deep fried turkey.

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
Hey everyone I am going to be down in Sosua fromt he 16th of Dec until the 26th. I am wondering where I can either locate the stuff or if anyone knows of a bar that would deep fry a turkey for me.
Well thanks.
John

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I don't know about deep dried turkey in sosua, but I have a friend (escott) who always orders a whole deep friend goat in sosua. send him a PM. He even smells like a goat sometimes.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Cuidado!!!

Be very very careful deep frying turkey. People have been severely burned by boiling grease splashed when slippery birds are dropped in or near it.

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
US NAvy Cook

I fry turkeys all the time for my ship on the fantail. I love frying them. I was intoruduced to them by an American expat that worked for Wackenhut when I was in Cameroon.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If you'll bring one

If you can bring one with you, I'll buy it here....

Yeah, I know it would be a pain, but I have not seen it done here,,,,,yet. My cigar buddies on a cigar site say it is the best turkey possible. In fact a Navy Chief stationed in Japan told me that it the only way he ever eats turkey.

I'll provide the turkey and we can invite a few friends!!

Email me if you would like to introduce this to the DR..

HB

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
deepfried

Basically you need a big pot with grease. Peanut oil is the preferred but lard will work. You make a rack out of a coat hanger and hang the turkey on it. You heat the grease to 375 and drop it in. The turkey takes 7 minutes a pound to cook. Use a meat thermometer and when the temp is 180 it is done.
You can inject a baste inside. I prefer pineapple juice and garlic but I have seen all kinds of stuff. The skin sears in the cooking process and seals all the moisture inside.
I have thought of buying pot and bringing it in my luggage but I don't know if it would not be easier to get one there. The one we have on the ship we had made for us by a sub tender in Lamad in Italy two years ago.
John

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
Hillbilly
I am the poor fool that lost his wallet in JFK last month and I don't have a Drivers License that is good for renting a car. What is you location I am going to be in Sosua?
John

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
John, I've seen pots big enough to do this (usually a roadside colmado that sells fried chicken) so don't think you'll have a hard time finding someone with a pot and gas to do this for you. Have been feasting on dft for over 5yrs here in PA. Peanut oil is head and shoulders above lard for this. My favorite "low-cal" recipe is a good injection of butter before cooking. YUUUUUMMMMMI!!!

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
Randy
Do you add garlic to your butter before injections. On our ship I just use pineapple juice and garlic. I wind up haveing to use canola oil on the ship but when I can get it I use peanut oil.
John

Jimmyrisas

Nov 23, 2003
Happy Thanksgivings from The Persian Gulf

Hello everyone

Hope you will have a Happy Thanksgiving Day.

Here onboard USS Peleliu (LHA-5) will have a feast. At least we will try to feel like one at home.

Take care,

Juan

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
Jimmy

Bud keep year head down. I just came from there in june. I am due back in July. Happy thanksgiving.
Your shipmate
John USS Grapple(ARS-53)

Jimmyrisas

Nov 23, 2003
Back home in April

Thanks jsizemore for the moral support.

Hopefully in April we will be back in San Diego.

I will go to Santiago in May.

Can you learn how to deepfried a Chivo?

So we alll share.....

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
Jsizemore- no just butter, however my wife likes the idea of pineapple juice, said the enzymes in it act as a tenderizer. Will give that a try next time. Report back on your trip!!

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
pineapple juice

Randy
That?s why I like pineapple juice the acid eats at the cell structure just like orange juice or lemon juice but it is a sweeter acid and actually adds to the caramelizing of the outside as it fries. The cooked Pineapple actually gives it a sugar-cured flavor.
Did I mention I actually like my Job.
John