new storm forming?

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
Looking at the satellite pics at http://www.goes.noaa.gov/pr2.html and http://www.goes.noaa.gov/HURRLOOPS/huirloop.html it looks like something forming right in front of our door... doesn't it?
It's not a tropical storm yet, but it seems to me, that this clouds are getting better organized from hr to hr.
Even if it does not develop into a cyclon, I think in the next day or 2 we might get really wet here. This system soked allready the Lesser Antilles with rain they haven't seen in 10 years.

XR, what's your opinion on this system?

quaqualita

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The National Hurricane Center isn't reporting anything as yet, but the excellent Puerto Rico website www.tormenta.net reports that the weather system has tropical characteristics and that it was to be investigated by a NHC plane today.

Una vaguada se encuentra sobre el Canal de la Mona. Se espera que se pueda fortalecer hasta el punto de generar un centro de bajas presiones cerca de Puerto Rico hoy. Esta baja presi?n se mover? tan lentamente que todav?a el jueves pudiera estar influyendo sobre el tiempo local. Para complicar a?n m?s la materia, es posible que esta baja presi?n adquiera caracter?sticas tropicales. Un avi?n caza huracanes estar? investigando el sistema.

Con las lluvias que ya nos han afectado, y con el riesgo de que siga lloviendo la mayor?a de la semana, el potencial de inundaciones es bastante alto. Adem?s, pudieran haber deslizamientos de terreno en las colinas y monta?as de la isla dado el estado saturado del suelo. Para el mar costero se ha puesto en vigor una advertencia a las embarcaciones peque?as.

xcptnl

Nov 12, 2003
weather

Say it isnt so about a storm. I am headed to DR this Saturday. What is the outlook from there...hard to tell from the weather sites here.

Thanks for any info!! It will be our first time there and really looking forward to sun and sand.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The National Hurricane Center has posted this Tropical Weather Disturbance Statement:

WONT41 KNHC 122021
DSAAT
SPECIAL TROPICAL DISTURBANCE STATEMENT
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
325 PM EST WED NOV 12 2003

AN AIR FORCE RESERVE UNIT RECONNAISSANCE AIRCRAFT HAS COMPLETED ITS
INVESTIGATION OF THE BROAD AREA OF LOW PRESSURE IN THE NORTHEASTERN
CARIBBEAN SEA. THE AIRCRAFT FOUND THAT THE LOW STILL DOES NOT HAVE
A WELL-DEFINED CENTER OF CIRCULATION...AND SATELLITE IMAGERY SHOWS
THAT THERE IS LITTLE THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY DIRECTLY ASSOCIATED WITH
THE LOW CENTER. WHILE THE SYSTEM HAS NOT YET ACQUIRED THE
CHARACTERISTICS OF A TROPICAL CYCLONE...IT IS SLOWLY BECOMING
BETTER ORGANIZED...AND A TROPICAL CYCLONE COULD STILL DEVELOP
DURING THE NEXT DAY OR TWO AS THE SYSTEM MOVES SLOWLY
NORTHEASTWARD.

REGARDLESS OF WHETHER OR NOT THIS SYSTEM BECOMES A TROPICAL
CYCLONE...IT IS EXPECTED TO PRODUCE HEAVY RAINS OVER PORTIONS OF
PUERTO RICO...THE VIRGIN ISLANDS...AND THE NORTHERN LEEWARD ISLANDS
OVER THE NEXT 24-48 HOURS. THESE RAINS WILL CONTINUE TO RESULT IN
POTENTIALLY LIFE-THREATENING FLASH FLOODS AND LANDSLIDES. FOR
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ON CONDITIONS IN YOUR AREA...PLEASE CONSULT
STATEMENTS ISSUED BY YOUR LOCAL WEATHER OFFICE.

FORECASTER FRANKLIN

According to an earlier report from tormenta.net in Puerto Rico, this weather system has been moving in a north-northeast direction. If this continues, it shouldn't come anywhere near the DR. The rain we are experiencing this week is due to a different weather system, one that is parked over our island.

xcptnl

Nov 12, 2003
weather

Thanks Ken. I appreciate it. Is the rain you are getting expected to move on out or will it be around for a while?

