DR1 Thanksgiving Bash...

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
First off I want to thank Delores and Robert for being our both official and unofficial Sponsors for this Party and allowing us to put their name on it. That happens to be a risky deal considering the crowd we attract and the damage we can do to their business reputation! LOL I also want to thank Marco (our Rocky) of Rockys Bluesbar and Restaurant for working as hard as he has to get and keep this together. Not an easy job considering the strain we are going to put on the joint that night. Hell just keeping track of reservations is enough to give someone a coronary.

Second I want to thank each and everyone of you who has both participated in the thread and is going to participate in the US Thanksgiving Party that is going to be held at Rockys in Sosua this coming week. We sold out pretty early due to the fact we can only hold 100 people for dinner and even at 100 we can hardly get it done. I assure you after speaking to Ted the Bartender that the Presidente's will be cold and the Rum drinks complete with rum! :) I had to twist his arm a bit!

If you are in town and would have liked to participate but couldnt get a seat please come by at 9pm for drinks and great conversation with a great group of people. I along with many others here can honestly say it will be the finest time that can be had in this country without going to jail afterwards!

I will be delighted to meet you and see all the folks I have previously met. No where else will you be able to meet all the people you have read for all these months in one place in the flesh. Bring any questions with you as well since most of the people with the great info will be there to answer them for you. These are the same people that have answered my questions I needed answered before I bought property and set up home here and are a wealth of information that would be impossible to reproduce anywhere in the Dominican Republic or the world.

Due to the change in the Peso from 28 to 1 when we made the menu and the current price which is over 40 to 1 the price of the Turkey Dinner has unfortunately risen to 249- Pesos. Not at all bad considering you get a nice meal, coffee and dessert but I want to apologize for this. We didn't know that the Peso would crap out like it did.

Dinners start being served from 6pm on. We hope to be finished serving by 8:30 to 9pm and just drinks after that.

I am looking forward to meeting and seeing all of you!

Escott

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Please call me?

Scott: I need to talk to you.
226-8187

HB

I couldn't get the PM or the email button to work, so I took this way to get to you...

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Very,very sorry to report that I won't be there. I'm in bed with worst case of the gripe that I've ever had. And adding to my misery is the fact that I have a pinched nerve or something that prevents me from typing with left hand. Can't control the fingers to typewhen arm bent in typing position. So any typing is done with one finger of right hand.

I was really looking forward
to meeting many dr1ers but it is not to be.

GringoDiablo

Nov 8, 2003
Ken, sorry to hear that. Does this mean you wont be showing me around the gym in Sosua? By the way, have they opened the new one yet? What are my options?

Dale

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Depends on when you are coming. If before end of year, go to Golden Park. Just as you are leaving Sosua for Cabarete, you will see a big sign saying gym at corner of highway and a shot street that goes to right. Gym at end of it. You can't miss it.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Thanksgiving

My first Thanksgiving here in the Dominican Republic was not what I had become used to with my family in the United States.

Alba, pregnant with our soon-to-be-daughter Ghislaine, and I had just fled our home on the North Coast to an apartment in Santiago. We had no furniture or appliances to speak of. A mattress set with legs, a small glass table and a few chairs, no refrigerator yet. Just a microwave oven to heat food. And very little money to buy food! But we had each other amd I was determined to celebrate Thanksgiving! I bought what I could at the supermarket and prepared it all in the microwave as a surprise for my Alba. No turkey, chicken breast slices in gravy. Potatoes, stuffing, cranberries, a bottle of champagne, and candles.

I didn't know it at the time, but I think that may have been my favorite Thanksgiving of all.

Each year since I have said Thank You to my wife and family and friends at Thanksgiving here at Xanadu by cooking a huge feast for all. The cooking starts the night before. The house takes on the wonderful smells of roasting turkey and fresh bread through the night. I wake and head to the kitchen every few hours to baste and pull new little treats in and out of the oven so all will be ready by late morning.

Thanksgiving Day is a time to share food and fun with those who make our lives so much better and fuller! It's a time for me to play with the children, introduce Dominicans to everything from my pumpkin pies to NFL football, set up the Christmas tree, lights, and decorations, play games in the pool, eat lots of turkey, drink champagne, and most of all hang out and celebrate being alive and well and deeply in love with the best people on the planet - my Alba and the kids. I can't think of anyone else I'd rather have call me 'Papi Tom' than those kids!

