Street Dogs In Dominican Republic

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
Is hard to see how many street dogs (Perros Viralatas) in Dominican Rep.

There a goverment department working in that ?

I heard about "Sanidad" times ago is that still working?

Is hard to see all thats dog that are in Cabarete beach and the Colonial zone.

There a program in the Dominican Rep. about doing
neutering dogs ?

Are they causing diseaces ?

I will apreciated your answer,

Homer Simpson
peace

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I doubt there is any government program for street dogs since there are none for the poor people. But in various communities there are small groups of people who try to find homes for some of the street dogs and who raise money for neutering. Doesn't come close to meeting the need, however.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
there have been off andon attempts

But I do not believe that there is a government team or office that supervises this aspect of our dailylives. A good friend of DR1 reported that in Puerto Plata, the sanitation folks routinely put out food laced with poison for the street dogs. There was a program sponsored by our friend Sofy'sB&B, that tried to neuter or spey(sp?) street dogs, but there was not enough public awareness or cooperation to keep it up...

Remember, that Dominican do not regard dogs as do European or Americans. They have their place, but it is not in the heart....

HB

GringoDiablo

Nov 8, 2003
The dogs days are numbered. When I retire here taking care of ALL street dogs will be my full time hobby untill the job is done. A nice man in an unmarked truck will come around nightly to feed the doggies, they will never be seen again!

ecarignan

Jan 9, 2003
www.commtech.ca
Now, that's mean! Think of all the vacations kids that play with the beach dogs all day. My daughter enjoys the dogs while we have a drink at night at Cabarete Beach. I have to agree that it's getting out of control though.

Dogs

I know I would not let my daughter play with the dogs on the beach at Cabarete, most had open sores and were covered with scabbies. No one knows what diseases they could be carrying, it is time that something was done about them.

They are an absolute pain, trying walking the beach and hope you don't step in a fresh dog pile. Very few who walk their dogs do the poop and scoop routine as Peter does every day for his animals. I saw an older German lady who walked her dog every day, never picked up after it, poor thing (the dog) was covered with mange.

Euthanasia is the answer.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I really agree with Wud!

I would never let my kids or grandkids play with beach dogs. REMEMBER: WE HAVE RABIES on this island! it is one of the few places in the Western Hemisphere where you can see himan rabies....Not Pretty!

Solution? Far in the future. But for now Wud's will have to do..

HB

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
A STREET DOG AFTER DIGGING

Dogs is DR are digging in the garbage tank eating every single disease and then most tourist touching the and playing is a normal dog.

is impossible to have a quiet dinner at beach with all thats dogs.

I'm completly agree about a nice poisioned dinner for dogs.

HS

Last edited:

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Cabarete Beach Dogs!

Don't get me started!!!! It's a crappy subject!
They're filthy, diseased, a nuisance, they chase and bite joggers and kids, they annoy tourists and they crap everywhere!
Ask yourself where surf worms come from?
Last year they poisoned them - this year? Nada.
They are unhygienic around the dining tables on the beach at night and if there is ever a bitch on heat around then look out for the evening entertainment!! (Doggy fashion)!!
Local restauranteers approached the police recently but they will not deal with the problem unfortunately.
Peter and his two controlled dogs.

Gordo

Mar 16, 2003
Rabies!

Hillbilly hit the nail on the head. Rabies is way too dangerous to take chances with.

A few years back we didn't pay much attention to the mangy dogs roaming around. They seemed so lethargic that we didn't consider them to be a threat.

Our attitude changed after talking to a nurse when receiving some shots prior to traveling two years ago. She said if you are ever bitten by a dog or monkey, take the first plane back to Canada to get the rabies vaccine. By not doing so you are risking your life! The rabies vaccine is impossible to get in a lot of countries and where you can get it, it will cost a small fortune if you are not covered.

