Tour Guide Of Washington-Dominican Heights/Inwood (For My English Final Presentation)

Chopical

Jul 6, 2003
Preliminary Outline

This paper will be a travel guide for tourists, out of towners, residents of Washington Heights, and Locals. In it I will discuss the major parks, gardens, major tourist attractions, museums, and the conjecturing bridges along with various restaurants, cafes, different types of night clubs. I will also discuss what the area is like today. Washing heights and Inwoold along with the rest of Uptown/Northern Manhattan is rich in history. It?s a warm, welcoming, loving community. Washington Heights is known as The Home Of The Haze, Inwood Is Known as The Home Of The Beautiful People, and Harlem is Known As The Home Of The Hustle. There is also Hudson Heights, which is infact part of Washington Heights but was renamed for gentrification purposes. There have been shows about Washington Heights, one in particular is 100CentreStree which would air Sundays on A&E. There was even a movie titled ?Washington Heights.? In recent years Washington heights has been on mainstream news because of the plane crash of November 11, 2001 and the Water Main Break which flooded Washington Heights on October 16, 2003. In my report I will briefly discuss all of the above issues to give tourists a better idea of the community.

Title Outline

My paper will be a travel guide around uptown/northern Manhattan.
The Purpose is to help tourists and out of towners figure out just which place is perfect for them to visit. For locals figure out which place would be best for them to frequent and for parties (groups of people) to plan functions at a location, which will satisfy everyone?s desires.
The method is more informative that persuasive.
It will inform the reader of all the different places that s/he could visit along with providing insight on my personal favorites.
It is limited to Washington Heights and Inwood.

1-Washington Heights And Inwood During The day:

A-Parks:
1-Bennett Park,
2-Isham Park,
3-Highbridge Park,
4-Washington Park,
5-Inwood Hill Park
6- Bald Eagles In Inwood Hill Park.
7-Fort Tryon Park

B-Gardens:
1-Fort Tryon Heather Garden
2-Hudson View Garden.

C- The Biggest Tourist Attractions:
1- Fort Tryon Park, -http://www.hhoc.org/fftp/events.html#A (DR-Page 10)
2-The Cloisters,
3-Pumpkin House,
4-Castle Village,
5-Audubon Terrace
6-Historic District,
7-New York Road Runners Club,
8-The Armory,
9-Home of the U.S. Track and Field Hall of Fame,
10-The Bailey Residence,
11-Baker Field Stadium

D-Museums in Washington Heights and Inwood:

1-Dykman Farmhouse Museum
2-Museum of the American Indian.
3-The Cloisters Museum

E-The Famous Bridges In Washington Heights and Inwood are:
1-George Washington Bridge Bus Station
2-Henry Hudson Bridge.

Washington Heights And Inwood During The Night

The body of my report will cover Night Clubs in Washington Heights And Inwood along with a few other night clubs and restaurants that are worth mentioning. I will discuss

A-Restaurants with drinks, dancing:

1-Allegro's Caf?
2-ArkaLounge
3-Republik
4-Umbrella
5-Mirage

B-Food and Dancing
1- Caf? Largo

C-Restaurant And Bar:
1- coogans bar & restaurant
2-Greenwich Village
3-- Mediterranian Cafe

D-Restaurant, Bar, and Nightclub:
1-DR-K

F-Fast Food:
2-The Quipe Cart

G-Night Clubs:
3-The Bank

H-Others that I will Cover:

1-Cabrini
2-Caramines
3-Club Babaloos
4-D'Kalaf Cafe Concierto
5-Jubele,
6-Jubilee
7-Hispanola
8-Largo
9-Rancho Jubilee

Some others which I may discuss are Caba?a Salvadore?a Caf? Capo Verde, Coogan?s, Emilou, Hoppin? Jalapenos Bar & Grill, Jesse?s Place, Jugos Naturales Estilo DomiMex, Kismat, Malec?n, Panda House, Peluche/Fritura truc, Presidente, Restaurant Caridad,Tubby Hook Caf?, New Leaf Caf?, Bleu Evolution, Juliana Marquez Restaurant, and Thalia. There will be many factors covered in this section such as food it service from the workers, the type of music, the dress code, customers, parking, area, etc.

The report would cover interesting places in uptown Manhattan during the day and the hot spots in uptown Manhattan at night along with historical museums and sights. Uptown has something to offer anyone and everyone. Washington Heights is said to be Manhattans best kept secret and its secrets will be uncovered in my report.

(((The Night Life section I was able to get some information on from this message board. In another post I will post it. I was able to get information on many factors such as food it service from the workers, the type of music, the dress code, customers, parking, area, etc. Please don't be upset that I used your posts to help me with my report I was hoping that I could recieve some more help on this.

