Gun Laws in DR???

Well I did find this

Santo Domingo, Oct 17 (EFE) - Dominican authorities are
concerned about the more than 790,000 firearms in circulation
among the general population, the country's top prosecutor said.
"The Dominican government is concerned about this
situation," Attorney General Victor Cespedes told reporters
Thursday.
He did, however, praise efforts by the armed forces and the
National Police to search for and confiscate illegal weapons.
Speaking at a conference Wednesday at the Santo Domingo
Autonomous University, National Police chief Gen. Rafael Guzman
Fermin said there are more than 790,000 firearms in the hands of
the general population, 400,000 of which are illegal.
Coupled with other social ills, including poverty and a high
crime rate, gun possession "makes for an explosive mixture and
puts the general population at high risk," Guzman said.
The police chief criticized the lax gun laws in the
Dominican Republic that allow "anyone" to own a firearm, and
added that "it is naive to expect police to successfully battle
crime and violence in the face of this situation."
Dominican legislators last month said that increasing gun
violence could lead to a revision of the laws regulating firearm
possession.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Legally,you need a "license" to carry!Local,or Foreigner

This can be obtained "Legally" after you have your resdencia,or citizenship, and now costs about 4 or 5 thousand pesos.

I believe I said I was "Armed",NOT that I carry a "Fire Arm"!

I also would not endorse the carrying, or use, of "Firearms,by foreigners!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Re: Legally,you need a "license" to carry!Local,or Foreigner

I also would not endorse the carrying, or use, of "Firearms,by foreigners!!!![/B][/QUOTE]

I agree with Chris, If you obtain a legal permit and carry a Firearm with you it will be confiscated......I used to keep my 9mm. with me in my car and when stopped at a inspection road block it was found under my seat and they told me that I could go to The Capital see a Captain and it would be retured to me PRONTO.

My 9mm. is legal my permit is up to date and they still took it away.

The moral of the story is if you are a GRINGO and have a Firearm make sure you keep it in your house, That was a lesson I learned 5 years ago and RD. $14.000 Pesos or US $1000 in those days later. ( Plus I had to take a day off to go from Pto.Pta. To the Capital and sit around all day waiting )

Having said that I would not be with out my 9mm. One day I was having a conversation with my Lawyer and she asked me if I would have the nerve to use it if the sitution warrented it....I told her I would not think twice about using it if someone broke into my house and threatened my family.
My Lawyer then said what ever you do make sure if you have to shoot someone for breaking into your home that you wait untill they enter your house before pulling the triger, because if you shoot them on your property (outside of your house) you will have big problems....

Gringo

Last edited:

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
At the end of my first trip, I was in a taxi going back to POP airport when the cab driver opened the glove compartment and laying right there in front of me was a huge pistola! I was shocked! Why would a cab driver have a big gun laying in his glove compartment? Definately not a good thing. I carried a gun for years as per my former occupation and I fully understand and respect how dangerous they are. I do not like guns. I definately do not like the idea of brugal swigging cab drivers and so forth carrying them. My 2 cents.
Larry

ZEUS

Bronze
Feb 14, 2003
Me & My BABE

Wherever I go, my silver BABE goes with me. Of course, I do have a valid permit..

Zeus (primus inter pares)

