Current situation for tourists

David

Nov 17, 2003
I'm visiting the DR on holiday with my wife and 9-year old boy at the end of the month and looking forward to it immensely (even though staying in AI - Bahia Principe - I think we'll get out a meet some real people). She is Portuguese and we all speak Spanish so we're not worried about communciating. Slightly concerned about the situation - both the power crisis and killings during the strike you had last week, although the news has hardly penetrated Europe, what with all the other horrors in the world. Any advice, suggestions would be appreciated. Obviously the north coast is not Santo Domingo but we'd like to err on the safe side for obvious reasons!
Congratulations on an excellent site by the way. Most interesting!

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
No Problem.

Don't panic - we're still all here living in paradise and still safe!
You won't even notice that there's been a problem - just come and enjoy.
You might not need a brolly by then?
Power outages are normal here so most of us are prepared for them, it's just that this last week or so they've been a bitch!!!
Peter
In sunny(?) Cabarete

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
Sosua

I spend over 20% of my time in Sosua and am on the phone there every day. Its business as usual other than the fact that you might want to make sure that whereever you stay, there's a generator.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
David, the killings you refer to during strikes occur primarily in neighborhoods of the poor, areas where neither tourists or expat residents are likely to spend time. The reasons for the strike have nothing to do with tourists and there is no animosity toward them. As far as the blackouts are cocerned, as others have mentioned the hotels, restaurants, etc., frequented by tourists have generators that keep the lights lit when the government-suplied power doesn't.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
You will not have a problem

Bahia Principe is one of the newer Hotels situated on the north cost just before Rio San Jaun.

They have a very good back up power system (Generator) So you won't even notice when the lights go out.....

The only problem that I'm aware of in Rio San Juan area is they have a limited freshwater supply, so guests are sometimes asked to conserve water.

Enjoy

Gringo

Last edited:

David

Nov 17, 2003
Many thanks for all your reassuring comments...

You feel a bit arrogant coming to a tourist enclave in a country where people are having a tough time; never done such a thing before in fact. Not that I'm a particularly adventurous traveller - I like my creature comforts too much - but I hate the idea of visiting a place and living in a bubble, however idyllic.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
You don't HAVE to live in the bubble. Get out as you suggest, get into Rio San Juan, meet the locals, have some drinks & chat & you will have a blast of a holiday!!! Just keep smiling & you will fit right in with the locals!!!

BRING some dry weather with you though please. As Peter suggests in his post, it has been wet here for nearly two weeks now & we could do with some sun to dry things out - especially the golf course!!! - Grahame.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Re: Many thanks for all your reassuring comments...

David said:
You feel a bit arrogant coming to a tourist enclave in a country where people are having a tough time; never done such a thing before in fact. Not that I'm a particularly adventurous traveller - I like my creature comforts too much - but I hate the idea of visiting a place and living in a bubble, however idyllic.
If you feel a bit arrogant you may never take a caribbean vacation. Most places in the Caribbean are like that except for maybe Aruba. Hell you are doing more to alleviate their tough time than the next person by spending your money!

Feel good about yourself. Bring a extra suitcase of school supplies to make yourself feel better or maybe some childrens summer clothing.

CMS

Jan 28, 2003
Rio San Juan

There is an excellent seafood restaurant in Rio San Juan. Head down the main street and look for an open air place with a thatch type roof on your right. Order the Dorado with Tostones or fries. Have a couple of cold Presidentes and ask the owner for a cigar. The owner is a real nice guy. While in town walk over to Gri Gri lagoon and tour the mangroves. Finish up your visit with a drink at the quaint Bahia Blanca hotel (also walking distance) Rio San Juan is a great town!! Also, Playa Grande should not be missed during your visit, for golfing and swimming.

David

Nov 17, 2003
Thanks for the further comments/suggestions

Most appreciated. Nice idea to make a contribution to local life as well as enjoy it - what sort of school supplies does Escott have in mind? (travelling light!)