Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Monthly Expenses

I have gone through many of the old posts and have summarized what I think would be reasonable monthly costs for living in Northern DR. I have assumed that a house and car are owned outright. Please let me know if I am "out of it" with any expenses or if I am missing any that I should be aware of. Any comments would be welcomed. Thanks Tom

DR Expenses (US$)

Insurance:

House $100.00
    Car $100.00
    Life $100.00
    Health $100.00

House:

Electricity $150.00
    Water $75.00
    Internet $50.00
    TV $50.00
    Phone $100.00
    Security $100.00
    Food $250.00
    Car Gas $150.00
    Car Repairs $100.00
    Entertainment $200.00
    Misc $400.00
    Golf $200.00

Total $2,225.00

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

How many people? Just you?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry - It would be two people - my wife and myself...Tom

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

too much money round it up around $1500 us

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

If I have overestimated costs by that much can you please show me for each category where I went wrong. Thanks for any input...tom

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

funny i just posted this in another thread and then read this one, check it out for my current budget...........

http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php...5&pagenumber=3

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a generall high budget; you'll be living quite well.

You should not need car repairs - and if you do, car repairs don't cost much.

You may want to consider cost of gas for your generator

Water is too high; water is about $8/month

Phone probably won't be that high unless you're calling the US a lot

TV locally costs $10/month; I imagine it won't be $50/month unless you have satellite.

Security cost is high, I don't think you will need that

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Thaks AdrianB. I would be looking at a Satelite. Never thought of Generator gas (thanks). With Water it looks like I am way to high. A monthly security fee seems to par for the course in the gated communities from my understanding. I looked at Juans costs and they seem very low. $1500/m as per erixxson post would be great to live on but that to me seems over optimistic from my understanding of prices. Any other info or comments would be great...tom

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Costs

I think your groceries may be a little low. Granted, I do cook a lot (much more than beans and rice, not that there is anything wrong with that), do some baking and always have a supply of snacks on hand and our groceries run around $100/125 per week which is about what I spent back home (Georgia).

Also, you didn't mention domestic help, unless that is covered under miscellaneous. We have a housekeeper who comes in three days a week for RD$1500 per month and sometimes have a gardener/handyman for RD$150 per day.

Even though your water is high, you will have two different bills for that. Your cistern and bottled water. Our cistern water bill is RD$250 per month, but rarely do they provide enough water for our needs. We generally buy at least two additional truck loads per month at a cost of RD$400 for both. Bottle water is RD$15 for 5 gallons and we use between 8/10 per week depending on what I'm cooking and how much ice we make (lots). There are three of us full time (Danny, myself and his 91 year old mother) and our housekeeper for 3 days a week (with meals on wheels those 3 days for her family).

Groceries, electricity and L/P for the generator are our biggest expenses.

Dianne

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Meals on wheels

I have been looking for that description for ages. Dianne, You are too funny. My household staff consists of a cook, a cleaning lady, a babysitter, another full time lady who fills in for the day offs, a Gardner and a horse trainer. It is an invisible line item on my grocery bill with astronomical figures. Boy, them meals have huge wheels. Donít they? like monster trucks! Could you please find me a name for another big expense line item for spoons, forks, knives and everything else in the kitchen that fits pockets? There is never enough of those and I am always buying utensils in large quantities. How about the childrenís clothing? Holy macaroni! One of these days we are going to go broke.lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast