North Coast dollar based ATM 's

Jwb

Jan 10, 2002
This may be a stupid question, but if I use my U.S ATM card in an ATM machine in POP. wil I get back dollars or pesos. I dont want to carry more cash than I need. But I also don't want to loose my card in some machine in POP.

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
you'll get only pesos.

safest way to use a bank's ATM is during banking hours, so if it keeps your card, the bank staff can get it back for you. We personally have the bank teller run it thru THEIR ATM machine behind teller booth. No fee then, if I remember correctly.

Jwb

Jan 10, 2002
Thanks Jan

I would have thrown a fit if I unintentionaly withdrew a stack of pesos using my U.S ATM card. could you imagine trying to convince the bank to take them back.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
don't sweat it

You could always use the pesos to pay for your lodging and/or car rental.

Worst case is someone here would buy them from you at say - - 25 to 1!

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
And darnit I would be damn pissed if I accidently took out dollars with my Banco Popular card while traveling in the US and wanted pesos.

Note: before anyone jumps on me, I have heard the question over and over again from tourists - I know it is asked with the utmost naivete but after getting yelled at by too many I had to turn the logic on them by reversing the question.