Strike

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Anyone can tell me how the strike is going in the north? Santiago Puerto Plata, Sosua, Cabarete?

Here in Santo Domingo its been practically shut down. Very low transit. Some buses are going around but transporttation is hard.

I just heard some there are some protests in Capotillo and a dead person in Los Mina. You can see military guys all over the place.

Is the strike untill tomorrow or is it undefined?

DR_DEFENDER

Jan 8, 2002
I definitely would like to know what's going on down there and I'm sure I'm not the only one so any information regarding the strike is appreciated.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Samiam

According to the News at 10 AM the strike is still in a low key milieu.
According to the US Embassy Notice, the strike has been extended til 6 AM on Wednesday.
I don't have any more than that.

Texas Bill

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Well, I just got back from the Bagel shop and I nitoced some businesses open. Traffic still low, I guess things will stay quiet untill the afternoon.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Boca Chica/ Andres Report

I left for Toronto today. All of Boca Chica was open as usual. Army at the Burger King/Shell station and more cops than usual including Politur which you need like a hole in the head at any time.

Apparently Andres had more activity and a lot of shooting guns, up in the air, not at people.

The garbage and mail services were as usual ( such as they are in Boca Chica - the mail service is better described as the mail guy with the scooter). Schools closed, more due to transportation than anything else. The airport was unaffected, same lousy service and grouchy people as any other day.

The main thing that was noticable was the total lack of gua guas from East or West, so the main effect of the strike was the poorest people (maids, waitresses, hotel workers, in San Pedro for instance and in the the capital) desperate for transportation to work couldn't, so the value of this strike to prove a point to the big cheeses is a bit lost.