recognition of Dominican Republic divorce by Finland

Hammershoi

Nov 26, 2003
I am a US citizen married to a UK citizen. I reside in New York, New York. I am divorcing my husband in the Dominican Republic.

My future partner is from Finland. Once I am divorced, I will marry my Finnish boyfriend in New York. New York recognizes Dominican Republic divorces.

We are interested in moving to Finland. Would the Dominican Republic divorce be recognized in Finland as valid based on the principle of comity?

Paulino

Jan 4, 2002
This forum deals with DOMINICAN legal issues, not Finnish ones. So if I were you I would not expect any serious answers to your question in here. You should try the Finnish embassy in Washington DC, or whatever.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Raises an Interesting Concept Though......

Fabio J. Guzman said:
Your question should be answered by a Finnish lawyer since recognition of a Dominican divorce in Finland depends exclusively on Finnish law.

You get divorced in the DR, move to the US (or you were already there) and then marry your USA sweetheart in New York.

Then the two of you move to Finland. Are you now married again to your original spouse and a bigamist? (Let's assume that Finland explicitly doesn't recognize DR divorces).

Hammershoi

Nov 26, 2003
Ricktoronto has exactly described my concern. If the divorce is not recognized in Finland, then I would be a bigamist should I live there.
Thank you for the other replies. I will try to contact Finnish legal sources.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
My bet

Is that they will respect the NY recognition of your dominican divorce...quickie or not..

HB