dominican sandwiches

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
Up here in Virginia I am trying to put together a mobile canteen to serve the shipyards. Every person that has ever been on a Med Cruise knows about the sandwhich shop in Toulone with the smashed sandwhiches. Nothine finer than a smahed sandwhish at 2am. The only other thng is road kill chicken in Naples. Well anyway I want to gao with a varied menu of sandwhiches and I have looke dat the Cuban sandwhiches. Are there any Smashed sandwiches polular in the D.R. Every time I am there I usually stick with regular dishes and don't bother with fast food.
Also if there are wher eon the North Coast or could I sample them? (read excuse for roadtrip).
John

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
thanks

Thanks Chari
You gave me a good place to start. After looking up the recipe for the water bread I see that it is a basic French bread with glaze egg added. Are the rolls hard crust or soft crust? The recipe looks to me that it would be a medium crust. If it needs to be hard I would need to spray water on the crsut every few minutes as it is baking. Next time my ship gets under way I could make some of the rolls and start perfecting the technique.
John

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
A su orden!

Pan de agua is medium crust, has to be eaten on the day, like baguette, which you could use as a substitute.

Chiri

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
Rolls

For my own operation I would make my own. Bread is bread is bread when it comes to making it. No one other more labor intensive than the other.
When it comes to food nothing is more insulting that to say oh this is ethnic food and then mix up the origins of the ingredients.
John

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
In that case, if you saw what is sometimes sold here as "baguette" it would make your toes curl. In some cases it is just a very long pan de agua.

Chiri