Home Exchange

posterperson

Nov 12, 2003
We belong to a service called www.homeexchange.com which allows you to exchange houses (or condos or ?) with other people for a week (or two or three, or a month or two or three...) and so far we have exchanged to New Hampshire and California but we would love to exchange with someone in the Dominican Republic, but guess what? Out of the MANY countries with home exchangers listed on the site, there is not ONE from the Dominican Republic! Why?! I mean..what's up with THAT?
We sent an email to the adminstrators of the site and not only do they not know why, they have also been trying to figure it out!
So....if anyone knows of another home exchange site that does offer places to exchange in the DR, or if anyone knows the answer, or if anyone has a place to exchange, please post a follow up here. THANKS! :)

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
The reason maybe none of us wants to exchange is we don't want to go anywhere else but DR!

In fact, since owning a villa there, the only other place we've been to is Arkansas for Thanksgiving!

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
hello Posterperson

and welcome to DR1. So, tell me about the home you have to offer for exchange. My wife and I have a great little house on the beach in Cabarete. We intent to list it in a couple home exchange clubs some time after the first of the year. Send me your e-mail address and I'll send you some pics.

posterperson

Nov 12, 2003
sancochojoe said:
is this some form of timeshare

Not a timeshare, but a place swap. The only $ involved is if you pay a small annual subscription fee to a homexchange website-based service. But you are not required to purchase anything (unlike a time share)

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
I tried.......

.......to send you the pics to the address you sent but they bounced back. I will be away from my computer until Monday, I'll try again then.

posterperson

Nov 12, 2003
Re: I tried.......

Camden Tom said:
.......to send you the pics to the address you sent but they bounced back. I will be away from my computer until Monday, I'll try again then.

Thanks for letting me know. My email inbox was apparently too full to accept large photo files, but I have fixed that now so please try again. Thanks.

DRdiving

Nov 2, 2003
I would be interested in a home exchange as well with someone that has a place in the DR. I have a year round cottage/home on Lake of Bays, Muskoka. Lake of Bays is probably the nicest lake in the Muskokas. It is the second largest lake, very scenic and hilly and less populated than the south Muskoka lakes. It is on the south west border of Algonquin Park 2.5 hours from Toronto. It has all the amenities, power boat, Hobie Cat Getaway, tandem sea kayak, paddle boat, satelite, dobsonian telescope, dishwasher, laundry, dryer... It has three bedrooms and two bathrooms. It has southern exposure and a million dollar view of Bigwin Island, home of one Canada's best golf course. And for those of you looking for a one of Canada's pride and joys, Shania Twain has a place about a minute down the shore.

Some links about the area:

http://www.bigwinisland.com/
http://www.muskoka.com
http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/

I've also got a syling bachelor pad in downtown Toronto. It's about 1200 sq feet and minutes to anywhere downtown.

If anyone is interested and wants any pictures, let me know.

Chris.

Last edited:

DRdiving

Nov 2, 2003
Posterperson,

How was the experience when you did the exchanges? Were there any problems organzing it or adminstering it? Do you actually meet with the people or are you traveling to their place as they are traveling to your place? Sounds like a great idea.

Thnx.

posterperson

Nov 12, 2003
DRdiving said:
Posterperson,

How was the experience when you did the exchanges? Were there any problems organzing it or adminstering it? Do you actually meet with the people or are you traveling to their place as they are traveling to your place? Sounds like a great idea.

Thnx.

We are registered with www.homeexchange.com for a very small annual fee, and we had no problems organizing our exchages as all arrangements and details are done DIRECTLY between property owners. We never met the people, only started with emails, then phone calls, then yes, we are travelling to their place as they are travelling to our place. It's really a "feel your way through it" process. It involves total honesty (what a concept!), and many conversations take place and questions get asked and answered BEFORE you both say "OK, Let's do this!" Remember, it only works because of the MUTUAL RESPECT you each have for the other's personal property. That is essential. Good luck!

DRdiving

Nov 2, 2003
Seems like a concept that would work because you will respect their place as you'd hope they would respect yours. Thanks for the info!
Chris.

Last edited:

sunnyvillas

Blocked due to spamming
Apr 29, 2003
home exchange

Ok, I know this is a crazy request, but if someone wants to do the home exchange with Denmark in the winter, let me know.

Always willing and ready. Did one hopme exchange with Rom ,Italy and it was great...lots of work though, but the price was right;)

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I have done home exchange several times and it worked well. I no longer do it because there is no where else I would want to go other than the DR. I have done London, Orlando and Daytona and had a great experience.

Escott

Darlene Wheeler

May 29, 2003
I have never done a home exchange, I would not exchange my private home. However I have a 1 bed/1bath condo on the beach in Cabarete, with a pool . I also have in the USA on an island an oceanfront 3 bed/2 bath condo, with a covered deck facing the ocean & a screened in deck facing the intercoastal waterway. It aso has a swimming pool, plus tennis courts.If anyone is interested please E-mail me for more info. Thanks
Darlene