RENT QUESTION?????????

MONCHI8

Jul 9, 2003
Hello,

I just got back from a week in Santo Domingo were I was looking at apartments to rent. It seems that everyone requires you get a "guarantor" or a person who will be responsible for you if you should default on rent. Is there any way around this? I have perfect credit so I don't see a reason why I have to have one of my realtives sing for me. Thanks in advance.

Ramon

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Everybody in the D.R. has perfect credit and that is why a "guarantor" is requested. More than likely it is the landlord giving you the brush off. Is there a way around this? Yes, get your relatives to co-sign or pay everything up front. Regards, PJT

MONCHI8

Jul 9, 2003
Thanks for the reply PJT

I guess those are my only two options. By the way is everything this way when buying something big, let's say like a car?
I'm thinking of buying a vehicle too do they need a "guarantor" for that? Thanks

Ramon

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
If you look responsible you will have no problem with this. I have rented 2 apartments without an issue.

You could also try submitting references from previous places you have lived in.

MONCHI8

Jul 9, 2003
Thanks adrianb,

I can't give them references since the only placed I've lived is here in the US and would prefer that the people I rent from not know this since they'll probably try to jack up the rent and pull some stuff that they wouldn't pull on a native.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
adrianb said:
If you look responsible you will have no problem with this. I have rented 2 apartments without an issue.

You could also try submitting references from previous places you have lived in.

Yes, do get references from previous places you have lived in. However, make them recent for long term rentals of at least six months or over, anything less will be suspect. If unable to get a reference then provide rental receipts or canceled rental checks. Also add ...proof of employment and salary. Regards, PJT

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Money Talks Bulls... Walks

You need a Guarantor......Just pay 12 months advance in CASH.....It will work, thats what makes this Country tick.

The landloard will not only pass you the key, He will give you a date with his Dauther!

Good luck

Gringo

Last edited:

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
To buy a car you do not need a guarantor. The car itself will guarantee the loan. If you do not pay, they repossess the car.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Sounds funny

Monst places just want four months rent. So called First Month, Last Month and two months in advance.

BUT, you are expected to pay every month, right from the start. This way if you are ever late on the rent, you forfeit your "deposit" and proceedings are begun to kick you out.

Guarantors seem a bit much, but maybe the person did not want to rent to you...

HB

MONCHI8

Jul 9, 2003
Like I said before I see that my choices are clear now. Either get someone to co-sing or pay a lot up front. I'll pay a lot up front but this option brings up another question. Let's say I give the landlord 12 months rent in one lump sum and get all my receipts from him and we have a lease. I don't know anything about DR renting laws so I'm wondering how easy is it for him to say a month later "hey I changed my mind I don't want to rent to you GET OUT" never to see my money again. Is this likely to happen?

MONCHI8

Jul 9, 2003
Hillbilly

From what everyone told me you need a "Guarantor" to rent in certain places. I guess it's their form of insurance if you happen to skip town and not pay.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
MONCHI8 said:
I don't know anything about DR renting laws so I'm wondering how easy is it for him to say a month later "hey I changed my mind I don't want to rent to you GET OUT" never to see my money again. Is this likely to happen?

The renting laws overly protect the tenant. I have a friend who rented her house. The tenant refused to pay after a few months. It took her ten years of pain, bureaucratic b.s., and lawyer ripoffs to get the tenant to finally leave. [My friend was brought up in a refined household and refused to arrange for broken legs.] That is why landlords want money up front. Regards, PJT

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You will NEVER see your deposit again!

Suppose you pay 12 months in advance,then there is no water,the neighbors play music all night long,dogs shit in your hallway,and those are just the "Good" things!!!

If they have 3 months deposit,don't pay the last 3 months rent!

Everyone who rents a good apartment,or house,wants a garantor!
cc

principe

Nov 19, 2002
dude

monchi & alexandra............

i know an apartment for rent in the capital right in the heart of gazcue