Traitors...period

-Antonio De La Maza
-Antonio Imbert Barreras
-Amado Garcia Guerrero
-Luis Amiama Tio
-Pedro Livio Cede?o
-Roberto Pastoriza

Obnoxious baseball players

-Jose Lima(just as bad singing and dancing)
-Manny Ramirez
-Pedro Martinez
-Alfonso Soriano(his chewing gum makes me sick)
-Raul Mondesi(he pastes his name all over)

Unfunny Funny Men

-Freddy Beras Goico
-Jochy Santos
-The entire cast of Perdone La Hora
-Luisito Marti
-Corporan de los Santos

Jobs that can make you rich overnight in DR

-Intendente General de Las Fuerzas Armadas
-Consul General in New York
-Consul general in Haiti
-Chief of any drug enforcement agency
-Presidente Liga Municipal Dominicana
-Presidente Indotel
-Colector de Aduanas
-Local chief of police in any town or city
-Director General de Aeroportuaria
-Consultor Juridico Poder Ejecutivo

TW

An Evil

Aug 11, 2003
Simple exercise in logic

1. Notice the absence of Rafael S?nchez, aka Jack Veneno, from any of the previous lists.

2. This surely means Golo is Jack Veneno's biggest fan.

3. Jack Veneno is Jack Veneno's biggest fan.

4. Ergo...

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Whatever happened to Pepe Goico, at least he would fit into the obnoxoius catagory?

Maybe there should be a Darwin award catagory. El Presidente would fit into that for trying to run on his record of good intentions into a second consecutive presidential term when the country is falling into chaos. Wait a second! Should that award go to the people as a whole for electing him? Regards, PJT

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
I got one for you

5 best political hairdos

1-Eduaro's Wolf style- Making Hippo green with envy
2-Leonel's mini fro- Keeping in touch with his roots
3-Fello's infamous comb over-In complete denial
4-Abinader-I love his bad hangover look(equals El Bacho's)
5-Victor Gomez Berges-Defying laws of gravity

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Samian

I loved your categories, specially Victor Gomez Verges.

as for who I would like to see elected in 2004?

Well, I will be forced to vote for Leonel as the only choice to beat Hippo. However, I will regret it. Within six months of a new Leonel government Hippo will begin to look good again.

There is no hope. We will just go from bad to worse and back again.

Leonel is a super jerk. He is the opposite of Hippo. Hippo is an idiot who talks too much. Leonel is a democratic Fidel castro, who just cannot keep his mouth shut for more than a few seconds.

TW

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Yeah, I agree

We have little choices for next year. And they both suck!!!!

Elections here always tend to be polarized. I think Eduardo is an interesting candidate, but this fight is between the hippster and the fro-man. I think 2008, if the reds get their crap together, Eduardo might be the most interesting candidate to take a chance on Leonel. But what do I know, I hate making predictions.

Anyway, heres another...

top 5 things most dominicans want in his lifetime:

5- A US Visa
4-Wants a Jeepeta del a?o
3-Latest Cell phone
2-A querida
1-Want to see New York (In most cases they must fulfill No.5 but not necessaarily)

Cant expect more out of a country that has people like Cesar Medina washing our brains in the morning, Carlos Batista in the afternoon and El Bacho in the evening!!!

Sep 20, 2003
golo, is there anyone that you think could restore credible,honest government to the dominican republic?

even if he is not able to win the election, i would like to know who you think would do a good job.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
No Dominican alive is worth it

Except me. I am the only Dominican that can be trusted with the presidency. Except, I am not interested. I dont want to deal with 8,000,000 chopos asking me for jobs every day. There is no salary or benefit that can make me take over DR. I cannot be drafted!!!

Here are my first 10 actions as president(do you think I can last?)

-Reduce the armed forces by 50%(50% are doing private jobs anyway) Eliminate Policia Nacional and create a military police with the rest of the armed forces. eliminate the Navy, Air Force and merge it with the new police force. Keep AMET for traffic control only.

-Close down INESPRE, Secretaria de la Mujer, Secretaria de la Juventud, Secretaria de Deportes, Superintendencia de Bancos, Superintendencia de Seguros, Inposdom, CEA, CDE, Liga Municipal Dominicana and hundreds of other unnecessary agencies.

-Sell all government land in the open market, including foreign auctions.
-Sell all property rights and management for all INVI and SAVICA housing to private enterprises.
-Close down Secretaria de Estado de Cultura and transfer all assets like Palacio de Bellas Artes, to private foundations. The government will be taken out of the business of arts. Privatize the national symphony orchestra, all museums, etc.
-Privatize the entire Dominican highway system.
-Eliminate all export taxes, inheritance tax, income tax for people earing less than $500,000 a year, licenses(drivers,gun, etc) and 90% of all civil regulations used for the purpose of raising fees.
-Sell all baseball stadiums and force the baseball league to pay its own way or close down. Try to negotiate a major league franchise offering hefty incentives to MLB, including no taxes. No more mickey mouse baseball. Lets bring the real stuff.
-Create an offshore safe haven banking system to compete with Panama, Cayman Islands, etc.
-privatize the entire education system selling all school properties to private enterprise and increase education budget to 10% of the budget to offer scholarships to public school students. Privatize UASD.

