How to know when your inverter is running low

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Hey guys,

Tonight my inverter ran out of power. I didn't know what was going on, except my computer's UPS started beeping a lot.

Finally the power ran out, so I've started up the generator to recharge it. The neighbours won't be happy (its 10:30pm), but I need to finish some work before leaving to the US tomorrow morning.

Anyways, my question is, how can we know with a trace inverter, when the batteries are running low? I would have charged up my batteries this afternoon if I'd known they were so low.

Adrian

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Inverter running low

Here in NYC we have a whole different definition of knowing when your INVERTER is running low.

I think that has to be a whole new different tread.:>)

JOHN

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
Some batteries have color coded charge indicators. I've recommended several times having at least one such battery powered inverter system (as little as $200), especially for the computer.

It might be worthwhile to have all the batteries that way in the bank of even the main system.

Another way is to connect a voltmeter across the terminals. The voltage declines gradually as the charge decreases. A calibration chart for that particular type battery can be posted and compared against the reading of the meter.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Low batteries

Hi Adrian,
I monitor my batteries by volts, as suggested in a previous post. Assuming you are using standard refillable deep cycle batteries, as most of us do, then you can follow these rules.
On a 24 volt system, a full charge is 26.8. (halve these figures for a 12 volt system) The moment you have a power failure, the measurable voltage will drop into the 25's, as you begin to consume battery power. Usually the cut off point is 22.8 and the system will automatically shut down at that point, so as to not overdischarge the batteries. To do this on an ongoing basis would shorten their life span.
On Trace models bearing the DR letters in the model number, you have a control which allows you to overide the minimun voltage (22.8), so as to allow you to squeeze a wee bit more out of them. Sometimes you need to do this, just to allow you to have a lightbulb on, long enough to get your PC properly shut down and to give you a bit of light to see your way around while you get it together to fire up your generator.
If you maintain your batteries well by equalizing them once a month, keeping them topped up without overfilling them and giving them a good shake-up once or twice a month, will vastly improve their performance.
If you need any more specific info, let me know.
Marco.

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
You can also check the battery acid with a tester. It isn't worth the trouble though unless you are checking to see if your battery might be worn out. A voltage reading is easier to deal with and not as messy.