Dagerous Dominicana????

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I am tired of hearing how bad dominicana is becoming from the mouth of Dominican-Yorks. They all keep saying (here in NYC) that dominicana is being taken up by the devil. Crime is at levels that just make people cry, considering how safe it used to be, so they say. I have one big beautiful question about all of this. How much more dangerous has Dominicana become. Is it more dangerous than the "Hot Spots" of NYC, Miami, or some other major city in the world? Is it all relative? Sure, it might be a bit more dangerous than it was ten years ago, but is it hail on earth???? Please, leave politics out of this one.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Oh, that helps. I was exaggerating. I know nowhere is hell on earth, actually I can pin point some places but anyways, how is it? 1. Is it worst than before? If so, how much worse?
2. Is it something to worry about before stepping outside the door?
3. Are dominicans exaggerating because they had never seen such thing in their land? And if so, is the crime there comparable with that found in the USA and Europe? Comparable in the sense of how bad are the crimes in themselves (on average), how frequently are they, and are they widespread or only "contained" in the usual "hot spots".

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Nope. Again (X3)

Nal0whs said:
Oh, that helps. I was exaggerating. I know nowhere is hell on earth, actually I can pin point some places but anyways, how is it? 1. Is it worst than before? If so, how much worse?
2. Is it something to worry about before stepping outside the door?
3. Are dominicans exaggerating because they had never seen such thing in their land? And if so, is the crime there comparable with that found in the USA and Europe? Comparable in the sense of how bad are the crimes in themselves (on average), how frequently are they, and are they widespread or only "contained" in the usual "hot spots".

1. Nope
2. Nope
3. Yep. Yep. Not much.

Quit worrying as a tourist.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Thank You for your reply. By the way, I am not a "turista" or will be one until a good 6 or 7 months from now, unfortunately. It's just that dominicans seem to talk about that issue as if the end of the world is about to come, I just wanted to make sure it was true or not.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
So far this year,about 3,500 Dominicans have been deported

After serving their time in American Prisons for being convicted of crimes.These are not Immigration Violations,I mean drugs,robbery,assaults,etc.Now do you think these "Tigerasos" get here,find a good job,and live "Happily Ever After"?

I have lived here for 8 years,I live in Arroyo Hondo,wasn't until last month that I saw a guy die in front of my house!He was shot on the main road,(During a "Lights Out") he was chased by the two guys who shot him.He fell off his motorbike(He was delivering for a colmado) under MY Street Light! They stole his money,delivery,shoes,and the motor bike!

Eight years ago "Street Crime",as apposed to Government crime,was not even a topic for discussion!Now I am careful what neighborhoods I drive through,don't stay out until 4 am anymore,and am "Armed"!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
Cris, your mere physical presence would be enough of a deterrent. See you at Rocky's over Thanksgiving.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Criss Colon, would you say that Santo Domingo is more dangerous than New York City or Miami? What part of Arroyo Hondo do you live? I know the neighborhood starts with upper crust mansions in the southern part and then ends up with the most humble of shacks at its northern end.

Lissy

Nov 12, 2003
I go to the DR 1-3 times a year. When I go my husband ownd his house in San Fransico de Macoris (urbanizacion) his mothers house is in the "barrio" this city is not touristivo at all and the crime there does not compare to the crime in NYC or Miami...which I am originally from NYC and now live in Orlando, FL. You have nothing to worry about. I have gone to Puerto Plata, Samana, Bavaro, Punta Cana, Higuey (la romana too) and SF de Macoris is not as"good" as the others. Crime in any counrty has escalated in the last 10 years. Your main concern should be drinking bottled water...and not the crime. What Chris has said because so many people are armed and can be legally in the DR unlike NYC...there is less crime(in my opinion).

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Thank you all for your replies. I wasn't concerned to the point of deciding if I should visit the DR at all. I am going to go downthere unless a war breaks out or something, but I was concern on whether I should limit my "touristy" activities to the day time. I am not an all-inclusive type, I need culture, people, and a real sense of place rather than being locked up in a pretty but restrictive compound. I appreciate your replies, and I will take more precautions on the water issue than the actual crime rate. Thank You all.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"It Is ALL Relative!"

I live in Las Colinas.It is between the Zoo,and La Puya,one of the "Barrios Calientes" of Santo Domingo!

I feel "Safer" walking down the "Malecon" at 2 am on Saturday night,than walking around Times Square.

The "Problem" here is not "crime" ,but "Corruption"!

CCCCCCCCCCC:bandit: