What Happens if the PLD Loses ...

Apr 26, 2002
... by fraud? Would there be an insurrection? The impression I get on the street, for the first time ever that I can remember, is that this would be possible.

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
Who knows? There certainly is a lot of tension built up (perhaps the understatement of the year) that seems to be put on hold pending the outcome of the elections. If the outcome is clearly fraudulent in favor of the current administration I could see that tension come bursting loose. What the actual result will be, we will have to wait to see.

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
the wheels of the pph turning

In the group of not so notable news this week there lies the protests and claims from two of the major political parties to remove a group of judges of the Junta Central Electoral who are politically compromised with the PPH faction. The Reformists and the PLD have been unsuccessful in getting the story noticed in the news and seems that the JCE is deaf at the requests of an investigation.
Could this be the wheels of conspiracy at work? Could this be part of a masterly conceived plan to facilitate the re-election of an unpopular president? I guess we'll have to keep tuning in to find out.

principe

Nov 19, 2002
Leonel

PLD all the way to the bank. Why dont the PRSC and PLD form some lose alliance in order to squash any hope whatsoever of the PRD winning anything, aaaaaaaaaaand on the flipside LEONEL is lobbying hard across the globe to watch out for fraud.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Jimmy Carter is a JOKE,just like all the other "Observers"!

Two banks in this country stole over 3 Billion US dollars over the last few years,the Government has stolen Billions more.Yet the international NGOs,banks,and investment brokers were telling us to "Buy Dominican Bonds"!
You don't think a simple thing like "rigging" an election would be a difficult task in the DR?

One more thing,You really can't "ArmChair-Quarterback" the Dominican Political Process,or anything else, if you don't live here 24/7,and watch,read,and discuss what is happening every single day! Please follow what is going on with interest,but your "What Ifs",and "Why Don'ts" really don't apply here!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

roca

Jun 23, 2003
More than thinking what could happen if PLD does not win, how about analyzing what could happen if the PLD does win? Don't for a minute think I want Hipo to stay, but let's be realistic for a minute. How is Leonel planning to govern this country? He has no congress, no Liga Municipal, a few ayuntamientos, and NO MONEY to work with. As much damage that Hipo's cabinet has caused to this country, it is a fact that this island has not burned in strikes because strikers have always been PRD. With Leonel in power I cannot even imagine what the strikers will do. I would even go as far as guessing Leonel would not last 4 years before he resigns to the presidency. Any way I see it, we have at least 6 more years of this situation, if not worse. Any additional thoughts?

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
I agree with you. I dont want Hippo to stay, but lets face it, its a loose-loose situation. Leonel os a depressive individual, we all know of the rumors when he was president. Good leaders when times are good are not necesarily gopod leaders in hard times.
Just consider these facts:
He'll have less government participation than he had ever before.

He will not have the stable and growing economy that Balaguer left him in 1996.

He will have no money to invest in infrastructure like he did before.

If he lacked the balls (or pants accoirding to Amable) back in 1997, with a more hostile government working against him, how many strike do you think we'll have against the government?

Despite this, I'd rather go down knowing whoever is responsible suffered a humiliating defeat. I really dont give a hoot if he is our next president, I really dont sympathise for him, but I am sure of the one thing I dont want and thats another 4 years of the Hippster.

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
SO YOU WANT HIPPO TO STAY! Bro what is wrong with you guys! you and Sancocho are starting to get pissed with your Idiotic ideas one wants a Dictator and the other wants to create one!
F**k That the hell with Hippo and the PRD if he stays in power i'm pretty sure he will be taken away by one of his own.

I GUESS DOMINICANS ARE STUPID IF THEY THINK LIKE YOU AND SANCOCHO JOE.

Are you nuts or in need of some?

El Gato ERICK

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
I know you are but what am I?:bandit:

I am not saying I want a dictator in power. I am saying that 52% of all Latin Americans want one if he/she can make positive changes in their societies. Its a poll in today's Diario Libre so you don't have to take my word for it you charming idiot.

;)

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2002
Overheard in a colmado:

"Of course, my cedula is for sale to the highest bidder. I need money like everyone else. But I really hope that Leonel is the highest bidder."

That's progress, I guess.

