Social Class vs. Economic Class

Status
Not open for further replies.

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
In Latin America social class is what counts. Social class comes down to a good family name, prestige and the racial/color category you fall into. You must have a very good command of language, conduct yourself properly, look like a gentleman or a lady and act like it if you want to be looked up to and be treated with deference. It does not really matter that your economic level may be low and that your life style is limited by your limited income. Your social class will be much higher than your income and that has an important and positive psychological impact on your self esteem.

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
Above Post

Sorry, I had meant above post to be a reply to another post but I pushed the "new post" button instead of the "reply" one. So it looks like a new discussion thread but that was not my intent.

Due to the large amount of young millionaire atheletes i.e. Sammy Sosa the rules are changing. The name, color etc will not matter as much. Sports creates a new kind of elite class, by bring people who were once part of that lower class and through sports convert them into an elite class. His children will benifit from it the most and assume those behaviors you described by going to the best schools and living in the better communities.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Maybe with education and good upbringing Sammy Sosa's kids will be accepted into the elite class but it is doubtful.
2 reasons:
First: what are the chances that Sammy will be able to educate them properly in what is acceptable behavior? He has no clue so how can you expect him to teach his kids what it is?

Second: You forgot one of the most important requirements for membership in the elite.....Breeding. The kids will always be the children of Sammy Sosa. New rich, low class, chopo.

While Finacial success is the main form of gaining entry into the Elite class the way you acheive that succes is important as well. Athletes and other entertainers are looked down with disdain by the Elite! Sammy will never be a member of the Elite Class.

Tony C said:
Maybe with education and good upbringing Sammy Sosa's kids will be accepted into the elite class but it is doubtful.
2 reasons:
First: what are the chances that Sammy will be able to educate them properly in what is acceptable behavior? He has no clue so how can you expect him to teach his kids what it is?

Actually I beg to differ, only from what i've observed mind you, since I'm not part of the "elite class". I've seen several rappers interviewed and some had their kids with them. When you heard their children talk you would think this was not this Ruff necks kid. The Child was articulate well mannered, etc. Pretty much the kid was nerdy. The point is even those people coming from the worse situations that make it rich will make every effort to get their kids placed in the best schools, so they could established themselves.

Tony C said:
Second: You forgot one of the most important requirements for membership in the elite.....Breeding. The kids will always be the children of Sammy Sosa. New rich, low class, chopo.

Breeding is just a matter of hanging with other rich people and marrying into those families. Atheletes and Movie stars do it do.
The rich, low class, chopo is usually coming from the jelousy of other lower class people. When you can get streets, buildings named after you and influence the masses of a population, your not small peanuts, and thats envied by the elite of the elite just to be in the presence of a rich athelete.

Atheletes are signing 100 million dollar contracts now. Thats not small peanuts even to the elite. They are making their mark.

But its all subjective talk unless we actually hear it from the elite classes mouth.

ClippedWing

Jan 12, 2002
Tony C said:

While Finacial success is the main form of gaining entry into the Elite class the way you acheive that succes is important as well. Athletes and other entertainers are looked down with disdain by the Elite! Sammy will never be a member of the Elite Class.

What is this Elite Class in the DR you're always speaking of? Is it a secret society or something? I mean do you have to pay dues to belong? Can you give some examples in US terms? Is there a difference between US elite and DR elite and what's so pressing about being a part of this class that you speak of?

Michael Jordan was born poor, is he a member of the elite class? How about Oprah?

I think this whole "elite" stuff is a bunch of baloney. So Sosa can't drink tea and eat crumpets with a bunch of stuffy elitist because he was born poor? Oh poor Sammy, If I were him I'd just go buy a Lamborghini or something to make myself feel better.

Mar 21, 2002
The first time I agree with Tony C. Unbelievable, the end is near. Armageddon is here. Tony C. hit it on the spot.

The term elite is played out and old.

I guess the benchmark would be Bill Gates since he is the richest person in the world.

Sosa is no Bill Gates, but I don't even think Bill Gates defines himself as elite.

Those who do, I agree with the poster who said they are a bunch of stuffy elitist.

How much is Sammy Sosa worth?

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
ClippedWing said:
What is this Elite Class in the DR you're always speaking of? Is it a secret society or something? I mean do you have to pay dues to belong?

Yes

ClippedWing said:
Can you give some examples in US terms? Is there a difference between US elite and DR elite and what's so pressing about being a part of this class that you speak of?

The best example would be the Old New England Families of the US. (kennedy's need not apply) In the DR you are looking at direct European ancestry. Mostly Spanish and a smattering of Italian.

ClippedWing said:
Michael Jordan was born poor, is he a member of the elite class? How about Oprah?

Nope

ClippedWing said:
I think this whole "elite" stuff is a bunch of baloney. So Sosa can't drink tea and eat crumpets with a bunch of stuffy elitist because he was born poor? Oh poor Sammy, If I were him I'd just go buy a Lamborghini or something to make myself feel better.

Only the people who don't belong make those complaints! Don't worry it doesn't matter to them what you think of them.

You guys have to understand that Money alone is not a criteria to belong. Bill Gates with all his Billions, is not a member of the elite class! His Kids have a shot. A slim one!

Last edited:
in my book they are elite because they have what 99% of citizens in the world do not.

In my book, that is elite, no matter how you put it.

The kennedys were nothing but Moonshiners, hustling liquor illegally. thats how they made their wealth.
They only represent 3 generations

The whole topic is just a matter of perception.

Tony believes elites are simply wealthy people from Old Europe and nobody else qualifies and maybe how many generations wealth has stayed in the family, thats why he does not qualify opera who is worth 1/2 a billion dollars.

