Researching DR Move

drvuswld

Nov 11, 2003
Hi all...Hope everyone is doing well after yesterday...

My Husband and I are researching/investigating (thoroughly) a move to the DR North Coast (probably Sosua). He's a Master Electrician (we now own a home repair business on the west coast of Fla.)

Do you believe he could maintain a small/moderate (relative) income from doing electrical (including new construction) and/or repairs in the area? I have a fixed (net $27k/yr. income), so this would be in addition. If you don't believe he could, is my income alone enough to live adequately?

Any input would be greatly appreciated...;)

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
There is at least one established electrical contractors in Sosua that is good. The owner speaks English. I think it would be worthwhile for your husband to speak with him to see if there might be a place for him there.

It is also possible, over time and through word of mouth, to make the services known to other expats and part-year-here home/apartment owners. This could produce a fair amount of work.

Keep in mind that what he could charge here would not be anywhere near what he is probably getting in the US.

drvuswld

Nov 11, 2003
ty Robert...I have read that, and I don't know how much more specific my question(s) could be. Example?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
On US$2,250 income per month you can live very well. Take a look at the threads on living expenses to see how.

Can your husband get work? I'm sure over time that it will not be a problem. Will he work for the money he could earn? That I cannot answer.

Working as an electrician here is like nothing your husband has ever experienced :)

Think no wiring code, color coding, earthing and minimal safety.

drvuswld

Nov 11, 2003
Hey, thanks Robert...lmao...he appreciates the humor too...says he's used to that (worked on foreign ships, offshore oil rigs from other countries, etc., etc.)

We DEFINITELY thank you for your insight! :cool: