Would someone kindly help me with the english equivalent of the following:

Oficialia del Estado Civil
Oficial del Estado Civil

Thanks,

Nelly

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Wow, that was fast! How about one more: "Primer Suplente??? Thanks for your help!

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
otro help

Hey I have heard the term for food or to eat as someting that sounds like Manjarey I think it would be spelled something like manyori but I can't say. I cant find it in any of the dictionaries.
John

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Spanish or Italian?

That sounds like the Italian, mangiare which means "to eat." Are you certain it is a Spanish word?

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Oops...la profe got there first and spelled it right...how embarrassing - my Italian suuucks.

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Dominican girls who ,how shall I say this?

Have had some "Experiance" with Italian men often say "Mangare" when they start to eat!It is a "Tip Off"about that "Experience!!!Cris Colon

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
thanks

Thanks that gets me closer. When ever I hear a word used I like to get the meaning down.
I just could not find it in a dictionary anywhere. I at least know I am on the rigth track.
John

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
CrisCo nailed it. No need to wonder. I had a Dominican girlfriend for awhile years ago who had been to Italy, and hung around Italians. That's where it comes from. It's a Spanish speaker's rendition of the Italian words 'to eat'.

There are other strange words that really grate on the ears floating around in Sosua caused by foreigners who don't speak Spanish trying to communicate, and then the Dominicans pick up on these nonsense words and incorporate them into the local lingo thinking they're real. Things like "drinkie-drinkie", "finito" (actually that's close to the correct word in Latin, but it does not exist in Spanish), "freaky-freaky", and on-and-on.

Tom (aka XR)

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
"Finito" bugs me, too. If someone says to me, "Finito?" I'm very inclined to answer, "Si, muy fino"....

But "el freaky-freaky" is a great term, IMO. El tipo cojio freaki... I love it.