Buildings with 24hr water/electricity

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Hi,

For people living here in buildings with backup generators and water..

How well does it work? Is it always on?

Do you always have electricity, even in times like now when there are real shortages? If so, how does the extra expense work out?

Does the building charge the residents for the higher gas consumption?

I have heard some of these buildings only run off the generator a few hours per day. So even if you've picked a building with backup power, if there are severe power shortages, you will still be out of luck.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I live in El Neptuno in Sosua. We have 24-hour electrical service. When price of fuel goes up, we pay the additional. Somebody has to. The danger to us is that with so much use, some part is likely to fail sooner or later.

Yes, there are buildings that provide service on a scheduled basis. If you live in one, it might be a good idea to have your own inverter.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The only apartment building I know of that offers 24hr power in the capital is "Naco 2000". They generate their own power and have never been connected to the grid. They also have central air.

I think the price is a fixed monthly fee dependent on gasoil prices.

The building I'm in now runs the generator 6am-9am, Midday-3pm and 6pm-midnight. The rest the inversor takes care of.

Water has never been an issue as we can also tap into an underground well if needed.

We have had just 2-3hrs of power today.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Well, if its not a bit too much for your budget, you might want to see if Malecon Center is for you. It will be a city within a city on the most beautiful avenue in the city (ie. the Malecon). It will be three towers (32 floors each) of apartments and penthouses, a fourth tower which will be a Hilton run Hotel, and at the base there will be a shopping mall, cinema, restaurants, blah, blah, blah. In short, luxury to spoil the heck out of any human being lucky enough to live in such a place. But here is the beauty, they will be generating their OWN electricity. It would probably be 24 hours because of the Hotel and Shopping Mall addition. Add to that the wonderful views of beautiful (if noisy) Santo Domingo and the Caribbean Sea, and life could not get better in the best metropolis in the Caribbean.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I was at the to-be-completed Malecon Center around 2 months ago. It looks very nice and the views are amazing!

I have no idea of the price, but I'm sure you can negotiate as it's a buyers market right now.

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
For your own water supply, you should install a tinaco. They aren't too expensive. I put in a 500 galon one. Best money I ever spent.