What if everyone quit? Think about it.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Someone I spoke to today said they've cancelled all electrical service. They were paying a huge bill they thought to be completely unjustified, this after paying for a lifetime.

I'm assuming they are going to run a planta for parts of the day, charge their revamped inversor, and conserve like heck. Get most household duties and whatnot done during the running hours. At the very least, you get what you pay for, and you know when it will be there. This sounds like a crazy idea, but maybe it's not.

Got me thinking along the lines of ...what if the power companies lost all their subscribers? They'd at least quickly find out who pays for sure. If you don't pay, I doubt you'll be canceling.

I know it sounds completely off the wall, so I'm proposing the idea here where you can ridicule it all you want and I won't really give a crap.

Then again this would require the people to take action, in a place where inaction is the way.

Yeah, completely off the wall, nevermind. ;)

skippys

Jan 17, 2003
got my vote

why are we paying this fixed price bill for service not receiving.....
were "promised" 18 hrs. min. service per day when assigned my fixed payment - NEVER F______ HAPPENED.
President is back and we are black - as in blackoutsville......4.5 hours in the last 30 hours....
I'm going to solar ASAP

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I have always proposed

A Nation boycott on payment.

Say two months of not paying. They cannot last for two months!

Of course the Government is so stupid that they would just keep on going and not respond.

Then the next thing is for everyone to advise their deputies and Senator and tell them that next election they are not going to get your vote...

If I will the Florida Lottery, I will make my house absolutely independent of the CDEEE...Bet your A$$!!

HB

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Didn't one of the TV personalities (was it Corporan or one of the others?) do just that? Disconnected himself from the CDE, to run a planta 12 hours and an inverter the rest of the time, and still got billed?

Chiri

skippys

Jan 17, 2003
no pago mi factura.....

no servicio
no pago
stil in blackoutsville in La Ure?a.......
and that's that.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
It won't probably work. If everybody quits (most dominicans never really started to receive electricity, at least not officially) then the Government will impose some unjustifiable tax on those people that do own a planta or inversor. Think about it, black out occur because too many people are stealing. Those that are not stealing don't want to pay for more than their share. The powerplants are producing for much more than those that are charged claim and everybody is still disgruntled. The ones that steal are disgruntled because they can't steal electricity 24/7. Those that actually pay are disgruntled because they pay for 24/7 but only get 3/7, and that's on a good week. So, if those that actually pay quit, that means that those that steal won't be stealing anything and will be in the dark, and the elect. company will go belly up. The taxes will come in once the robbers decided to protest like hell until the gov. gets an initiative to force those with money to buy electricity so that the pobres can keep stealing, and be happy. thus the politicians can sleep comfy in their mansions and penthouses knowing that the masses are not planning some type of plot to kill them or something. Face it people, the brownouts are here to stay. It's part of the culture.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
This shows how far my standards have slipped in a few months or a year. I used to be able to get by with my inverter. No more! I consider anything over 12 hours of electricity to be a good day. Not much longer. We will have our own independent planta or plantas in operation before the 1st and I will have all the air, and electrical appliances I could ever hope for.

Bye bye EdeNada! Or, EdeNunca, or whatever your new name is now .... Hahahahaha.

XANADU RANCH POWER REPORT - POWER IS ON SINCE 19:00 TODAY

HISTORY
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 1011121314151617181920212223

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ THU 13 NOV 2003: 00.00 HRS
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ FRI 14 NOV 2003: 08.50 HRS
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ SAT 15 NOV 2003: 16.50 HRS
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ SUN 16 NOV 2003: 19.50 HRS
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ MON 17 NOV 2003: 20.50 HRS

YESTERDAY

▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ TUE 18 NOV 2003: 17.50 HRS

TODAY

▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░ WED 19 NOV 2003: 17.00 HRS

This DR1 post was created using XR's DR1 Power Report Generator. Click here to download!

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
naypagalu

Originally posted by Nal0whs It won't probably work. If everybody quits (most dominicans never really started to receive electricity, at least not officially) then the Government will impose some unjustifiable tax on those people that do own a planta or inversor. Think about it, black out occur because too many people are stealing.
I have thought about it and I disagree, or maybe I agree, I don't even know. If people refuse to pay the tax, then what? If everyone says no - kind of like voting - then the government will have to do something desperate, as in put in an effective and fair system.

Basically, as I pointed out, people would be required to take action, something they are desperately unskilled in doing. It's the same mentality of why so many Dominicans crowd around a happening - accident, fight, someone drowning. They won't do anything, they will just sit back and watch. It's just the way people are. So when someone actually takes an action - spreads their body parts across the pavement, takes out their gun to settle a fender bender, or like those poor souls drowning off the Malecon a few months ago - people really take notice. Wow! Something is happening, let me watch!
Those that are not stealing don't want to pay for more than their share. The powerplants are producing for much more than those that are charged claim and everybody is still disgruntled. The ones that steal are disgruntled because they can't steal electricity 24/7. Those that actually pay are disgruntled because they pay for 24/7 but only get 3/7, and that's on a good week.
Gotcha!
So, if those that actually pay quit, that means that those that steal won't be stealing anything and will be in the dark, and the elect. company will go belly up.
Now you're with me. Once we get to this point, the producers/gamblers will be forced to create a fair and equitable system (oh man, this should be in the clown bin now!!) where people pay for what they use, not pay for "capital investment" - I love that line from yesterdays news.

Does that mean I own it after my coupon book is complete? Like my car that broke down? Do these people really say these things or does Steven Kline write for DR1 news?
The taxes will come in once the robbers decided to protest like hell until the gov. gets an initiative to force those with money to buy electricity so that the pobres can keep stealing, and be happy. thus the politicians can sleep comfy in their mansions and penthouses knowing that the masses are not planning some type of plot to kill them or something. Face it people, the brownouts are here to stay. It's part of the culture.
I'm assuming if people are willing to thumb their nose to the electrical conglomerates, they will be just as willing to go tell the tax man to go piss up a palm.

I agree that none of this will happen, but the point being, wouldn't it be wiser to produce your own power? At least you can depend on it, and your "capital investment" in a planta/inversor will truly be just that.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Good points. By the way, if you feel like blaming anyone for this electricity stealing mess. There is only one long term person that is responsible. TRUJILLO. Apparently, he gave every basic necessity from housing, water, electricity, etc. free of charge to his supporters, which in those times was everybody because those that didn't supported him were already 10 feet in the ground, literally. Who knows, this legacy of the Trujillo clan has been hampering the economy from day one after the civil war in 1965. Trujillo, when will his ghost realize that he is finish, done, no more!!!! Aaah, who am I kidding. It's the governments falt. Both current and from the past, those chopos in the palacio nacional are the ones responsible. Hmm, the Palacio Nacional was built by Trujillo too. Interesting to think that trujillo's ghost is still disgruntled because his palace is being used for "democratic" purposes. What an interesting idea, if only ghost were real!!!