Bioluminescence in the waters of the DR

Elenavieques

Nov 14, 2003
www.elenas-vieques.com
I presently live in Vieques, ( small island off the east coast of Puerto Rico which is presently more than 50% US Fish & Wildlife Reserve). I am planning a trip to the DR to look for bioluminescence there. I have heard rumors of it, and verified the rumors, but so far no one has told me where to look. Does anyone know where there might be a bioluminescent bay / lagoon in the DR? or where to look.

Paramaters would be a fairly enclosed mangrove lagoon with a small channel to the sea. It would most likely have a depth of around 12-20 feet. ( as shallower would make the water heat up too much and a fairly restrictive opening.

I am a kayaker here in Vieques. www elenas-vieques.com and would also like to do some kayaking in the DR. ......any suggestions? ... NOT talking whitewater here, nice, easy Sunday driving type kayaking through interesting places. Any info would be much appreciated. Elena

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I have heard and have read about what you are looking for. Supposely, the best place for that bio stuff is around the island of Catalina and Saona in the Southeast of Dominicana (around La Romana). That area also has the best beaches in the world and a perfectly intact coral reef as well, the best along the southern shore of this island. Other than that, not much happening around the island's coastline, except for about 10,000 humpback whales that migrate to the Bay of Samana on the Northeast of Dominicana.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
About kayaking, you might want to try going up or down the super scenic Chavon River (it's in the same area of the bio thing). The dominican coast is very irregular with lots of ocean front lagoons, bays, etc. and there are many types of rivers which range from whitewater types to lazy meandering ones. Basically, pick up a map, contact a tour operator (the best is Iguana Mama in Cabarete, DR), and off you go!!

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Rio Cumayasa

Located quite close to the islands of Saona and Catalina (at the mouth, Catalina is in view). I went towards the ocean primarily, but the river goes quite a ways north into the interior and there are endless mangroves and fishing to be had.

Access is easy and there is parking around too. The locals were very friendly and I met some VERY interesting characters out there.

email me and I'll get you the information I have and send you a few pictures of my kayaking there.

Last edited: