Punta Cana or La Romana

DRdiving

Nov 2, 2003
I have been to the Santo Domingo area and to the Puerto Plata area numerous times and would like to try another area. I am looking to travel in late December to an all-inclusive. I guess the other main touristy areas I know of are Punta Cana and La Romana. I am interested in diving and a resort that might rent catamarans. Can anyone give me a brief description of some of the various features/charateristics that differ between Punta Cana and La Romana? Are there any particular resorts or side trips that you'd recommend?

Thanks in advance!

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
First off, La Romana has one main resort, Casa de Campo and its more oriented towards golf and now with the new marina, fishing.
It is not well known for diving although I took my diving certification tests in Casa de Campo. They have some equipment for rent in the beach, mainly for windsurf as I recall. I am not sure if they had a catamaran or not.

Speaking of Catamarans, in the Bayahibe, which is close by, they have catamaran(the big ones) tours.

Punta Cana has more variety I think. Although the resorts are not as high end as in Casa de Campo, the beaches alot nicer in Punta Cana. There are several diving outfits that you can choose from and small boats that take you out to different sites. In the end its cheaper too.