Is it possible ?

de polanco

Nov 21, 2003
Hello everybody,

I'm a Canadian woman who have llived in the DR (Puerto Plata) for 2 years, I'm 27 and happily married with a Dominican who arrived here in Canada since 5 months. We have decided ( more me than my husband)to move here after passing by a difficult financial situation in the DR, thinking in our future.

My husband has'nt finish University for beeing working at the same time like secretary and project promotor in a campo with a salary of 3000 pesos/month and me working for 8000 pesos/month (even if I speak/write 3 laguages: french, english and spanish). Even like that , we we're having trouble paying everything (and we were not going out very often, and doing no-luxuous grocery!). I was very well used and integrated with Dominican Republic and its people. I was feeling that I was in my place better in DR than here, but I was'nt able to see us with these salaries having children and beeing unable to pay for great school or good medical cares if necessary. So...we moved.

But I'm really nostalgic, I LOVE this country. It has'nt been difficult for my husband to settled here. everything is going very well, but maybe one day he will wants to come back who knows? I still asking me THE queestion:

Is it possible, if we don't have money to start business, to live well in Dominican Republic ??? Which careers are doing well donw there ? In 2 years I have only seen salaries of 8 000-10 000 pesos MAX. Except some hotels managers or layers thatt I know.

Maybe in Santo Domingo the work market is better ? My husband was in informatic systems engineering and still wants to do this careeer, and I'm an agriculture technician thinking now to take a university degree in translation.

Who can give me a little hope that my dream is not impossible ?

M?lanie

Loro1

Feb 23, 2003
Off Topic

Dear de polanco,

This is really off topic...I wanted to know how hard it was to get your husband here to Canada. I live in Ottawa and have been travelling to the DR since I was 11 yrs and now I am 26 yrs. My boyfriend and I own a bar in La Union close to Puerto Plata airport. I was living there and I had to come home as I got very sick with some sort of a bacteria. I am trying to get him here and have a notarized letter of invitation and he has all the other papers required. He has gone to SDQ 2 times and paid the RD1875 fee 2 times and has gotten no where. I got the phone number today for the office in Haiti but did not have a chance to call.

He ownes his own vehicle, house, has ample money in the bank and is part owner of the bar with me. They refused him because of his job, that he does not have enough money for his ticket and he does not have enough money to live here with.

Can you please give me some advice?

Thanks alot...Laurel :)