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
i was convinced from the beginning that hipolito would be here to stay.....fraud or not, he will be very difficult to remove.
if he is to stay, he is, without doubt, another robert mugabe in the making.

however, now i'm not so sure. the one man who is pulling the master strokes is not hipolito or leonel, it is hatuey.

how many people believed leonel would be president before the 1996 elections? hatuey is in a similar position (as far as popularity polls go) at the moment.

unpopular as hatuey is deemed to be, he has almost blown away ortiz bosch and subervi. they will probably have to resort to supporting hatuey now - it serves them right for accepting readies from you know who to switch allegiance, r.e. conventions.

hatuey can't lose, if hipolito does become the next prd candidate, hatuey, etc. will support leonel.
leonel will try to clear up the mess from hipolito and fail or take whatever is left.
the prd will be so strong behind hatuey that if he isn't president this time, he's a sure-fire win for 2008.

well, i hope he is, because i am well in with hatuey and i want my piece of the pie! ha!

(actually, if hipolito does win, hatuey might find things a little more complicated).

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
bochinche said:

well, i hope he is, because i am well in with hatuey and i want my piece of the pie! ha!

hmmm...I hope you are just kidding about getting your cut if hatuey ever wins...otherwise I would be very dissapointed.

If the PLD loses, what happens depends on who wins

I think you guys are not taking into consideration the PRSC.

If the PRSC wins, we will have in power the political party that has taken our country out of an economic caos twice. And we will have a President, who, like Balaguer, has been honest in his public positions.

However, if the PRD wins, it will be very sad for my country.

I want that Eduardo Estrella to wins because he is the only candidate with an honest reputation, and I beleive corruption is our biggest problem. In that sense, he has the moral to fight more seriously against corruption.
Another thing, that was mention in one of the previous post. is that the PRSC can negotiate more easily with the PRD and PLD, and can make a better government.

Chriss

roca

Jun 23, 2003
Eduardo Estrella? You have got to be kidding me. Eduardo will never pass the 20% barrier, if he even reaches a 20% and when the 2nd round of votes comes, we all know he will stand behind his boss and master, THE PPH. Yes, Eduardo is nothing but Hippo's puppet.
And everyone knows this. That's why his candidacy is not growing.

But I have a question for those living in the interior. I know for a fact Hipo will not win in the capital. Many perredeistas will not vote for him either. But in the interior I'm not so sure. Ley de Lemas aside, what is the feeling of the mayority in those provinces other than the capital? My concern is Hipo has in fact done many things in the interior, from zinc and wood, to land titles, etc.

Please let me know what is going on there as I am receiving mixed feelings.

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
roca said:
My concern is Hipo has in fact done many things in the interior, from zinc and wood, to land titles, etc.

I'll tell you whats going on. They park truck loads of materials(a maneuver I first saw Leonel do) and they threaten to stop the supply if they dont vote in favor o the PPH. They have caused hundreds of small ferreterias and construction supply businesses to stop selling lumber or zinc because they cant compete.

BTW, Eduardo is not a PPH man, that is a misconception created by Hipolito to deflate his candidacy and efficiently exploited by the PLD to contain key reformist sympathies. Eduardo owes his candidacy to Guaroa Liranzo and Guaroa Liranzo also owns Leonel Fernandez. Despite the fact that Guaroa has put in government all the past presidents (including Hippo....yes, at first half of this admnstrt, they where buddies) it is still to be seen if Leonel will win even with his support.

I am afraid, my friends, that hippo will not go quietly into that good night.

roca said:
Eduardo Estrella? You have got to be kidding me. Eduardo will never pass the 20% barrier, if he even reaches a 20% and when the 2nd round of votes comes, we all know he will stand behind his boss and master, THE PPH. Yes, Eduardo is nothing but Hippo's puppet.
And everyone knows this. That's why his candidacy is not growing.

But I have a question for those living in the interior. I know for a fact Hipo will not win in the capital. Many perredeistas will not vote for him either. But in the interior I'm not so sure. Ley de Lemas aside, what is the feeling of the mayority in those provinces other than the capital? My concern is Hipo has in fact done many things in the interior, from zinc and wood, to land titles, etc.

Your predictions are very interesting. Right now I am only reading your opinion, however I would like you to bring facts that back up that opinion.

I also have a question. When you say that everybody knows this, who especifically are you refering to? every dominican? everybody in PLD? everybody who?

Chriss

Last edited: