Dollar out of control,drowning in water,business stocks down, what next?

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
The Dollar:
starts the morning at $41.30(Remesas Dominicanas and BHD) But dollars are not for sale except for transfers and credit card payments, if at all. The true rate is about $43, because check transactions go that high. My personal dollar rate "Dannon Yogourt" is at $48. It has never failed me.

Is Bolsa de Valores in Trouble?:
If you recall, last year and prior, I strongly recommended commercial certificates thru Bolsa de Valores. However, as early as last fall I began to lose confidence in this investment tool. I went back to bank certificates. I was right...so far. Bolsa de Valores certificates with September expirations have not been redeemed. Some companies issuing these cannot come up with the money for interest and capital. This is truly a shock and it will have deep repercussions. Rates were between 28 and 34%.

Another Banco Central rush?
I hear that more people are rushing to BC for more investment certificates. I have invested in this tool as the last resort. But my advice is STAY AWAY. I will pull out in January unless they "corral" me. The only safe place for money is in your own safe with you sleeping next to it with an Uzzi ready to fire(hopefully in dollars)

The Political General has been scolded:
Chief of Staff general Soto Jimenez has publicly ordered my most hated General Zorrilla Ozuna to shut his mouth, stop campaigning for the PPH and stick to your military duties, or else? He should have fired this civilian-minded political hack. Even Hippo agreed.

Will the entire Cibao be flooded?:
The Taveras Dam has so much overflow that the main drain system looks today like Nagara Falls. This water has nowhere to go but to the lowlands extending all the way from Montecristi to Samana. The entire town of Casta?uelas(4000 h.)is under water. The bananas plantations look like Mt. St. Helens revisited. Hippo has ignored this. The entire Cibao looks like the Great Lakes!!!

Joke of the Day:
Hippo has sent a check for $50,000 pesos to the town of Casta?uelas, along with 700 food rations for 4000 people and promised a HEFTY $25 million for the entire flood!!!!! The damages approach now in the billions.

TW

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Don't Worry! "Onions & Carrots" says that everything will be fine!!

All we have to do is increase the population! I'm doing my part,what about you? CC;)

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
It would appear that the lack of foresight(or the complete disregard) in planning for Natural Disasters within the DR has, what with the Earthquakes and now the Flooding, has finally come home to pester the Government(?) with the consequences of their actions(or lack thereof).
I'm certain the population of the Cibao will burn a few tires and cause additional interuptions of production in protests directed toward the Government(?) for not anticipating the necessity of supporting and providing relief for said population in their time of need.
Since this is an oversight on Government's(?) part, I'm also sure that the blame will be placed elswhere in some convoluted fashion.
Complete lack of solutions to forseeable problems seems to be the "Norm" in this country and shouldn't be viewed with tongue-in-cheek, but with absolute horror and demands for effective corrective measures.

Texas Bill

Mar 21, 2002
Hardy-har-har Cristoforo Colon

The money supply rises every year because indirectly there are more consumers every year. Concurrently a rise in population is indirectly related to the money supply. I like the word concurrently - sounds like the architect from the matrix.

Anyways businesss is as usual in the DR. People are coming and going. Now we have to see if the last final collapse will occur or not. Then and only then will I concede to all these doom and gloom characters on this board they have the razon.

What you are all stating is economic gobledy-gook. Interest rates, money supply, employment, foreign and national debts , bla-bla-bla.

The average shmoe in the DR might be a little worse off but the majority are still eating, drinking and procreating.

BTW since the population is increasing every year then a true disaster is not ocurring. Your apocalypse would be true if from one year to the next the DR population would decrease. Foe example the black palgue of the 14th century. Europe saw a real decrease of about 25%.

Now someone's living standards might decrease but that is a far cry from the end of the world which all you shmoes are advocating. Join Ravi Batra group.

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Onions&carrots it must be really dark in that box you live in.

How do they grow mushrooms?

With all the sky is falling posts, why are you all still living there?

You have too much invested to leave?

Are you anticipating a recovery and just weathering the storm?

or it does not effect you because your steady Retirement check
is always coming in the mail

Mar 21, 2002
Guys, relax. There might some economic contraction going on. Businesses are scaling back but mark my words. You are all going to feel a tad bit foolish when things get back on track. The probability of the great cataclysm is unlikely.

How many times have people proclaimed the US' imminent crash only to see their visions dashed. Those are unlikely scenarios. The great depression happened in 29 and nothing close has happened again.

Anything is possible, but ask yourself how probable is this event from occurring?

Thank you sancochojoe

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
OnionandCarrots obviously flunked Economics 101 and subsequent studies in that discipline.
Possibly History 101 Et Al also.

Either that or he really doesn't understand the dynamics that the progression of occurances will have on this country's economic situation.

The ongoing manipulation of the factors of production and their distributive shares by the politicians hav, thus far, been ruinous for near-term growth and possibly for years to come if such actions are not reversed soon.

Hippo and company are trying to prevent the sinking of the Titanic with an inadequate pump.

Times are going to be extremely difficult over the next few years, have no doubt about it.

Yes, the population will continue to grow, and I imagine by leaps and bounds since people won't have the money for otherwise entertaining themselves. That, in and of itself, will contribute to an even greater problem of feeding the masses. Money supply will be increased in an effort to stave off a collapse, but will only exacerbate the underlying causative factors. More loans will be sought by the administration in power, will probably be granted, but will only serve to further the undeniable, ultimate implosion of the economy.
Solution???
Intense financial discipline by the Government(?), heavy taxation on all forms of income, payment of outstanding debt, increase in export, increase of local production, introduction and encouragement of subsistence farming to alleviate decrease in purchasing power for foodstuffs. In addition, the forced(by legistative action) reduction of usurous rates of interest now being charged, thereby relieving some of the negative aspects of business expansion and sustained operation(also, this would relieve some of the debt service of the Government(?)).
My use, by the way, of the (?) next to "Government" is intentional, since tha organism doesn't seem to function as such with any regularity to the benefit of society.

Long Winded Texas Bill

Texas Bill

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2002
No Teaxas Bill I don't subscribe to your doomsday predictions. You'll see how quickly things are reversed. Argentina is starting to improve its economy and Ecuador is on a path to economic stability. The problems with you guys is that you see ghosts where there ain't any.

When I see a real disaster in the DR I'll be the first to announce it. The flooding in the cibao ain't nothing compared the devastation Mitch did in Honduras. it seems people have aproblem with degrees and relativity.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Yes but Mitch got lots of international media coverage and led to the countries affected receiving massive emergency assistance. It remains to be seen if the communities affected by flooding in the Cibao get any more than those paltry handouts.

O&C, on what, I wonder, do you base your comments about the birth rate? It is a universal fact that the more poverty and lack of education there is, the higher the birth rate.

Chiri

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
"There might some economic contraction going on. Businesses are scaling back but mark my words. You are all going to feel a tad bit foolish when things get back on track. The probability of the great cataclysm is unlikely."

:confused:

Nice to know that if inflation ever gets out of control anywhere that under your morepeople=moremoney 'theory' that we can always fall back on that old standby, genocide, to whack half the poulation and in the process solve that pesky little problem of too many monopoly pesos chasing to few goods. At least I feel comforted.

And people wonder why economic goobers like Hippolito, Grey Davis, Jimmy Carter, Mitterand, Castro, et al hang on to power. Read no further than O&C's 'understanding' of economics. What a steaming pile!

Tom (aka XR)

Mar 21, 2002
It seems many don't understand so I'll cease and desist. Chirmoya - look at true disasters. In a true mess populations decrease. They don't increase. Yes a rise in population leads to more poverty but not to a true economic debacle. As long as people are procreating things ain't that bad. Look at subsaharan countries if they wouldn't have received any foreign food aid. You would have seen some real disasters. As it is they are on the brink- Ethiopia.

Dummies I'll put it so that you can understand.

1) DR's population next year is less than this year = people leaving, babies dying en masse, people starving due to lack of food. Then macro mumbojumbo is having direct effect on the population.

2) DR's population next year is greater = your predictions are hogwash and just a normal variance of economic malarky.

Last edited:
Chirimoya said:
Yes but Mitch got lots of international media coverage and led to the countries affected receiving massive emergency assistance. It remains to be seen if the communities affected by flooding in the Cibao get any more than those paltry handouts.

O&C, on what, I wonder, do you base your comments about the birth rate? It is a universal fact that the more poverty and lack of education there is, the higher the birth rate.

Chiri

That may be so, but a higher baby mortality rate as well.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
My point is that poverty leads to higher populations, even if there is a high infant mortality index.

Poor countries like the DR have young populations, where a large percentage of people are under 15.

People have more children because they are poor: in some cases children are seen as a source of income in the long term - to look after their parents in their old age - or even in the shorter term, as child labour. Also because of lack of education about and/or availability of contraception.

To say that the fact that people in the DR are procreating, therefore they are OK, is absurd. If they really were OK they would be planning their families, and having fewer children without giving up life's simple and inexpensive pleasures.

If you want an indicator that things are better in a country, look for a falling birthrate.

Chiri

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Joe",are you Dominican?

Your "logic" is so twisted I am trying to account for it SOME way!CC:confused: :confused: :confused:

I have NOW figured out "Joes" "Background"!

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Right again "Escott"!

I am sending in a larger than normal donation right now! I am also sending something to "Take A Bite Out Of "DUMB", maybe they can help "Joe"! CC

:cool:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The ability to put "BIG WORDS" in a "so called" sentence,

..is not very impressive,when you don't know what the word means!!

Take "Plagiarize"for an example! Look it up Joe!!

You are just making a fool of yourself by trying to keep up with the DR1 "Literati"!!! Those schools in the "District" didn't prepare you for this!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC:cool: