I love it, I LOVE it!!!!

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Heard on CNN this morning in the DR (had to keep it DR related somehow!!).
Four journalists discussing George Bush's trip to Britain & one said,
" I have to respect George Bush going to somewhere like Britain - it must be terribly difficult visiting a country where you don't speak the language!!"

Beautiful comment & said with SUCH a straight face too!!! - Grahame.

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Bloody bloomin ell mate!!! An he ad is trouble and strife wiv im!! Steak n kidney pie, chips an gravy wiv Betty Windsor as gotta be better than a burger in the oval orfice?
Of course he can't speak the lingo!!!
PS: More Brits arrived in Sosua - we're taking over!!!!!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Who said "two nations divided by a common language"?

Clue: they weren't Dominican.

Chiri (about to declare a marmite famine:cry: )

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Not braggin' nor noffin' Chiri, but just had two large jars delivered!! Tea & marmite crumpets at my place??? Tell me when & I'll make sure 'The Boss' is out shopping!!

NOTHING like a bit of crumpet on the side!!!!!- Grahame.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
BushBaby said:
Not braggin' nor noffin' Chiri, but just had two large jars delivered!! Tea & marmite crumpets at my place??? Tell me when & I'll make sure 'The Boss' is out shopping!!

NOTHING like a bit of crumpet on the side!!!!!- Grahame.

You saucy bleeder!

Seriously, I would love to come round for PG tips and Tesco's finest own brand crumpets, toasted with marmite (who called it the devil's poo?) some time, Grahame, and would be honoured to meet you - and the missus of course.

Chiri

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Dominican Babe said:
Chiri, if you need marmite (or anything else), I'm coming out on Sunday - just let me know.
Pat

A pot of Marmite, a packet of shreddies for the nipper, and your good self, of course. Planning a trip down saaarrrffff then? It would be smashing to meet you at last.

Chiri

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Ere Bushy .......

See wot you gone and dun nah? Blimey mate, you've started sumfink that's gonna get aht of control!!
Pissin' dahn in Cabarete again - cats and bloomin dogs it is!!! Will ave to break into the old dragon's Cadbury drawer, put on me jumper and wait for East Enders tomorra if this wevver keeps up!!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
"I would love to come round for PG tips and Tesco's finest own brand crumpets, toasted with marmite ". english folks

What the heck are you all talking about? I have never heard of these things. Don't you folks eat real food like hot dogs and hamburgers?

Dec 9, 2002
Larry (ILoveDR) said:
I heard that Prince Charles is a closet queer. Any truth to this?
According to all the gossip columnists in the UK just lately, yes he is. I tend not to read all that stuff in the press because I am simply not interested, but apparently Charles took out a "gagging order" against some guy (a previous employee I think) who was planning on blowing the whole thing wide open. It stopped him from talking to the British Press, but I believe there were loads of press agencies around the world who did run stories.

Chiri, I'm not sure if I'm going to make it south this trip, but I'll bring marmite and shreddies anyway - no doubt I can give them to someone at the do at Rockys who can get them to you? There must be someone?

Anyway, what's with all these east end (presumably) accents? We ay all lunderners ya know, arm from the black countraaay, an arm praaaad o me accent. Mind yow, ah cun spake it dead easy, bur it's really ard to write :confused:

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
BushBaby said:
Heard on CNN this morning in the DR (had to keep it DR related somehow!!).
Four journalists discussing George Bush's trip to Britain & one said,
" I have to respect George Bush going to somewhere like Britain - it must be terribly difficult visiting a country where you don't speak the language!!"

Beautiful comment & said with SUCH a straight face too!!! - Grahame.

it was just as funny on the bbc this morning (channel 73 in santo domingo - dr related).
the news woman (i can't remember her name), on seeing bush enter the plane for his trip to sedgefield, said....."and so there goes george best."
she corrected herself immediately, but as a result, i shall always associate the president of the united states with one of the world's greatest footballing alcoholics.

pasha

Sep 4, 2003
Was it not...

Chirimoya said:
Who said "two nations divided by a common language"?

Clue: they weren't Dominican.

Chiri (about to declare a marmite famine:cry: )
Churchill?

Best, P

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Clue: it was the same person who made that remark about "going from barbarism to decadence without an intervening period of civilisation".

Chiri

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Originally posted by Dominican Babe

>>Charles took out a "gagging order" against some guy (a previous employee I think) who was planning on blowing the whole thing wide open.

Fnaar Fnaar!

>>Chiri, I'm not sure if I'm going to make it south this trip, but I'll bring marmite and shreddies anyway - no doubt I can give them to someone at the do at Rockys who can get them to you? There must be someone?

Oh, I hope you do. I don't know what it is with the north coast crowd, you all seem to think Santo Domingo is this distant land. It's only 3 hours away! If not, there's our Robert (who was recently described as Liverpudlian, gawd knows why) or others who could be persuaded to help out. I will send reimbursement (name your poison!) out with them.

>>Anyway, what's with all these east end (presumably) accents? We ay all lunderners ya know, arm from the black countraaay, an arm praaaad o me accent. Mind yow, ah cun spake it dead easy, bur it's really ard to write :confused:

I know, it's like a bad am-dram production of My Fair Lady! And that folks is my other clue.

Where are you from in the Midlands?

Chiri

Last edited:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
When I was in England, I had trouble understanding many accents. Sometimes I was totally lost. I couldn't believe brits don't realize they speak like this. To me it requires a huge effort to pronounce the way they all do there. I wonder if their mouths get tired of speaking in the end of the day?
Anyway, I was in Prague with a friend. When we arrived, Bob (friend of my traveling friend) was on his way back (rotational duty, my friend was replacing him and I was simply tagging along). Bob has a think british accent and when he spoke to the czech people, some didn't have a clue what he was saying. So Bob manages to get into a verbal argument with one of his co-workers (a cute Czech girl). After arguing for a few minutes, the girl was all lost because Bob's accent was over her head. So finally she yells out with frustration "oh come on, you english folks might have invented the english language, but now you can't even speak it anymore....".
Hahahahaha, I was rolling on the floor from laughter.

Dec 9, 2002
AZB said:
I couldn't believe brits don't realize they speak like this.
But we do realise it, and lots of people are very proud of their regional accents. I know I am, and I hope I never loose it. I do think accents are important and they are part and parcel of who you are as well as identifying where you are from. If nothing else they are a talking point when meeting new people!

Chiri, I was born in Wolverhampton and lived there for 38 years or so, before leaving to travel the big wide world. I have been living in Basingstoke (ugly town) for about 4 years now, and although my black country accent has probably softened a little, I soon fall back into a very broad Wolves accent when I go back to visit.

Marmite and shreddies it is then, I'll pass them on to Robert for you.

beachcomber

Oct 15, 2003
Larry (ILoveDR) said:
I heard that Prince Charles is a closet queer. Any truth to this? Anyone?

Its private schools old chap!! cheers, or should I say bottom`s up:bored:

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
DB you are a star! I will of course check with Robert that he is Ok about doing courier duty.

One of my best mates in England is from near Wolverhampton, a village called Wombourne. He introduced us to the delights of Banks's bitter in the days when it was not yet available outside the Midlands. Your phonetic rendition of the WM accent brought it all back to me in a flash. Great stuff.

AZB - have you ever met anyone from Glasgow? They used to have to run subtitles on British TV. Some Northern Ireland accents are pretty impenetrable to the unaccustomed ear.

Buen viaje

Chiri