Internet Via satellight dish?

blanca

Jan 23, 2003
I live in the campo near Nagua. We have a 20 foot dish and want to know how or what service provider offers internet connections.
Also, is there a copmany that offers free service that lets you make free local/international phone calls?

Thanking everyone in advance,

Blanca

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
I use satellite internet here at Xanadu. Send an e-mail or PM to 'Chris' on this board for more information.

Tom (aka XR)

Bolt

Jun 12, 2002
www.wireless-alarms.com
Once you do find a way of getting an internet connection then the cheapest way of getting international phone calls is via your PC internet connection using www.go2call.com Prices are from just 3.5 cents per min to US Canda UK etc and the quality is now superb albeit the technology was a bit flaky a year or so ago. I know because i use it everyday for business calls for hours at a time and no one knows where i am the line is so clear! In fact its cheaper for me to phone from here in the DR to UK then a national call back in the UK.

Canada: 4.5?
Mexico: 6.5?
US: 3.5?
Argentina: 12?
Brazil: 8.5?
Chile: 9?
France: 4.5?
Germany: 4.5?
UK: 4?
Kuwait: 22?
Saudi Arabia: 20?
UAE: 31?
China: 7.9?
India: 34.9?
Japan: 5.9?
Kenya: 29?
South Africa: 18?

(Prices in US)

It is also cheaper to make calls to DR cellular here compared to using codetel as the latter has ITBIS and telecom tax added to the call cost and go2call does not.

Dominican Republic USD 0.130 flat rate to cellular and landline. No ITBIS.

It is extremely doubtful you can use satellite for VOIP phone use though due to the massive latency or delay on your voice rendering it very hard to hold a conversation.

Oh before anyone dares mention net2phone they have the worst sound quality, not the cheapest, worse customer service and terrible echo :)

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Tom,

How's your satellite internet holding up? I have heard things have improved a great deal recently. Whats your upstream/downstream? How about latency? Any chance of a traceroute? :)

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Bolt said:
It is extremely doubtful you can use satellite for VOIP phone use though due to the massive latency or delay on your voice rendering it very hard to hold a conversation.

This is not doubtful any longer. There are new products on the market (two new products in the last two months, that claim to solve the latency problem and also the frame length problem - which is the bigger problem. We are starting testing one of the products in about two weeks. Initial reports from friends and collegues in the field claim that these products work well.

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
satellite internet

Hey I have been watching the thread. Are there anyone that installs the service? And realizing it will be 17 months before ia m down there I know prices/ performance/ options are not goign to be valad then.
Thanks John

mikeyone

Apr 16, 2003
Satelite Dish

Anyone know where to get a Dish and installation in either the Nagua or Bonao, La Vega Areas. and approx. cost.... Thanks.. M.