How to Keep Awake in Meetings and Seminars

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Do you keep falling asleep in meetings and seminars? What about those long and boring conference calls? Here's a way to change all of that.

1. Before (or during) your next meeting, seminar, or conference call, prepare yourself by drawing a square. I find that 5"x5" is a good size.

Divide the card into columns-five across and five down. That will give you 25 one inch blocks.

2. Write one of the following words/phrases in each block
a. synergy
b. strategic fit
c. core competencies
d. best practice
e. bottom line
f. revisit
g. expeditious
h. to tell you the truth (or "the truth is")
i. 24/7
j. out of the loop
k. benchmark
l. value-added
m. proactive
n. win-win
o. think outside the box
p. fast track
q. result-driven
r. empower (or empowerment)
s. knowledge based
t. at the end of the day
u. touch base
v. mindset
w. client focus(ed)
x. paradigm
y. game plan
z. leverage

3. Check off the appropriate block when you hear one of those words/phrases.

4. When you get five blocks horizontally, vertically, or diagonally, stand up and shout "Bullhockey!"

Testimonials from satisfied "Bullhockey Bingo" players:
-- "I had been in the meeting for only five minutes when I won."- Adam W., Atlanta
-- "My attention span at meetings has improved dramatically."- David T., Florida
-- "What a gas! Meetings will never be the same for me after my first win."- Dan J., New York City
-- "The atmosphere was tense in the last process meeting as 14 of us waited for the fifth box." - Ben G., Denver
-- "The speaker was stunned as eight of us screamed 'Bullhockey!' for the third time in two hours."

Chopical

Jul 6, 2003
That's hot! I'm thinking I'll take that to class and hand it out to my friends so we could all play together and learn.

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
sadly enough

I could do one geared to Maine teachers.

1. assessment
2. MEA
3. benchmark
4. "No child left behind"
5. discipline
6. MLR
7. technology
8. LADS
9. MAPS
10. mentor
11. failure
12. statistic
13. budget
14. ATM
15. polycom
16. rural
17. initiative
18. special ed.
19. PET
20. IEP
21. certification
22. professional
23. provisional
24. literacy
25. adolescent

I'd win that game in three minutes. Arrange those words any way semi-coherently and you've got a day of workshops at my school.

All those acronyms are a real pain in the ass but are used with great abandon. They all have to do with learning....but half the staff looks clueless when they are used.