Codetel - Consumption Limit

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Codetel turns the screw again. Codetel forwarded a notice dated Oct. 7, received in the house today, Nov. 12, informing they are assigning a limit of consumption for residential lines. They are setting a peso limit to your monthly bill based upon your habitual consumption. My limit was set to about twice the normal statement amount.

They explain when your calls exceed the limit a Codetel rep. will call and inform you that your access to long distance and to cellular phones are blocked. You have the option of paying then to remove the block or continue with the block until your accustomed payment date. If you opt to be continued with the block you will have only access to local and emergency calls.

This has me wondering if Codetel is having a cash flow problem. Anybody have insight? Regards, PJT

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
This is normal practice, they have been doing it for a while.

Cash flow problems, I doubt it!
They have always been VERY profitable.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
I think it's just their way of limiting liability in case the client doesn't pay after running up an enormous phone bill.
I got the same notice, but since I never reach the limit, it doesn't really bother me.
It does keep some of your long winded friends from bankrupting you without your permission.

Texas Bill

D & D

Jul 17, 2003
Not really sure what all this means, but

We received a notice saying our limit is RD4,200. Does this mean we can't go over this limit without suffering some type of penalty? Don't think we will, but if this is to keep people from going south on their telephone bills, they may be a day late and a dollar short. If the number of cell phones is any indication, many people have already been black listed by Codetel.

Dianne

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Credit limit

Codetel has been doing this for as long as I can remember. The only difference now is that they are phoning their customers and advising them, whereas before, they only called you when you reached your limit. As Texas Bill mentions, it's just their way of limiting their losses, should a client skip out on his bill.
Marco.

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
It seems to me it is their way of preventing fraudulent use of your phone by a maid calling her Haitian girl friends or other unauthorized use for which the customer will undoubtedly scream and refuse to pay.

T

TiberiusMineola

Try the local Codetel office ? ?

I had the same problem 2 - 4 months ago; when the Codetel employee explained the situation to me, I visited the local [POP] Codetel office; I asked how my monthly limit had been established? Nobody knew, or, all pretended not to know. I asked that my current monthly limit be tripled; I forget what the acutal #s were. The Codetel customer sevice rep checked something; I waited @ 5", with the Dominican patience I've mastered. ? in Santo Dominco said my limit was being increased to what I was requesting - a very reasonable #. 2 hours wasted! Yes, as usual. But, . . to give diablo his due, I haven't had the same problem since.