Playa del Valle in Samana/ Barahona

Elenavieques

Nov 14, 2003
www.elenas-vieques.com
Having researched as much as I can about where to start looking for a place to live in the DR I have come up with these 3 options...and would love your comments on what life would be like in them .. also - I realize they are very different - which should I start with?

1. Playa del Valle simply looks like heaven, though difficult transportation wise.

2. Bayahibe - but only because I am told there is bioluminescence in the ocean there but cannot seem to find out anymore about it.

3. Barahona - seems beautiful and gives access to spend time on the Perdenales coast.

4. Somewhere in the mountains - there seems to be very little info about 'expats' or artists living in any particula place in the mountains... are there places ?? (other than Constanza). ?? The trick might be the highest mountain that has reasonable access to come down and go to a nice beach.. such a place?

I love 'soft adventure' like to be outdoors but not up to hiking up mountains, nor biking up hill .

Any comments about where to look for a place to live in the DR would be welcome ( NOT a city person). I am in my late 50's, but not quite dead yet, I kayak and snorkel alot.

( have lived all over India and Puerto Rico, am not scared of '3rd world stuff')

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Elena, you can find more information about Playa del Vallee at www.samanaonline.com in the Attractions section. Other pristine parts of the peninsula and it's beaches are also covered in that section. Also, for answers to other questions you may have about Samana, please PM me.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Keep in mind that Barhona area is a favorite target of the hurricanes that remain in the Caribbean. That is where many that strike the DR come ashore.

Jarabacoa, in the mountains, is beautiful. No beaches nearby, however.

de Valle is a beautiful area. But, as you correctly observe, getting there is not easy. I believe most, if not all, of the ocean front land is already purchased.

stan chapman

Nov 28, 2002
Playa del valle

If you go there, I highly recommend the main (well sort of) route from Samana. We took the "short" route from el Frances in March, which was still the dry season. The road was absolutely the roughest that we have experienced anywhere. Made the last few KM to playa Rincon seem like a highway. Stan.