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
About 4 years ago I was sitting at a table in a bar in Cotui with my American wife and a bunch of friends. There were about 12 of us drinking and chatting. At one point one of my friends stood up to go to the restroom. As he stood up my wife realized that he was carrying a gun. She leans over and says to me in English "Do you know that guy has a gun?" I have to laugh as I tell her that out of the 12 of us sitting around the table she and I are the only ones who are not packing.
Just a little story to illustrate how pervasive gun ownership has become in the DR. At least all my friends owned them legally. In my hometown there was a guy, who passed away last year (thanks god) who built home made guns called Chilenas and sold them to all the Tigueres (guys). Everyone knew it and the cops never did anything about it. So pretty much the whole town is armed one way or another. As a gringo I would not carry a gun and show it off, however I know plenty of people (some in my own family) who own guns and carry them in plain sight as if it was the old west. It is a also a common thing for these people to shoot up in the air to celebrate any event (i.e. new years, Aguilas won the title, etc...)
About 10 years ago I was in my hometown for new years. As the new year arrived a bunch of guys started shooting up in the air to "celebrate"...Next thing you know one of these bullets hits a power transformer and leaves the whole town without power for about three days. I will always remember that one.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Pistol Pete (Is that a gun in your pants, or are you glad to ...whoops not any more!)

I was at the now defunct El Calderon Dominican / Haitian food joint in Boca Chica a couple years back when a Tigre ( with the pre-puberty mustache / sweat pants combo look) had a nice Glock 17 in his obviously weak waistband and during the meal the gun slid down into his crotch then slowly down his leg to the floor at least 3 times, the last of which had the waitresses and the owner and us and the Tigre's partner in stiches.

I am not sure how fast you can draw your gun when it is stuck in your jockstrap or in your pantleg. I am just glad it didn't go off each time it hit the tile floor ( and in most cases skidded out of his reach as a result).

What a dork. I doubt he had a permit.

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
A DR lawyer that I've known for years, who is right at home in appeals court, wouldn't even let a conversation get started about my getting a weapon. The implication was that it's not worth the risk, even if it kills me not having one.

Concerning Glocks, they've been tested by dropping from 10 feet or more without "going off". Isn't Teutonic (Austrian, in this case) precision nice. Unfortunately, it has no human safety, but compensates by having a hair trigger. Go figure. Sounds like Dominican logic. Of course Glocks are the favorite of cops everywhere - they can always get away with blaming it on the gun if they get into trouble for shooting somebody.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
andy a said:

Concerning Glocks, they've been tested by dropping from 10 feet or more without "going off". Isn't Teutonic (Austrian, in this case) precision nice. Unfortunately, it has no human safety, but compensates by having a hair trigger. Go figure. Sounds like Dominican logic. Of course Glocks are the favorite of cops everywhere - they can always get away with blaming it on the gun if they get into trouble for shooting somebody.

Glocks come from the factory with a 11-12 lbs trigger pull. In case you don't know...8 lbs or less is considered light.
Glocks are popular with police because they subsidize the sales to police forces and actively market them.
Check out what IPCS shooters and the F.B.I. SRT's use. It sure isn't a Glock!

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
Tony C,

I absolutely stand by my post.

I also absolutely believe in the right to keep and bear arms, lest I be misunderstood.

Still, it is hard to think of a legitimate reason for the Glock, except for crooked cops to blame it on the gun.

I happened to be in Phoenix ca. 1990 when a cop stopped a teenager for speeding and trying to outrun him. When he finally pulled the kid over, he held his glock with one hand and shook the kid with the other. The gun went off, not from IT being shaken (it's nearly perfect mechanically) but from the cop's shaking. The kid was shot between the eyes and killed. Of course the cop went scot free, although the state paid a settlement to the parents.

An FBI agent, a private citizen, or whoever would be a fool to carry such a weapon concealed on his person. The trigger could get caught on clothing and pulled enough to fire. Even reaching for it could fire it.

Cops, of course, carry it in an external holster where safety is not a concern FOR THEM. It's easy to draw that way while keeping the finger off the trigger, but even if it fires, it's pointed away.

I personally suggest that everyone learn to recognize a Glock, and ABSOLUTELY do not argue with anyone pointing one at you. He may accidentally sqeeze the trigger. Wait until he lowers it to "say anything back". Simply think of it as trying to calm an angry bear. Unfortunately, many guns used by airport guards are Glocks.

For those interested, here is one of many links for more information:

http://www.snipercountry.com/hottips/HandgunsGlock.htm