driving from SD to Samana.

andres

Sep 1, 2003
I was wondering about driving directions from Boca Chica to Samana.
From the map I saw it looks like you can drive route 4 outside Boca Chica to route 23 to get to Bayaguana. Then cotinue to Monte Plata.From there it seems you can get to route 5 between Nagua and Sanchez.Then take 5 to Samana.
Does anyone know if this is possible? I would appreciate info. Thanks.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
That is the route for the new highway, but it is not finished yet. We drove it from Cotui southwards a couple of years ago in a very hardy 4WD but it was slow, tough going and VERY DUSTY. On the other hand, it was very scenic. If you do attempt it, please report back to us.

Chiri

andres

Sep 1, 2003
Does it save you any time? Is it a paved road all the way. Can I do it with my rental car and not have a problem?
Someone must read these posts that has driven to or knows how to get to Samana the easiest way from Boca Chica. The whole island is only 5 0r 6 hours across

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Maybe someone has more up to date info about the state of the route you mention, but I would guess it was still unpaved and not a quick option at all, especially in a car as opposed to a 4WD vehicle.

So, until the new highway is finished your quickest route is into Santo Domingo to take the autopista Duarte towards Santiago, turn off either

- at Piedra Blanca and go through Maimon, Cotui, Pimentel, to Nagua, then to Sanchez and Samana.

OR

- San Francisco Macoris to Nagua and then Sanchez and Samana.

Each option has its pros and cons, and the SD-Samana stretch takes 4 hours.

Buen viaje!

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Our taxi drivers that regularly make the run to Santo Domingo tell us that the cutoff route at Piedra Blanca that passes through Maimon, Cotui, Pimentel and Castillo has fallen into even worse condition and you're best bet is to stay on the Duarte and take the San Francisco de Macoris cutoff.

At one time the Piedra Blanca cutoff was quicker taking the shortcut, but with the condition of the road it's now about the same amount of time or more depending on local traffic (plus it's a lot more dangerous route). Also, the road is still unmarked as it passes through the towns and it's easy to miss the turns. We never recommend this route to our guests that rent a car and drive up from Santo Domingo.