Prices of Presidente

Little_Monkey

Sep 2, 2002
In the DR news today (see below) they mentioned that the makers of the Presidente beer will be raising the costs ....
Anyone notice any price difference lately? What are you currently paying for a small Presidente at Eddy's or any local bar?

Thanks..
...little_monkey

"Let there be beer
El Caribe reports that the makers of the most popular beers in the Dominican Republic, Presidente, Quisqueya and Bohemia, have been forced to raise prices by 13%, due to increased costs. This hike is the latest in a total of 23% in price increases this year. In a press statement read by the Dominican Association of Beer Manufacturers (ADOFACE) spokesperson, Ana Isabel Acosta, the breweries said that they had been trying to keep the prices stable. A case of large-bottle Presidente will go from RD$620 to RD$704 and the smaller sized bottles will go from RD$300 a box to RD$487, according to the paper. Owners of small shop owners ("colmados") have been reporting a sharp drop in sales."

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Presidente prices

Prices are going up to $35 to $40 for La Grande, depending on the place. Much more in bars and discos.

The small Millers have gone up to the same price of La Grande.

TW

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
I'm switching over!

28 for a pequena
40 for a grande.

And it's darn near impossible to find a very cold one. My golf course/grass bar has stopped carrying them all together. But then again, they've stopped carrying golf balls too, so go figure.

Sad sad day.

No less than 60 in any bar.

It's become prohibitive, heroin is cheaper.

kingofdice

Jan 16, 2002
Cleef, what are you switching over to? Millers or Presidentes? And what were you referring to as 60 at your bar - golf balls or beer. I can't read between the lines. Please adlib further sir. One last question, without re-directing the thread - is Miller beer popular in Santo Domingo?

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
I'm going to Heroin

Miller is more popular than Budweiser, probably second to Presidente. There is another brand - I think by Presidente - but I can't remember it's name. Quite good though.

60 for beers. Golf balls are 2 pesos each, roughly.

The ground is so saturated though that you can lose a ball on the green. I literally buried one the other day on a low lying green.

I've never seen that before, talk about bad bounces.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Yea...Presidente is between 38 and 40 pesos here in ZC. And then trying to find a cold one when the power is out. Gotta remember which places have a planta and then hope they have it turned on.
Gotta start drinking more ron now. Figure 1 beer then switch to ron. And just hope theres an icecube to make it cold.
The only way to live in this country is to be able to adapt. So I'm learning.

Barry

Jun 28, 2003
In Sosua the price for a small President in a bar went from 35 Peso's to 50 Pesos at the Disco. 40 or 45 was the norm.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Most bar have raised it to 50/60. I think 60 is a little steep (For what you get at some bars) Eddy's will be selling them for 50 as of today. The old inventory has been sold. New beer: New price. But still a great deal when you consider what we pay elswhere.

Little_Monkey

Sep 2, 2002
Thanks

Thanks for all your responses.... This gives me an idea on what I will be paying when I arrive on Jan 2nd.....

Cheers to all !;)
Little_Monkey

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Really, if you're a tourist, you shouldn't be thinking about it. The value of the peso has declined so rapidly and tragically that it'll still be very cheap when using the dollar!

My friend Michelle went to a little town outside of Puerto Plata (M?mon?) that has a lot of great restaurants that specialize in fish. They were a party of 4, and each had a heaping plate of fish, shared another plate amongst them, and had 5 Grande Presidentes. So that's 5 plates and 5 Grades for 720 pesos. When you calculate the exchange to the US dollar, that's about $20 including a nice tip!

mikeyone

Apr 16, 2003
wish I was a Tourista

I gripe about the increase in Cervesa, but at 27 to the Canadian Dollar its still a good price....Enjoy and bring your dollars down..Had Lobster for two with ample Cervesas and others. in B. Chica the other day..800 pesos........30.Canadian.... Enjoy yourself.Cheers.

mikeyone

Apr 16, 2003
lobster in B.Chica

Little. M........Langosta at Little Italy Rest. on Main street near to Hamaca Hotel... there are a couple more O.K. rest....all depends if you are coming all inclusive...if not can probably fill you in on some breakfast places too....Cheers...

Little_Monkey

Sep 2, 2002
Breakfast?

I have been to Little Italy many times....and they have great food, but I have never had the lobster. I travel to Boca Chica every year so I know of several great eating places.... What breakfast places do you recommend? I never do all inclusive that way I have soooo many choices ;)
Thanks for your help.
LM

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
I just got back to NY from a brief 6 day trip. The beer was cold nearly everywhere I went and I didn't have a single one that had "turned" or had an aftertaste.

Went to firdays one night. Myself, novia , my buddy and my novia's friend. We ordered 1 order of shrimp, one of buffalo wings, 2 chicken fingers, one cajun chicken sandwich, onion rings, probably 10 beers, a margarita and 2 daquiries, 56 bucks on the mastercard with tip! Not bad at all.