Last edited:

roca

Jun 23, 2003
I must agree with Tony. You cannot buy your way into the elite, most probably you are just born into it. It's the same as having class, you cannot buy it, you are born with it. You see it everywhere, at clubs, at restaurants. Sure, they both can say hi to each other but they will never mingle. The elite-wanna-be will invite an elite to his home in order to gain acceptance but it will not happen the other way around. A very good example are social "revistas" from Hoy and Listin Diario. En Sociedad, which belongs to Hoy, caters mostly to the new rich, people with lots of new money, but no class and no acceptance. Ritmo Social (Listin) on the other hand, caters to the true elite. Just take a look at their respectives "Tardes de Te". And you see this behaviour in all age groups, couple of 20 year olds, sons and daughter of politicians, TV reporters and the like, hanging with the true elite, yet once their backs are turned, oh my god what a chopo he/she is. You want an even better example? Sammy's birthday is coming up, to be celebrated in Casa de Campo, and it's the talk of the town. That's his way of wanting to gain acceptance. Even worse, is the amount of chopos he's inviting. You should see those seeking acceptance are going crazy over the dresses they have to have made. And when the party hits the news, then and there you will be able to determine who is elite and who isn't, just by the way they dress. Now, I wonder why I don't have a house in Casa de Campo or I'm an ex-member of the Country Club. Oh yeah, the new rich are invading our places.

ClippedWing

Jan 12, 2002
Tony C said:
Only the people who don't belong make those complaints! Don't worry it doesn't matter to them what you think of them.

You guys have to understand that Money alone is not a criteria to belong. Bill Gates with all his Billions, is not a member of the elite class! His Kids have a shot. A slim one!

So this elite class is just a select few that nobody even knows? And so "elite" that even Bill Gates, Michael Jordan and Oprah can't even get in? Okay they really sound boring and I don't see what's so special about wanting to belong to this class. They don't sound fun at all.

I'm glad they're not worried what I think of them because I surely don't give a rat's ass what they think about me and my middle class life.

And it can't be that many of them, especially in the DR. If you made $1,000,000 there are only about 100,000 people in the entire world richer than you and most of them are right here in the good ol US of A meaning this "DR top secret sacred elite society" has to be really small.

Tony are you a member of this elite class?

ClippedWing

Jan 12, 2002
roca said:
You want an even better example? Sammy's birthday is coming up, to be celebrated in Casa de Campo, and it's the talk of the town. That's his way of wanting to gain acceptance. Even worse, is the amount of chopos he's inviting. You should see those seeking acceptance are going crazy over the dresses they have to have made. And when the party hits the news, then and there you will be able to determine who is elite and who isn't, just by the way they dress. Now, I wonder why I don't have a house in Casa de Campo or I'm an ex-member of the Country Club. Oh yeah, the new rich are invading our places.

Why is it that Sammy Sosa throwing a Bday party means he's trying to gain acceptance? Why can't it mean he's just throwing a birthday party? So if I go by your theory. Everyone who throws a big huge birthday party wants to gain acceptance to an elite circle filled with a bunch of nobodies that noone has ever heard of?

And if he was really trying to gain acceptance why would he invite a bunch of "chopos"? Why is it a bad thing to invite chopos, the same chopos from which he hails- to his bash? Sounds like these chopos might be some really fun people that he wants to share his bday with and serves as a reminder that Sammy remembers where he came from.

There's a disconnect in your theory. If I'm trying to get to Rome, I'm going to mingle with a bunch of Romans not the French. But If I don't give a flying fart, I'm a mingle whomever I want no matter what their status is.... as it appears Sosa is doing by your statements.

Smooches...Clip

Island Treats

Sep 5, 2003
SOSUALIVING.COM
My grandpa use to say "In this world in which we live there's a difference between an old man and an elderly gentlemen and an old woman and an elderly lady."Then I would ask what's the difference?
He would say"HEALTH and MONEY".:cool:

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Who cares? I can still delete, lock, edit, ban or sin bin them regardless of their social status.

It's all about power baby!

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Elite means having money you did not earn. Being whiter than the rest. And posing like your shit don't stink. That about sums it up.

TCIDR

Sep 7, 2003
Elite class

AZB can tell you all about them. They all live in Santiago. He mingles with them all the time.

I love to hide and shoot.

Funny! *shakes head* Oh boy this forum get me smiling a whole lot.
I wonder how many DR1 members want to be a part of the elite class.
Which would you perfer? social or economic power?
Popularity or finances?
Experience or wisdom?
* and add to the list*
How about being comfortable and/or really comfortable.

In reading about culture around the world, alot of people really don't like who they are.
If one accept whom he is, then he shouldn't have a problem himself.

Then again I am just trying to fuel this conversation eh.

I took note that these type of thread bring people in by the NUMBERS.
And oh don't talk about haitian....then the population really increases

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
mondongo said:
Elite means having money you did not earn. Being whiter than the rest. And posing like your shit don't stink. That about sums it up.

Written like somebody who does not know what he is talking about.

Their are many cultures in which the Elite are not white. Ever hear of Japan? How about Africa?

It always amuses me whenever I hear people bashing the elite. It just shows both thier their ignorance and their jealousy.
It is the elite who created culture and society. If it wasn't the elite we would all be banging drums around the campfire for music and drawing on caves for art. Literature, Philosophy, modern goverment, all of what makes up cuture and socierty exists because of the Elite Class.
Try to get over your jealousy of the fact that most have Lots of money(Not all). Money does not make a person evil or bad. Jealousy makes a person bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.