Iberostar Punta Cana

D

DebbieA

I am going to this resort at the end of July for 8 days. I have seen good and bad trip reports. Is there any "must do's" and any "do not do's" for this hotel? We are going with the all-inclusive and are a bit concerned about the food. It sounds real bad. Is there anything that was good to eat there? Any hely or coments would be greatly helpful. Thanks Debbie

P

Pam

We returned on May 15, from the Iberostar PC, and the food was a disappointment. We thought the best food was at the grill down by the beach. They made fish, chicken, pork, steak and beef that we could recognize, and wasn't in a sauce. You tell them what you want and they grill it as you wait. They put oil and minced garlic on everything, but if you don't want it, just tell them to leave it off. Communicating was a bit tough - when we asked what something was, naming different things, the cook would say yes to everything.....one thing we asked about was fish, chicken, and beef. It turned out to be fish, and was very good. You have to make reservations for the grill, as with the other restaurants, between 9 and 11 of the day you want to eat there. The grill seemed to have the food that was most recognizable to us, but we didn't discover it until Thursday. Other families that were there discovered it earlier and ate there every night. We were able to find something to eat at the buffet, and didn't go hungry, but wished we had discovered the grill sooner. Good luck and have a great time.

M

Mike

pam besides the food, what was this resort like? were the rooms spacious&clean? was the staff helpful,how was the beach and water? how was the nightly entertainment? i have so many questions; we are going to the iberostar in feb. 2000 for two weeks, are we going to the right resort?any information would be appreciated. mike from wisconsin

P

Pam

Mike, The rooms were large and clean. Ours had a king size bed, loveseat, coffee table, balcony, an armoire with the tv and mini-fridge in it, a long dressing table, a dresser type piece of furniture with 2 drawers, and a large closet with shelves and hanging space. The safe was on one of the shelves ($2.00 a day extra but worth it in my mind). Also a ceiling fan. We had two power outages when we were there, and EVERYTHING shuts down. The entertainment was ok...there were different things going on at two separate areas. One was a show-type at the Dominicana lobby bar, and the other was local type groups or entertainers with music and singing at the Punta Cana lobby bar. The bartenders were great...one tip and they remembered you and what you drank. The staff was helpful when we needed it (our flight home was delayed almost 3 hours and Raphael helped get us something to eat since we had all checked out. The bad part was that men cannot go into the dining areas (except the grill) with shorts on, and many had shorts on for the flight home. We finally got them to allow the men in, but they had to go at 6:15 p.m. and be out by 6:30 p.m., before the other guests--better than nothing). Personally, I don't know if I would want to be there for 2 weeks, only because the food got monotonous. The beach was beautiful and the water warm. The pool was also beautiful. We had 3 1/2 days of rain and clouds, but still managed to get tan. When you go, remember to take large glasses or insulated mugs of some sort. The largest glass they had for drinking was a juice glass. I took insulated coffee mugs and kept water in them while at the beach and pool, and many people remarked that they wished they had. I also drank only bottled water, even used it for brushing teeth and rinsing toothbrush. If you have any more questions, you can email me. You should also check out Debbie's Dominican Page if you haven't at www.computan.on.ca/~pdowney/links.html That's where I got the tip about the mugs, and she has reviews about all the hotels. Pam