TW

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Golo's platform + #11 on one of his most hated lists

Quick and dirty summary of the Golo presidency platform: warmed over 1980's era Reaganomics.

It wouldn't likely be effective in today's global economy but maybe I am missing a point about Dominican isolationism within the imaginary policy?

Meanwhile, should 11th place on one of El Golo's "most hated" lists be reserved for the androgynous symbol of Dominican feminine beauty Ohmayra Mota??

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Wow!

I am impressed. Who'd have known that behind those posts lurked the heart of a true Libertarian. You go Golo.

Arturo, no offense, but it's sad for me to see that people still just don't get it. Government does not create jobs or wealth, it simply inhibits. Reaganomics was timid in comparison with Kennedyomics. And what Kennedy was nothing compared to the way the free economy in the U.S. existed and behaved before income taxes 50 years prior. The surest way to create wealth whether it's 1913, 1983, or 2003, is to let people keep what they create so they have incentive to create more. It's human nature. Everyone wants food, and comfort, and material things for themselves and their families.

The only thing that's needed, even for here in the D.R., is for the government and all the lambones and ladrones to get the hell out of the people's way. Then watch the fireworks!

Tom (aka XR)

Oh well, I can dream, can't I?

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
no offense taken Xana, quick question

You mentioned three dates in your note. How do these three dates and the economic events surrounding them fit into your thesis: 1933, 1986, and 2002 (Q3)?

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
You're making me think too hard this morning! Please explain, because I am not sure that I will see significance in the same events that you do.

Is your point that there are times when governments intervene after certain market or economic disasters to the betterment of all? That's true. But I believe that in mosts cases the original problme that requires correction can be traced directly back to acts or regulation of economic activity by those governments in the first place.

There is very little that government can do that private initiative can not. Hence there is little justification for taking some money from everyone and spending on something that indivduals could not. Postal services? Look at UPS, FedEx. Highways? We have governments in the US selling right-of-way in the middle of public freeways for private toll-ways in Washington, California and other areas. Space? There are several dozen companies testing private suborbital ships right now with no funding from government what-so-ever.

The problem boils down to this, IMHO. We must never seprate the hard work of earning the money from the person who spends it. I am consider carefully how I spend my money because I worked hard to earn it. When a government collects money, it was someone else's hard work who generated it. And that reluctance to spend it, disappears! Apply that same thought to 'free' medical care or any other free service and you see how I think. I don't want 'free' medical care for example because if I don't get the service that I want, if the doctor I go to is a quack, I can't vote with my money and hire another doctor. Someone else will pay him no matter what. It breeds mediocrity and incompetence.

Never seperate the earner from the spender!

(But that's the definition of government, isn't it?)

Tom (aka XR)

GO GOLO! EL PRESIDENTE EN '04!

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
do you support....

...inheritance taxes?

If not, does that mean you consider inheriting something to be hard work?

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Of course not. I don't support any taxes. That's not a contradiction.

First, I disagree with the pretext of the question that an individual who inherits something might squander it just because his father or mother may have worked hard for it. Second, if I work hard all my life and want to leave my house to my children why should some third party jump in with their hand out to take part of it? It's a gift from me to someone else, and what they do with it is up to them.

But most importantly there is one major difference here. If someone who inherits money wants to squander it away that is his decision and affects only himself. It is after all his money. When a government squanders money it is squandering money that it has taken from everyone, and that it has taken involuntarily.

I may choose to give my money to someone as an inheritance. I do not choose to give it to the Bald Hippo.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
this is my belief

Any money spent by an individual, freely and for any selfish or unselfish purpose is better spent than any money spent by the government. Money spent by individuals without regulations and restrictions causes more beneficial effects on any economy, than money spent by governments.

The only reason i see for government is in the application of laws, law enforcement and military protection when needed. For instance, I believe DR does not need a formal army. We just need a police force with sophisticated equipment for interdiction of high crime.

As for inheritance money, I always find that money inherited finds a quicker way into the economy than money being saved for an heir. so give heirs their money freely so they can spend it....and quickly!!

TW

Sep 20, 2003
golo, i think you would make a great president of the dominican republic.

however, i disagree with your view on the current miss universe, amelia vega. she is by far the most beautiful miss universe ever crowned. the first time she was introduced on television i knew she would win.

i don't know how is behaves in private, but in public she behaves very well. i think she is an asset for the DR. many hollywood stars behave badly in private and in public. those people think nothing of how their public tantrums and bad behaviour will influence their young fans.

at least miss vega still takes her role as miss universe seriously.

if her current boyfriend is bragging to friends about sleeping with her, then he is nothing but a cad.

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
By far the number one action that can be taken to "fix" the problems in the DR is exactly what you guys are suggesting: elimintae as much of the government as possible. Especially in the DR, where the politicians are so abjectly stupid and ignorant. I have suggested many times before: start your DR revolution by refusing to pay taxes to Hippo.

But that is not enough, because, as we have seen both in the DR (Banniter,Bancredito,etc) and the USA (ENRON,Tyco,GLobal Crossing, Putnam Invest, Anderssen, etal) it is not just government that is corrupted.

A new skeleton government has to have the power to enforce fair competition and free markets. No monopolies. No collusion. All government finances made public. Balanced budget amendment to the constitution.