate. I really liked the idea that theyounger voters are perhaps thinking a bit more. In my classes, at least 60% of the students are thinking PLD.....

It looks like the PRSC has a very long way to go...

Magpie, I am enjoying this...

HB

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Your use of a "Nom de Plum" makes me cringe!!!

It "De-legitimizes" everything you post!!! "Who Cares" what some annonymus peson has to say about anything!
One of the things that makes "DR1" so great,and differenciates it from other boards,it it's "Intimacy"! It's "Club" feeling!

Do I care what someone I don't "Know" has to say?Not likely!

How can we respond to you,we have no form of reference!

I will respect you,after you come out of the "Closet"! Not Before!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCcris Colon

How about a "Free Beer" for the first person to "OUT" you!!!?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I'll pass on the beer, Cris, but I will be very surprised if it is not who I think it is.

Chiri

GringoDiablo

Nov 8, 2003
As a regular DR1 reader, I know exactly who it is through consistant misspellings. Can we guess!??! can we can we?????
Just kidding, Johnny Mag keep posting this is interesting.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I think it is "Timex"!!!!!

What do "YOU" think???????

1.-------------------------------------------

2.-------------------------------------------

3.-------------------------------------------

Cris Colon

Johnny Magpie

Nov 8, 2003
Rumors-heard in the Hall

Johnny Magpie

*Disclaimer*

Just passed by the police station lots of guys down there getting their posting orders for tomorrow about 100. I was surprised to see some zombies I know who get paid as no show policman were standing there they were complaining to me that they were upset because they have to work tomorrow.
violent-smiley-077.gif

Or maybe not?

Johnny Magpie
food-smiley-004.gif