The world is full of blessings, yet sometimes they are so obvious, we can't see them. For me, this is one of those blessings. I do not wish to miss this wonderful day with my loved ones! So, it is with a little sadness that I won't be meeting some of you, but also with great relief that I will have the day free to spend with my loved ones, that I have decided to spend the day here at Xanadu and not attend.

Enjoy yourselves, one and all. I know you will have a great time, and hope to meet you all some other time in the future.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Tom (aka XR)

johnsr

Bronze
Apr 13, 2002
Re: Thanksgiving

XanaduRanch said:

Thanksgiving Day is a time to share food and fun with those who make our lives so much better and fuller!
The world is full of blessings, yet sometimes they are so obvious, we can't see them. For me, this is one of those blessings. I do not wish to miss this wonderful day with my loved ones!

Well said Tom. This is something that I, (and I am sure others) need to remember all year and not just on Thanksgiving Day !!
John

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
I will. Looking forward to it, and thanks again. And, I just today thought of a great use for the spent corks.

Tom (aka XR)

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Holiday Travel

Anything that those of us coming from the South should need to know about travel plans for Wednesday?

With the flooding problems are there any road problems that we should be aware of, besides pot holes resembling something from downtown Baghdad?

Eddy, are there a couple condos available for Wednesday night? We're going to spend Wed/Thurs. in the Sosua area before heading to Cabarete on late Thursday, early Friday.

Thanks, look forward to seeing/meeting everyone.

I'll be the guy that looks like he really needs a haircut.

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
Happy thanks giving

Happy thanksgiving and God bless all of you,

the best wishes,

Homer simpson

Last edited:

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
It was mentioned sometime ago that this bash would also be a memorial to Johnny Honda & someone sugested putting a bowl or some other container on the bar for contributions for Johnny's family. Is this still the case? His name seems to have been missed on recent posts & I would hate for this golden oportunity to remember him was going to be missed!!

I shall be there with "She who must be Obeyed" at 6.30, but we will NOT be having a meal as we are pre-booked for an 8.00 pm nosh elsewhere. Sorry if we miss any of you late arrivals who are coming just for the drinks session - hope we can meet up sometime in the future.

Sorry to be missing you too XR (AKA Tom) as I was hoping to discuss 'Damsels in distress' who come looking for lodgings. Pity about that ........ Ah well, maybe we can get round to that at some future stage!!

Get the Brandies ready Marco - one for me & one for Johnny. And tell all your young ladies NO ICE IN THEM !!!!!! I nearly had heart failure at Eddy's when one of the angels was putting ice my brandy there!! - Grahame.

Last edited:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Brandy

"Get the Brandies ready Marco - one for me & one for Johnny. And tell all your young ladies NO ICE IN THEM !!!!!! "

Does that mean you would like brandy popsicles?

We'll be glad to put a "collection hat" at the bar for Johhny's family.

Marco.

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
I'm sorry to miss it... but soon.

Have a blast, everyone, and I hope the weather will be looking brighter for you.

XR, your turkey tale ... or is that tail? is fine wine. You better be working on the sci-fi too, because I'll expect to see results when I get there.

BB-- if I'm the damsel to whom you allude, put your sword away, knight of old, there is no distress.

I follow Tao... to flow with the stream is the only way to fly. The right thing happened. I mean that.

XR and I have agreed that he will speak well of me in the dedication of his first book, so don't mess it up for me! I want that dedication. hee.

D

Last edited:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
late

We'll be coming into town late from visiting a customer and will probably miss the turkey. Anyone that would like to eat our turkey, is welcome to do so.

Richard and I expect to join y'all around 9.

Ken, sorry to hear that you are feeling poorly - the Dominican Grippe puts one down for a couple of days. Will catch up with you probably in the supermarket sometime...

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
kids allowed?

my babysitter is sick, but since it's an early dinner, is it ok if we bring my 6 year old daughter with us? I would share my turkey with her.
Please let me know, if this would be a problem to bring the child.

quaqualita

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Re: Holiday Travel

Cleef said:

Eddy, are there a couple condos available for Wednesday night? We're going to spend Wed/Thurs. in the Sosua area before heading to Cabarete on late Thursday, early Friday.

Cleef, sorry I'm late on his one. Jan just got the last one.