Amber Jewellery

Vancouver

Nov 20, 2003
Can anyone tell me the low-end price of amber jewellery (silver not gold) in the resorts in Punta Cana. I realize that they will be more expensive than in the city but I'm only going to be in one place and I would like an idea of prices so I can decide how much money to take for souveniers. Also, I don't like to haggle so I just want to go somewhere where the price is the price. I also want to take a couple of tours and was planning on the Mantei Park but now that I've read some of the posts here, I've changed my mind. Any recommendations for tours would be appreciated.

Thanks very much in advance.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
When you get home, don't take the jewelry you purchase to a jeweler to be evaluated. You won't be pleased when he tells you it is colored plastic.

Vancouver

Nov 20, 2003
So you're telling me that I shouldn't buy any??

I thought the DR was famous for it's amber. I didn't think that the resorts would rip tourists off.

Has anyone out there had that happen to them??

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Yes, the DR is noted for its amber. But if you want to buy real amber, you need to go to a reputable store. In the resort you will meet venders selling amber jewelry out of wooden cases. They will offer you the best deals if you are looking for low end amber. But, buyer beware.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Hi Vancouver,

Greetings from Nova Scotia.

If you want a reputable dealer (but expensive) then Harrisons http://www.harrisons.com/ is for you. They are in many of the resorts and major towns and cities in the DR.

If however you want trinkets, as Ken says it is "Caveat emptor!".

Gregg

Dec 9, 2002
Ken is spot on. Anything that you get offered from a case will not be genuine amber and will certainly not be silver. I am a big fan and have bought several beautiful pieces of Dominican amber, but you can only be assured of getting the real thing if you buy from a reputable jeweller.

I don't know about in Canada, but amber and silver jewellery in the UK is often cheaper than in DR, however, the amber is all baltic and personally I don't think the quality is quite as good as Dominican amber, unless you pay top whack.

At the end of the day, you will have to decide how much to spend. Low end is precisely tht. But don't forget - you get what you pay for.

Rosanie

Sep 20, 2002
I have picked up some nice Larimar jewellery at the Plaza Las Americas in Puerto Plata. There are usually a good number of beautiful amber and larimar pieces of work available in silver and gold. They have a large selection of jewellery.

Here is the link for more information about Plaza Las Americas: http://www.popreport.com/GrupoLA/plazala_splash.htm

There is also a Amber World Museum in Santo Domingo:
http://www.amberworldmuseum.com/

rmary

Oct 4, 2003
I've actually bought quite a lot of amber while in the DR, but then again, I knew a bit about amber before I ever went there. My favourite piece (and also the most expensive) I bought on my first trip to Samana. It is about 2 inches in height and about 1 1/2 wide, fairly flat, and has lots of "stuff" in it. It looks like a forest scene. It is lovely. I brought the piece back and had it sent in gold because I do not wear silver.

I have gotten some nice pieces from beach vendors, but you really do have to pick through a lot of "junk". I have found that they usually do not display amber in the boxes, but if you ask, they will bring out what they have. Again, you have to pick through. My friend and I both got nice tear drop pieces with the holes already bored through to string on a nice silk or leather cord. Don't be afraid to say, no you don't see anything that you like.

What I look for is a nice clear piece, but with some interesting "stuff" in it. Hold it up to the light to see. Also place it against you skin, to see how it will look that way, as that is how you would be wearing it.

The most important thing is to find something that is pleasing to your own eye.

I love amber, and loved it before I ever came to the DR. The fact that they have the best amber in the world, is just a bonus to me. I treasure all of the pieces that I have collected over the years.

Rose

rmary

Oct 4, 2003
One thing that I forgot to mention. While I was shopping for amber in Punta Cana, and showed some interest in a piece, the guy whisked it away and said that he was cleaning it. I asked him what he was using, and he sheepishly showed me that it was car wax, specifically turtle wax. It really does shine it up nicely

Rose

Freddy

Oct 20, 2003
Amber in Samana??

Rmary,

Where exactly did you buy your amber in Samana? Going next week and I like to purchase some.

Thanks

rmary

Oct 4, 2003
Hi Freddy,

It's been a few years since I bought my amber in Samana (1998 or 1999 ?). Believe it or not, I still have the a card from them. It does not list an address, but the name of the store was called "Indiana" (don't ask me why).

It was a fairly small store and nicely laid out. They mostly had pieces of amber rather than set jewellery. It was in a little section (kind of like a small strip mall) up more upscale shops.

I hope you are able to find it. They had some really beautiful pieces.

We will be heading into Las Terrenas for a couple of days in December. Really looking forward to getting back to Samana and checking out Playa Bonita.

Do let me know how you fare.

Rmary

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
Can anyone tell me the low-end price of amber jewellery (silver not gold) in the resorts in Punta Cana. I realize that they will be more expensive than in the city but I'm only going to be in one place and I would like an idea of prices so I can decide how much money to take for souveniers. Also, I don't like to haggle so I just want to go somewhere where the price is the price. I also want to take a couple of tours and was planning on the Mantei Park but now that I've read some of the posts here, I've changed my mind. Any recommendations for tours would be appreciated.

Thanks very much in advance.

www.lareinadominicana.com
Free pickup from your hotel, give them a call at +1 809 772 6873.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Bring a pin and a lighter. Heat pin, insert in plastic. No penetration then real. Buy nothing at the airport.