"guzman" inheritance

Status
Not open for further replies.

muzik2407

Nov 17, 2003
hello,

what do you know of the 'guzman inheritance'? I have heard rumors of it since I was a child. I would like to get more information. Thanks.-

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
muzik2407 said:
hello,

what do you know of the 'guzman inheritance'? I have heard rumors of it since I was a child. I would like to get more information. Thanks.-

This is a fascinating story. My best friend's family (Spaniards) claim to be descendents of "El Baron de la Atalaya" (as he was crowned by the queen of Spain). The baron was a fearless soldier sent to the DR and supposedly died there. He was never married and his fortune is being held in Spain. Needless to say, many have come forward to claim the inheritance, but have not had in their possession what the Spanish authorities are looking for.

Last edited:

muzik2407

Nov 17, 2003
"guzman inheritance"

Well, in my family, they swear they are the "only" decendants. And you are correct, the banks & lawyers have requested certain documents. Again, my family swears they have "it". Also, years ago the only rightful heirs are those with the guzman name and with a mystery surname. Again, my family swears they are the heirs to both last names. But yesteday as I understand it, there was a spanish tv report. It was reported that all guzmans will have an equal share and that the trustees have 60 days make a formal announcement. So yes, its an interesting story that hopefully my generation will finally get some closure. Thanks for replying

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Re: "guzman inheritance"

I know for sure my girlfriend's family have a lot of evidence connecting them to the Baron. There are not that many families in the Cibao area with both of the last names. Perhaps you guys are all related. Wouldn't that be something.

Good luck to all of you.

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Ok, I'm asking.

Can we have more please????????

We all like a well told adventure.

The web turned up nada.

Thanks
Tim H.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
This is a recurring story. My father, a Guzm?n and a lawyer, was contacted again and again for years by distant relatives, including an archbishop, requesting his help in investigating the inheritance. He never paid any attention to it and always believed it was scam by some Guzm?ns to get some easy money from relatives for free trips to Switzerland.

When I became a lawyer, it was my turn. A group of cousins from Salcedo, Moca, Santiago and La Vega approached me and asked me to investigate. I told them I didn't believe the story was true but that if they wished I would retain Swiss counsel to do some preliminary work. Of course, they would have to pay the legal fees in Switzerland. I would not charge anything for my services. They accepted and I proceeded to write the following letter:

February 6, 1992

Dr. XXXXXX
XXXXXXXXX
3001 BERN, SWITZERLAND.

Dear Dr. XXXXX:

A report from the Spanish news agency EFE has appeared in the local press indicating the existence of an unclaimed inheritance in Switzerland belonging to some members of the Guzm?n family here in the Dominican Republic.

According to the EFE report, a copy of which you will find enclosed, a bank employee has confirmed to the news agency the existence of a bank account, opened in 1865 by Jos? Eugenio Guzm?n, with a current balance of over a billion dollars. The bank is identified as the Swiss Volkbank in Bern and the account number is given as 284-5123-32z-0148.

We have a group of clients here in the Dominican Republic who claim to be descendants of Jos? Eugenio Guzm?n who are interested in finding out the truth of the press reports with the intention of claiming their share of the inheritance. They have asked us to contact and retain Swiss legal counsel to look into this matter.

We would like your law firm to make the necessary inquiries to ascertain the truth of the press report and, in case the estate really exists, to give us a legal opinion with regards to the possibility of our clients claiming part of the inheritance.

Please let us know as soon as possible if your firm is willing to handle this case and what the legal fees would be. You may send your correspondence to ...... or contact us by fax (....) or telephone (....).

Very truly yours,

Fabio J. Guzm?n

A few days later I got a call from Dr. XXXX requesting a retainer to begin his investigation at $200 to $250 an hour. I relayed the information to my cousins and never heard from them again. Case closed.

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Thank You !!!!!!!!!!!!!

A Billion dollars, wow.

I Thank You, for enlightening me.

Tim H.:cool:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
My husband, whose surname is Guzman and whose family come from Juan Lopez, Moca, did some research on this in the 90s. It is the stuff of movie screenplays.

The chap in question, Jose Eugenio Guzman, made his fortune by selling mahogany logs to the Union Pacific Railway for their sleepers, the story goes. Was persuaded to deposit his millions - in gold ingots - in a Swiss bank, but died intestate and his decendants - apparently he had no children himself, just dozens of nieces and nephews through his many brothers and sisters: but none of these had the knowledge or ability to access the money, which has grown and grown in value over the years. My husband says that the families even have a number for the bank account.

Could all be a big fat myth, but relatives allege cover ups including demolition of cemeteries in Moca and loss of parish records. Even Trujillo is involved: he was said to have tried to get at the money, without success, although some believe that he and some of his cronies did, on the quiet.

The truth is that many lawyers have tried to crack this mystery with no success whatsoever. Although I tend to be skeptical about the veracity of the claims, the Swiss banks' track record in releasing dormant accounts is not whiter than white, which leads me to suspect that it could just be possible.

Those claiming to be descended from Jose Eugenio now run into hundreds of families... and the issue is stirred up every few years and then fizzles out again.

A question for Fabio - could one of these Swiss lawyers be persuaded to take on the case on a no-win no-fee basis? If there is so much money there there surely the promise of a fat percentage should be enough to motivate them?

If it ever comes to anything, of course, the drinks are on us.

Chiri ;)

jgrecke

Dec 31, 2003
Re: "guzman inheritance"

muzik2407 said:
Well, in my family, they swear they are the "only" decendants. And you are correct, the banks & lawyers have requested certain documents. Again, my family swears they have "it". Also, years ago the only rightful heirs are those with the guzman name and with a mystery surname. Again, my family swears they are the heirs to both last names. But yesteday as I understand it, there was a spanish tv report. It was reported that all guzmans will have an equal share and that the trustees have 60 days make a formal announcement. So yes, its an interesting story that hopefully my generation will finally get some closure. Thanks for replying
Hi, my name is Jaritza Guiomar Martinez Grecke..My grandmother who is the last living niece of Jose Eugenio Guzman, is now 93 yrs old; she was born in September 15, 1910. She was the last to be born of 14 children. Her mother's name was Cinencia Guzman; her mother was the sister of Jose Eugenio Guzman. My grandmother knew Jose Eugenio Guzman; who was her uncle. He would always write letters to her; since she didn't know how to read. Her uncle Jose E Guzman would send the letters to his brother Anastafio Guzman so he would read the letters to my grandmother Porfiria Guzman. All her family were from La Romana de San Pedro de Macoris. My grandmother could tell you almost everything you would want to know about her Uncle Jose Eugenio Guzman and the rest of the family.. This is my grandmother's telephone number in the Dominican Republic 1 (809) 599-4616

Last edited:

Leslie

Jan 13, 2004
guzman inheritance

Hello to All,

I was wandering if any one can inform me regarding the Jose Guzman inheritance, being also that my family decents from him as well. I, was vacationing in Miami when it aired the international formal announcement. So, I missed out on any important information they were requesting to the decendents.

My, family recalls when their grandparents dating back some 60 yrs, to claim the money then. We, are both from the cibao region and have some what of a direct line to el baron de la atalya. If anyone can please respond with futher information. Thanks!

Leslie

Leslie

Jan 13, 2004
guzman inheritance

Please, if anyone can inform me a.s.a.p., i really think that, this time they will put an end to this case soon, either the people get to the bottom of this or the swiss and spanish goverments will get wealthier.

There is a time frame and I'm sure the expiration date will be coming soon. I have family members working on this both in D.R. and in Europe, but I think if the decendents get united it would be great to solve this puzzle. I'm already in Madrid, Spain living here since this past August, so if I, can do anything to help our families to closing this deal let me know please. Thank you, once again.

Leslie

taraja

Mar 25, 2004
Trina de Moya

Estoy buscando personas que sean descendientes de familiares de Trina de Moya, y esten interesados en darle seguimiento al reclamo de esta herencia.

Leslie

Jan 13, 2004
Por lo que yo tengo entedido Trina de Moya o Horacio Vasquez no son familias legitima del el baron de la atalya...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
One of yesterday's papers said that

Pathologists had disinterred both Horacio and Trina to take samples for DNA testing. Nothing further was mentioned except that it was tied into the Baron de Atalaya case.

HB

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
We'd die of thirst

Chirimoya said:
My husband, whose surname is Guzman and whose family come from Juan Lopez, Moca, did some research on this in the 90s. It is the stuff of movie screenplays.

The chap in question, Jose Eugenio Guzman, made his fortune by selling mahogany logs to the Union Pacific Railway for their sleepers, the story goes. Was persuaded to deposit his millions - in gold ingots - in a Swiss bank, but died intestate and his decendants - apparently he had no children himself, just dozens of nieces and nephews through his many brothers and sisters: but none of these had the knowledge or ability to access the money, which has grown and grown in value over the years. My husband says that the families even have a number for the bank account.

Could all be a big fat myth, but relatives allege cover ups including demolition of cemeteries in Moca and loss of parish records. Even Trujillo is involved: he was said to have tried to get at the money, without success, although some believe that he and some of his cronies did, on the quiet.

The truth is that many lawyers have tried to crack this mystery with no success whatsoever. Although I tend to be skeptical about the veracity of the claims, the Swiss banks' track record in releasing dormant accounts is not whiter than white, which leads me to suspect that it could just be possible.

Those claiming to be descended from Jose Eugenio now run into hundreds of families... and the issue is stirred up every few years and then fizzles out again.

A question for Fabio - could one of these Swiss lawyers be persuaded to take on the case on a no-win no-fee basis? If there is so much money there there surely the promise of a fat percentage should be enough to motivate them?

If it ever comes to anything, of course, the drinks are on us.

Chiri ;)

In the sixties, the streets of Zurich were filled with Dominicans visiting their money. I'm sure whatever was there is long gone. Remember that every wealthy Dominican had at least one trusted advisor (I'll refrain from saying lawyer out of respect for Fabio) who grabbed anything they could after his or her death.

Angelica Guzman

Jun 21, 2004
can someone help me...

its regarding the Guzman inheritance....My father in law name is E.Guzman Guzman Guzman...he once mentioned he recieved a letter regarding the guzman inheritance but he did not reply to it..he misplaced it and never really did give it importance...We're from the state Jalisco In Mexico...Can someone tell me more about this inheritance...? it just crossed my father in laws mind this past weekend..he's older i just want to know more so I could share information with him....! thankyou :bunny: :bunny: :bunny:

Angelica Guzman

ClippedWing

Jan 12, 2002
This has to be one of the most interesting threads. Feels like I'm watching a movie. Now all I need is closure.

JonX

Jul 1, 2004
There are thousands of Guzmans in the DR.
Are they planning on dividing the money to all of them? Not all of them are the heirs of the real Guzman

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
JonX said:
There are thousands of Guzmans in the DR.
Are they planning on dividing the money to all of them? Not all of them are the heirs of the real Guzman

By the time you finish dividing this money equally to all the Guzman
they probably won?t have enough to buy a mabi and a yonikeke especially now since they are popping out of Mexico as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.