Secrets vs Paradisus

peteb

Oct 30, 2003
Can anybody give me an honest comparison of Secrets and Paradisus? My wife and I are planning a trip Q1 2004 and have narrowed our search down to Secrets or Paradisus. I haven't seen many trip reports for Paradisus, so it has been hard for me to research.

It might help if I gave you some info on our likes/dislikes. We like all-inclusives with good food and friendly bartenders. We like there to be plenty of activities going on. We aren't big on laying/hanging around at the beach (unless beach volleyball is being played), but we love pool bars. We've been to Jamaica AIs several times. Our favorites have been Grand Lido Braco and Sandals Dunns River. We are golfers. We aren't big tourists. We would spend most of our time at the resort, maybe one shopping trip. Possibly more if something was within walking distance.

Do both resorts have pool bars with barstools in the pool? It may sound odd, but barstools in the pool are important to us. In the past, we have spent a lot of our days in the pool partying and getting to know people.

Also, if you give me any info on Paradisus, can you let me know if there were many children running around.

Anjanettea

Jan 23, 2004
Paradisus

I too am planning a trip to DR this year, for my 30th b-day. I have read mixed reviews at Trip Advisor, Where To Stay, Debbie's Dominican Travel and a few other places. The main complaints have been about food and service.

My mom and I have stayed at the Gran Melia Cancun, so my mom is expecting the same level of service at the Paradisus.

When I spoke with the Melia reps, I told them I had no children traveling with me, and they said the Paradisus would be the better place.

There is a picture of people sitting at the pool bar.

http://www.paradisuspuntacana.solmelia.com/

Hope I was some what helpful.

Please let me know how you trip was and if I should avoid the Paradisus.

dwntwn22

Aug 25, 2003
secrets

I wanted to let you know that I have stayed at Secrets and visited the Paradisus to gamble and can honestly say that Secrets is better for what your looking for....the food is absolutely great at all the restarants...the shows are great and the pool is really great and yes they have pool bar stools...one pool is topless and the other pool has the bar. The staff keeps people busy with volleyball and games as well as horseback riding and water sports...the ocean is rough on that side of the island but the pools are much more fun. I found the Paradisus to be a very large and formal complex. Lots of buildings and the lobby was huge. Its close to shopping and im not so sure about golf, you would have to check with the activities desk. Paradisus is a beautiful place and picking between the two is hard, I know.....but Secrets will keep you busy and having lots of fun Good luck in your choice...

Anjanettea

Jan 23, 2004
Secrets - Question

Is Secrets for Couples? Only asking b/c it would be my mom and I going for my birthday.

Also, in another thread, someone posted their comments about Paradisus, again it was about the service.

dwntwn22

Aug 25, 2003
secrets

Secrets is an adult only...no children...I went with my girlfriend and her boyfriend and had a great time, its not a "couple's" only resort like some of the other famous ones, believe me your mom would have a great time too...