looking for items

ronks

Aug 13, 2003
Greetings all

I have finally made the move and am living in Sosua. I came with quite a bit of items for my computer, clothes and personals and am relieved to see that one can get most anything here. However, I have not been able to locate a couple of things: cotton sheets (double bed) and free weights (25 lb. dumb bells). I cannot sleep on polyester sheets, and I need the weights to work out at home. On a recent trip to Santiago, I could not locate either. Any suggestions as to where I can locate these items would be much appreciated. The closer to Sosua the better.

Thanks

Ron

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
For sheets, have you tried Casa Nelson in Puerto Plata. They have a big selection of fabrics and bed linens upstairs. Never really looked to see if it was all cotton or a bland or whatever. But if they don't have it I am sure they would be glad to suggest somewhere else.

Weights I have seen in PriceMart in Santiago. Was thinking of buying some as a gift for a worker here who is a gym rat. They have several nice free wight sets reasonably priced some with a weight bench as well. They also have a selection of pillows, sheets, etc. More limited than Casa Nelson, but more Americanized, too.

Tom (aka XR)

P.S.
Welcome to the neighborhood!

marina

Jan 2, 2002
www.kitexcite.com
good luck finding cotton sheets! When I first moved here I scoured Puerto Plata (including Casa Nelson) and Santiago and couldn't find 100%. Now, I have seen some at Plaza International in Santiago at that really nice but somewhat pricey store at the end of the mall. Best bet is to get someone to go to Ross, Marshalls, etc. in the US and send or bring them to you.

RE: weights, there is also a workout store in Plaza Inernational. I think I have also seen them at the American Fereteria over there. But, the gym in Sosua is only 300 pesos a month so you might want to consider going there:)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
RD$400 for gym. New, better managed gym will be opening sometime in December.

I've never looked for free weights in Santiago, but do know they are easily obtained in Santo Domingo.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
As a temporary measure, try putting some cement into a suitably sized tin, sticking a small metal rod into the middle, letting it dry before repeating with another tin with cement in at the other end. Find it works fine for me & ONLY a few pesos!!!

Let's start a thread showing inexpensive ways of doing what we would normally pay $$$'s for??!!

I.E. Lochosa + brown sugar cooked well = cooked APPLE!!

Stop the mosquito bites itching = Black or white Essence of vanilla - very cheap here & makes you smell very sweet!!

Wanting a HOT time in bed?? Choose a time when the power is off & another earthquake is about due!!

Too much sun & becomming pink?? Try rubbing in gently the local yogurt. It's great fun having the wife (or girlfriend) lick it off too!!

Any OTHER bright suggestions for a cheap way of living??

Grahame (AKA Mr. cheapy cheapy!!!).

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Been there. Have that!

BushBaby said:
... try putting some cement into a suitably sized tin, sticking a small metal rod into the middle, letting it dry before repeating with another tin with cement in at the other end. Find it works fine for me & ONLY a few pesos ... Grahame (AKA Mr. cheapy cheapy!).
I was going to mention that. I have that same brand of free-weights here already BB! LOL.

Tom (aka XR)