Garbage....

oniblast

Apr 26, 2003
We all know that garbage has always been a great deal in the DR but something that I wonder a lot about is why haven?t any government ever thought of recycling programs?? Dominicans are fast learners; they can be taught to recycle, can?t they??

Right now I am in India and made a quick trip to Thailand and it is incredible how sparkling clean that city is?they give you a fine even for throwing gum in the streets..oh! and if you smoke be sure to do it next to a dustbin cause if you get caught throwing any cigarette bun in the streets you will have to pay more than what the pack cost you.

I heard that in DR they were charging people that throw garbage in the streets, but what happens with the money??? Does it end in a colmado after the police officer has a masita and a mabi???

Have any of you actually seen this happen?? Or better yet, have any of you ever been charged?? (shame on you if you have).

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
You haven't spent much time in the DR. In my neighborhood, there are endless trashpickers "recycling" at curbside, every night. I seriously doubt whether one presidente bottle, one plastic jug, glass bottles, cardboard, or any inoperable electrical anything, EVER makes it to the dump. Just the wet trash does.

As far as trash in the streets, get rid of the packs of dogs tipping over the trash, train people to put their trash in cans instead of in front of their neighbor's house on the sidewalk, or in the gutter in a plastic bag, etc and it will help clean things up.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
It may help clean things up but when I was driving behind a car of Dominicans going to Cabarete from Sosua yesterday evening a big load of garbage went flying out the window of that car. No thought that headlights were right behind him. Not a care in the world.

I don't know anyone that has been fined for littering. Dominicans leave there mess at the beach without care or consideration to others or even themselves. Not every Dominican but enough to make it completely noticable.

Sorry but garbage, motorconchos and noise are my pet peeves.

Escott

oniblast

Apr 26, 2003
I used to live in Zona Colonial and I did see people cleaning up every single day..but then again, Zona Colonial is not only residential, they have a patronage that makes sure things are done. Before, I lived in Gazcue and even there sometimes 4 days went by without the garbage truck showing up. I wonder how things would be in any normal residential neighborhood.

Escott, what you say about the beaches it?s true and Politur doesn?t seem to be doing anything about it. Actually, what is it that they do?? In the Malecon Area Guibia used to be the recreational spot for the distinguished and now look at that beach, it can?t be called a beach anymore. Now it?s just where the poopie from all the area and the garbage of all the chimis end up. Shame, shame, shame.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I beg to differ.....Pto.Pta. Anyway

I have lived and worked in Puerto Plata since 1989 and there is a vast differance in the Garbage situation on the streets and on the Playa....then in recent years.

Just take a drive along the Malecon at 6:00 AM. and you will see the girls sweeping ang cleaning the streets.

Often I see the Military out in full force cleaning the Playa.

Yes you do see the Idiot's leaving garbage and Beer bottles around, However you also see people collecting the Beer bottles ( One Mans garbage another Mans treasure)

If you go into downtown Puerto Plata you will see how clean the Town is as compared to just a few months ago.

Some times I even see people go out of thier way to depoit trash in a litter basket

Then on the other hand perhaps people just don't have the money to buy the products that become litter....

Some of the Tourists used to tell me what a sh.. hole this place is, I do not hear that as much any more...

Just my observation

Gringo

Last edited: