Museum of the Dominican Man

hpbob

Feb 2, 2003
I just got back from a one-week stay in Santo Domingo and want to recommend the Museo del Hombre Dominicano or Museum of the Dominican Man. It is located within Plaza de la Cultura (Cultural Plaza) and it is the best among several museums in the Plaza. The location centers around Maximo Gomez Ave., Bolivar, and Cesar Nicolas Penson Sts. Visiting this museum was the highlight of the trip for me. I would recommend asking one of the guides to take you on a tour if you don't read Spanish.

Last edited:

EFR

Dec 30, 2003
Railings on ramps at museum

Yes, I agree, that the museum is a good place to visit. One caution, however, if you are there with small children. The railings on the ramps in the middle of the museum only have the top rail. It seems to be a design out of the 1960's and does not provide any protection. A small child could easily fall about 30 feet.

Of course, whenever traveling, it is a good idea to watch out for this type of unexpected threat to your safety. BTW, all the museums at the plaza have little cafeterias with delicious juices.