Issuing A Challenge To All Visiting The Dr

Scoobster

Sep 30, 2003
Hello many posters...and friends of the DR!

My two daughters and I are issuing a challenge to all those who will be travelling to the DR this year...or next...or anytime!

As we were checking out web pages...we came across a most interesting web site...

http://www.dominicandream.org

....what a great idea!

My oldest daughter, who is 11, asked how she could help, if she would be able to bring some pencils, and notebooks with her when we travel there this coming January.

I said that it sounds like a great idea, at which point she asked if she could tell her teacher at school, and maybe see if her classmates would like to donate some items too!

Well, as there are eight of us travelling, I am sure that we could spare one suitcase for school supplies, considering the Dream team will arrange to pick them up at your resort...so lets do it!

We challenge everyone travelling to do the same.

My daughters are taking letters to school, asking for donations of school supplies, which we will then in turn bring with us in January, and donate on behalf of the school, and its great students.

Just think of the good...and remember people...for every good thing that you can do, it will come back to you double!

Take on the challenge.......

Cheers

Jimmy
Ontario, Canada

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Great Idea & thanks for thinking of the DR. There have been several posts over the years on what to bring down to help the locals & this ranks alongside the best of them.

If anyone visiting the Puerto Plata area & has difficulty in raising "The Dream Team" or getting them to collect the items, just let me know & I will make arrangements for disbursements at schools I know of. Heck, .... you can even come with me & see the stuff delivered!! - Grahame.

Scoobster

Sep 30, 2003
Donations

Thank you Grahame.......

I hope that a lot more posters will read this, and act on it too.

Its amazing, you know if we all had the heart of a child again, just imagine what would be accomplished!

My daughter's are the ones who have the passion, which is infectious.

Thanks once again, and thank-you laso for the offer of help!

Cheers
Jimmy

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
For anyone coming to Sosua, be aware that several local expats have formed a committee to provide help to the public elementary school. Virtually no enrichment in the school program. Books for the library, games to enrich the math program, and anything else that could help make learning more interesting for the children are sought.

Anyone coming to the Sosua area who would like to contribute to this school enrichment effort can contact me by email or PM.

GlowWorm

Nov 18, 2003
Ken,

Will be coming to Sosua in January, what are the specific items needed?

Can I meet you at the new gym and give to you?

Scoobster

Sep 30, 2003
challenge accepted

Great news....and hopoefully some inspiration here.......

My daughters grade 4 class has accepted the challenge!!!!!

Cheers
Jimmy

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
GlowWorm, I'll be in touch with you soon. The committee is having a meeting soon and I'll contact you again by PM or email afterwards.

Boh

Jan 3, 2002
Great idea scoobster! Ken, we will be arriving January 20 with some supplies. A list of badly needed items would be very helpful. Thanks for your help.

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
Ken - what about electronics? we have extra calculators (used in son's high school). we have backpacks, clipboards, etc., left over.

(Can't bring anything big. Right now, our suitcases are packed with 2 ceiling fans, 1 lamp, sheets of plexiglass, mirrors, drapes, comforter).

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
Hey Ken

I didn't know you were involved in something like this. Why don't you post the items needed on this thread after the meeting. Mary and I will be down ther the day after Christmas. We'll save some room for needed supplies.

hollywood north

Dec 11, 2002
www.cybersecretary.ca
I love these ideas and would really like to see a separate forum set up so that we can be kept apprised of what is needed and where.

Also we could utilize this as an info exchange ie I cannot make it to my beloved DR this year however I CAN source paper on a continuing basis, which I know is a very expensive and next to impossible to find down thnere- if I know someone from Toronto is leaving and willing to take supplies I will make sure they get them.

I think this is one way we could make a small but significant contribution. Also there may be links to NFP's that could be resouorces.....

HN

Rosanie

Sep 20, 2002
Because of my affliation with the Deaf community, I donate items to the Puerto Plata school for the Deaf. The deaf centre I am associated with here in Canada has been donating items and currently they have organized a raffle to raise money to buy a DVD player for the school. The school also has a lot of support through help from the Rotary Club.

To see pictures: http://www.worldisround.com/articles/14723/index.html

Some of the items we have donated:

American Sign Language (ASL) Videos about Deaf culture, history and language
Books of all types including a visual dictionary in Spanish
Pens, Pencils and Paper
Canada pins and flags and booklet of map of Canada and games (donated by my local MP office)

Knowing the needs of the particular school you wish to support is an asset. You can then collect items that they(staff and children) will use and appreciate.

The location of the school in Puerto Plata is:
Escuela Sordo-Mudas
Urbanizaci?n los cueto

Hollywood North:
I love these ideas and would really like to see a separate forum set up so that we can be kept apprised of what is needed and where.

I also think having a forum for this topic would be a great idea! Worth looking into as it would be useful to have as a resource so that donations can get to these schools and organizations that otherwise would not receive this potential support from tourists that want to donate items. I think most of the time people just don't know who to contact or what to do. DR1 could become a valuable link in the process.

Rosanie

mikeyone

Apr 16, 2003
Great Stuff

Hey everyone out there....Great Idea , when you have almost everything which you take for granted.... and others dont have...Giving is the name of the game... at least you can give something back....We did something similar in Cuba a few years back. and the good feeling still stays to this day......every little helps nice to get the kids involved.......Cheers and Good Luck.

Scoobster

Sep 30, 2003
challenge

Good stuff people!

Both of my daughters classes have accepted the challenge of bringing in some donations, and the school has backed it 100%.

We have received some advice from other posters with regards to the best way to bring it in.

Any advice here?

Paying an extra fee for weight is not a concern.

Cheers
Jimmy

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Something I tried a few years ago when "She that must be Obeyed" was returning from England with Excess weight baggage, was to get the local consulate to write to the airline concerned & request "CONSIDERATION" for the good cause this was going to be used for!! She got to the airport & was waved through as though she was the Queen!!! "Excess Baggage Ma'am? What excess baggage???" - Grahame.

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I wonder if the organizations, like Sosua Kids and Project Damalbi could add pages to their web sites that list the things they usually need so people could get ideas.
I once saw a non-profit organization's 'wish list' and thought it was a great idea.
Anybody got time to put a list together of non-profits supporting the DR?
Just some thoughts.
Good luck with the collections.
mk

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Sorry I can't remeber the post it went under, but such a list WAS produced some 8 or 9 months ago!! Can you help moderator??

Try entering the key words "Goodies for Dominicanos" or "Help list". "Goody Bags" was another one I seem to remember. - Grahame.

Miko

May 23, 2003
items required

Here is the list rom the Dream Project.

- Spanish and Spanish-English dictionaries
- children?s books in Spanish
- chalk
- blackboard erasers
- pencils
- pens
- pencil sharpeners
- erasers
- loose leaf paper
- blank Xerox paper
- notebooks
- crayons
- scissors (kid-size and teacher)
- glue
- staplers
- paper clips
- index cards
- flash cards
- calculators
- globes
- puzzles (pre-school level)
- legos
- blocks
- play-dough
- construction paper
- brooms
- dust pans
- waste baskets
- any office supplies
- any art supplies
- any cleaning supplies
- any sports equipment

I am planning in getting in touch with Tricia who manages the Dream Project. Looking for the items most required for Cabarete (my other home town). We also give a cash donation every year from the Nanny Estate Home Owners Association and Rental Pool Association for this cause.