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Thanks, Ken!

I have been down with power generation problems the last few days so I couldn't chime in. Thanks for filling in!

Tom (aka XR)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The report from Puerto Rico indicates that the National Hurricane Center will be sending another plane today to investigate the low pressure area that seems to have potential for further development. However, according to Puerto Rico, the center has begun to move slowly toward the north-northeast but this movement is expected to speed up today and tomorrow. There are no indications that this weather system will bother the Dominican Republic.

As far as the rain we have been experiencing the last couple of days, it may make you feel better to know that it is much worse in Puerto Rico. Periods of 2-3" per hour are being experienced. Serious flooding is a real concern there.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Sheesh, how can it make you feel better when the rain is worse than here and it has been raining just about every stinkin day. One day it didn't rain a friend had an emergency and I had to help him out instead of enjoy the sun.

I GREW 2" 's in the last friggin week!

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Scott, why don't you stop back out to Xanadu.

I have some nice low-class cheese here for you to go with that whine of yours.

The rain's been lovely here! Such a nice break from the hot sun all the time. It rains, then the sun is out 10 minutes later. Beautiful clouds, great fresh breezes! We run out to the pool just to be able to swim in the rain. It's marvelous!

Poor Puerto Rico, though. They've been right underneath that thing for days. That I wouldn't find so much fun.

Tom (aka XR)

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
It has to be better than the frigging snow storm we are now having here. I couldn't believe the change from yesterday.

Ok moderator you can't delete my post coz I'm about to add:

Only 12 days left and I'm in Sosua ;) woohoooo

xcptnl

Nov 12, 2003
Weather

I am just hoping for sun-I know rain is needed everywhere at some times...I just don't want it be while I am on vacation. Picky aren't I???

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
xcptnl, hopefully the weather system is moving on. Beautiful blue sky and bright sun as I write, first we have seen for nearly a week.

xcptnl

Nov 12, 2003
weather

Ken-thanks so much for the good news!! It is great to have this forum to be able to converse with people there. I know I probably sound like a silly tourist. Thanks so much for your time!

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Been great in S.D.

Not too hot, nice breeze.

It got sticky this afternoon and a wicked (new england weather term) collection of black clouds came rolling in.

It looked like a twister was going to touch down.

The cell above the coast was sucking up the rusty fumes of Metaldom, it was quite a sight.

Then torrential downpours for an hour.

I'm with X on this one, I welcome the rain.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
excptnl, we had rain again early this morning, but now sunshine. Probably alternating rain and sun today. Weather man in Puerto Rico says this weather system is weakening and starting to move out of area. Still good chance of some rain during weekend, but there should be sun as well. PR weather also says a strong high pressure area expected over east coast of US this weekend, and its movement should bring us nice weather for much of your visit. I am not responsible, but there is reason for hope. For sure I am hoping, I've had enough rain for this week.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
In the Cibao Valley

We have had rain for the past seven days. This morning dawned with a light but very damp drizzle. It is now sunny.

More rain this past week then we have seen in a very long time. Heavy downpours and then good drizzles....Now it has to clear up and let us work!

HB

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Rio Yasica - Islabon

River is flooding badly!! It has risen at least 12 feet and is running at around 20 knots carrying huge trees and debris with it. Riverside properties and Campo adjacent are all flooded!!
We certainly do not need any more rain!!!!!!!
Peter

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
That's the price you pay for wanting to be a flat-lander I guess and build or live in a flood plain.

Yes, true, it has been raining for days with brief periods of sun in between. It's just seems different becuase it's been a while since we've seen this. It's been pretty dry these last few years. Actually we have had only about 6" total for the whole week here. There were two days back in February where we had 9"! So at least the total got spread out over a longer time to help keep the flooding to a minimum.

I have driven that road at Islabon a lot Peter. I wonder if you can even get to Chris's old place up there at the moment?

Tom (aka XR)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Sure is great to see all the sun today. Everybody happier and more relaxed. Let's hope this period of rain is really over.