Now when taking romantic walks on the beautiful DR beaches, we cut a wide swath around the canines.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
I've noticed here in Zona Colonial that in the last few months there are alot of the street dogs missing. I'm sure they are being posioned and put out of their misery.
Some of those dogs have such great eyes..takes everything in me..a dog lover..not to pet them. But I know better. I just look at their eyes and it makes me sad. Their eyes are asking to be pet, to be loved, and yet you can't do anything but maybe throw them a scrap or put them out of thier misery.
My dog doesn't have eyes and I miss seeing her eyes. I will never let her eat any food laying in the street for fear of poision in it.
It hurts to see these dogs, they arn't bad dogs. Just bad people let these dogs go without attention. So in my opinion these dogs need to be put out of their misery. Too bad you can't make the people that let their dogs have puppiies every time they come into heat pay a penalty for their negligence.
My opinion..we humans are put here to be above the animals. Not to abuse them or to neglect them, but to use them for food or companionship. To respect . Its not the dogs fault they are sick and on the street. Its human neglegance that makes htese animals what they are.
I think it would be great to have a shelter for the street animals but reality says that here there is more human need and the dogs come in last place. For a person that mostly loves animals more than humans thats not an easy statment. But these dogs need to be put out of their miisery and sometimes poision is the only way to do it here.
Most street dogs that come after me and Sniffy , if you stamp your foot they go away. But some have come after me protecting my dog from them. I took a few torn pants protecting my blind dog.
Funny how if you let it, a dog can become so important to you...Breaks my heart to see some of these dogs in the street. But what can you do?
Love my blind dog Sniffy!!!

gjsuk

Apr 7, 2003
Jeez all this moanin and bitchin (pun intended!)

I just wonder how many of you are prepared to actually DO something about the issue instead of just sitting on your arses at your keyboards

Maybe putting your hand in your pocket and making a donation or volunteering some of your precious time .

I'm sure "Asociacion de amigos por los animales de Sosua" will be delighted to hear from you all.

They have a reasonably good program to help with this issue but need funds and volunteers.

Contact Judy on 571-1167 (Judy's pet lodge)or email her at notparadise@hotmail.com to find out how you can actually help

I'm sure she'll be delighted at your philanthropy but I'm not holding my breath.

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
Volunteer

Well,

I guess "Asociacion de amigos por lo animales" and " Judy's pet lodge" they will move those dogs from the neighbourhood too.
if she wants volunteers I don't know not body in POP but I can contact some guys but the problem is where are they go to sleep
and eat, are they going to have any protection to don't get bite from the dogs.

They will go to POP and make help but what about the rest of POP
and SDQ, people is easy to find for example doing a program saturday in the morning just visit house and tell people about anti rabies program and "Battle Dogs" well how ever is better for
them.

At school just get a permit from the minister of school and the guys who are in highschool can volunteer too as part of the Social Labour by Ministery of Education law.

HS

BootyRaven69

Nov 30, 2017
Someone should euthanize you, It's funny how all they want to do is eat and get water which is the exact same thing YOU need yet you think they should be euthanized because they annoy you. You seem like a complete piece of garbage and if I knew you in person and you said that that would honestly be the last thing you ever said in your life lol

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Someone should euthanize you, It's funny how all they want to do is eat and get water which is the exact same thing YOU need yet you think they should be euthanized because they annoy you. You seem like a complete piece of garbage and if I knew you in person and you said that that would honestly be the last thing you ever said in your life lol

Interesting first post. Welcome to DR1, for as long as you last, booty Raven 69.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete

The thread is 14 years old(?).

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
Since we are on the subject, my son almost lost an eye to a beach dog when he was about 3 yrs. old. If I had my way they'd all be put under. And when they are in packs they are dangerous.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
My first encounter with beach dogs was while camping at la ensenada, back when it was a nice quiet beach, like 10 years ago.
In the middle of the night I hear growling and screeching, etc......

I was in hamock with the wifey, while the rest of the in-laws were in a tent on the ground.
I half got out-half fell out - of the hamock, managing not to shoot my balls off in the process ( quite a feat as it was probably the 4th time ever i was carrying a gun ------ I, thankfuly, come from a place where we dont go around shooting each other ;) ;)  ), but losing the flashlight in the process :/ :/.

So I grab the next best thing- a flaming branch from the fire-  and head off to invistigate.
Against the protests of in-laws, whom, like any respectable dominican, still believe that " if u cant see itit cant see u ".........

Now, ladies and gentlemen, only in hollywood films does a flaming branch works as well as a 450 lumen flashlight. In real life it doesnt help you see sh.it.
I kind of see a haze of a human like shadow trying to climb up a tree and a pack of a dozen mangy dogs pulling him back down......
Holy balony !!!!
By this time my better half has found the flashlight, and a machete ( which, as an afterthought is much more useful than a gun and a flaming branch---- too many video games dispatches one from real life situations ) and we discover it is actually a donkey getting mauled by the dogs !!!!!!
The dogs were carving steaks out of him !!!

We shout and holler and the dogs scatter........ the donkey wasnt able to flee or defend himself effectivly, because he was tied up to said tree :( :(

P.S. It didnt make me want to kill all beach dogs......just saying :) :)