Beer

N.O. Randy

Nov 9, 2003
Just wondering about the beer selection in DR. It seems pretty clear that Presidente is the most popular and well-respected brew. But what else is available? After Presidente, is the dropoff in quality that pronounced? It also sounds like Presidente is more of a pilsner/lager type beer. Are there any darker beers or ales available?

I'm wondering if the situation in DR is like what I found in Jamaica, where everyone was always talking about Red Stripe as if it were the only beer in the country. I spent the entire trip drinking the Dragon Stout.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
I am not a beer drinker. So the following is second-hand information!

;)

A friend who came down here with me when I moved to the DR 3 years ago liked Heinnekin. Then discovered Presidente. He thought that they tasted about the same but Presidente had a lot more kick! Interestingly enough, the brewer of Presidente here, also is the same company that brews and bottles Heinnekin in the D.R.

Probably #2 on the popularity list with locals is Quisqueya, which I believe is a darker beer?

You beer drinkers out there (you know who you are!) feel free to correct me on this!

Tom (aka XR)

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Miller, Budweiser, Heineken can be found almost anywhere.

In resorts you'll likely have a greater selection, and perhaps some darker beers.

Quisqueya or Bohemia is the other brand I was trying to think of in another thread on beer.

I like dark beers too, and these two are a nice break from Presidente, I believe Presdidente makes it too, and it's also cheaper.

I feel that anything you drink here will not taste like it does where you normally have it. If its manufactured here, there are factors that lead to a different taste; water, humidity, sunshine, corruption, etc.

Perhaps it's just the environment your in while drinking it, but everything DEFINITELY tastes different.

I swear the Diet Coke that is sold here is the leftover stores of TAB from the 70's and some clever clod bought it all for pennies and is repackaging it as the diet drink of now.

Last edited:

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Hi N.O. Randy et al,

Greetings from Atlantic Canada.

Presidente is a Pilsner and Quisqueya is a lager. Niether is very dark. I find Presidente to be crisper and more refreshing with little aftertaste while Quisqueya is heavier and has a very subtle yeast aftertaste (IMHO). If they are cold enough, they both do the job. I haven't yet sampled Bohemia but was aware that it was available.

Gregg

DRgirlatheart

Sep 20, 2003
I am normally not a beer drinker,

but I like Quisqueya. Not sure what brand they would have served at the bars at RIU Naiboa, but it was good too.

Maybe the best part of it was that I was down in a nice, warm sunny climate, so anything cold tasted great (as was alluded to earlier).

Regards.

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
There is a third native beer after Presidente and Quisqueya. It is Solana.

Solana is cheap, like Quisqueya. Yes, of course it's a lager. I don't like it myself, nor Quisqueya.

I'm not familiar with "Bohemia" in the DR. The Bohemia I know is made by National and is popular in Mexico. It is (or at least was) their best beer, but doesn't compare to Presidente.

For my taste, the world's best beer is a tie between Pilsner Urquell and Dortmunder. Having said that, though, Presidente is probably the best posssible for the DR. Being slightly lighter than European beers makes it ideally suited for the tropical heat.

BTW, I think that Presidente, combined with the DR habit of supercooling beer, have played a huge part in popularizing the DR as a tourist destination. Beer is especially important to tourists who don't want to drink the water, and the fact that it's so cold is an added attraction in the tropical heat.

Paulino

Jan 4, 2002
Soberana

Is what Andy A refers to as "Solana" actually the brand named Soberana? I like Soberana better than Presidente myself, but must admit that I drink more Prez. than Sob. whenever I visit, mainly because it is more readily available.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
No one has mentioned Ambar - it makes a nice change once in a while. But my favourite will always be Presidente.

Chiri

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
Paulino, you're right.

I had a friend who drank it regularly and offered it to me. I'd decline.

When it comes to food, I try to eat a healthy diet, even though I enjoy it too.

I'm definitely a connoisseur of whatever I drink, though, and want only the best, or close to it. Otherwise, why drink anything at all? The only thing one HAS to drink to survive is water.

Jersey Devil

Bronze
Jul 5, 2002
BEER!

I believe Quisqueya is produced by Bermudez.

During my past few trips I had seen it less
often than in the past.

Cheers!

JD