opening a tee shirt shop

buoydawg

Nov 16, 2003
I would like to move to the DR, but must have some income. I have been told by some DR visitors that a gift/tee shirt shop catering to the Canadian and European tourists on the north coast would be a good business venture.

I have experience in this line of work, but have not been able to determine the need, competition, rental space availability, etc.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Have you spent time in the DR? If so, did you not see the multitude of shops selling souvenirs/gifts/t-shirts/Haitian paintings?

Don't rely on this board for input on which to make a decision. It will be your investment, not ours, that will be lost if it doesn't work out. You must come and make a careful study of the area you are thinking of locating a shop in, then decide whether another is needed, or, rather, how you can make your shop so desirable that it will be a success while the others are just getting by most of the year.

GirlieGirl

Jun 19, 2003
Wont work

A tee shirt only shop will not work here in or around Cabarete... sorry to bust bubbles just saving you some headache.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
You need to come up with something more original or diversify. Tee-shirts shops are as common as banana trees in a flood plain. Focus on a unique business as a bait with Tee-shirts as a sideline. For example, set up a novelty photo portrait shop to take photos of tourists in traditional Dominican costume and backdrops. Sell the photos with or without frames, have Tee-shirts and trinkets as a sales sideline. Regards, PJT

gilbert

Nov 19, 2003
Re: The "T-Shirt" idea is NOT a good one!

Criss Colon said:
You might want to try selling "Sand" to the Arabs,OR,"ICE" to the Eskimos!!! Just a thought!!! :confused: CCCCC

rofl

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
I am NOT an avid souvenir shopper, but I have looked for T-shirts and I have noticed that most T-shirts designs here really are very poor and not very original or attractive. Perhaps if what I have noticed really is a widespread trend, you could come up with a way to cash in on the tourists who are looking for something that actually looks good and is unique and are willing to pay for a bit more for it.