The Tour Guide of Uptown Manhattan/Washington Heights/Inwood is for my Final In English. I'm really excited about it and been working extremely hard on it. I have a huge stack of papers on WH, and two loads of film on Tryon-I had gone there Thursday 12am-7am that windy day a few weeks back and again on this past Friday when it down poured. The rain was bad for me especially since I had mono-Infact I still do. So the exercise and everything was bad for my health but a great excuse to visit the community I love. While I was on 187, I post about my report and gave contact info but haven't heard back from anyone.

I had my pledges order the Washington Heights Movie but it hasn't come in yet. I'm planning on using that during my presentation and I plan on going to Walmart to get some of my pictures of Tryon Blown up to show the class.

Chopical

Jul 6, 2003
WHAT I HAVE SO FAR ON NIGHT LIFE:

General Dress Code:
I recall when I lived in NYC that some of the Dominican nightclubs in north Manhattan had a dress code -- usually jacket & tie required.--kEITHR

Not many people wear jacket and tie to ANYTHING in NYC any longer. Dont know the dress code but would think perhaps jacket-but would seriouslly doubt a tie.

(what restaurant)Honestly this is my favorite restaurant in NYC and since food is served Family Style with big groups makes it even better and funner. It is even reasonable in price folks.-Escott

DR-K - on Dykeman and Nagle. It's a restaurant/lounge/club .new lounge type of club across from CLUB MIRAGE in uptown. They play a nice mix of merengue, salsa and some spanish rock. The club is trendy and the crowd is mostly young and professional. Worth checking out even if just for dinner. (DRTenchi)

DR-K is stuffy with the type of girls that wont even dance with us. Mcinbrass (9)

DR-K dress code:

If you go to DRK on a Saturday night you will have to be dressed relatively well (no jeans or boots) slacks and shirt and tie should be worn the dress code was being enforced but there is no tie or jacket requirement

DR-K used to be called Republic-K but changed their name to D-R-K supposedly due to potential legal naming issues. The food is suppost to bepretty good. They serve little deep fried yucca, paella, our friends had the pernil. (???)

Republi-K
114 Dyckman Street (just off Nagle Avenue). Tel: (212) 304-1717. Brand-new Nuevo Latino restaurant just up the street. Chef Ricardo Cardona, who trained under Nuevo Latino kings Douglas Rodr?guez and Alex Garc?a serves langoustines with coconut and ginger, quail in cognac, squid and banana. For dessert: Caribbean cr?me br?l?e, Dominican sweet-corn custard. And the house drink specialty: pineapple mojitotinis. (CITATION THINGY: http://www.naborsapts.org/neighborh...estaurants.html)

DR-K: Alex Garcia arrested for drugs!!! I think he is the same chef that was on FoodTV with another guy showing a lot of Latino recipes, no? Wow. (Christmas, 5)

Club Babaloos - Times Square area...Big dance floor and awesome place to dance merengue, salsa and bachata. They have live bands on the weekends.

If you're looking for a genuine Dominican experience then I suggest you go to Mirage. I haven't been there in a while but I know it's a much more mature crowd and they play great music. Plus it's Washington Heights...doesn't get any more Dominican than that.
International, On Dykman-DRT

coogans bar& restaurant 168 street and Broadway pretty good crowd on Saturdays they have Kareoke and it is mostly dominicans in the place and no dress code. Wish I could change my plans attend and met most of you guys but have a great time wherever you guys end up meeting.-BP

Camellia's,

There's a number of excellent clubs in NY. Here's my list of places to go but you should also check out www.digitalcity.com for a complete list of all the nightspots in the city.

Caf? Largo--3387 Broadway. Food and dancing?ElTigre
Cafe Largo, which I found to be a nice - but be advised it's a dim, cozy, little place and the food is NOT dominican; nor is it located "exactly" in what is considered the "Heights." ?Hormiga

?Allegro's Cafe - Sherman Ave serve food, drinks & have dance floors.--ElTigre
D'Kalaf Cafe Concierto - 10th ave. & 204 serve food, drinks & have dance floors.--Eltigre
Arka Lounge - Bway & 192 serve food, drinks & have dance floors.?Eltigre

Republik - 207th street serve food, drinks & have dance floors.?ElTigre

The Republika and the Umbrella or whatever are also supposed to be nice but haven't been there yet. Parking is a b------. I would recommend the parking garages on Broadway by 180th. The valet parking is about twice as expensive. --TomF

Umbrella - I forget the cross streets but I believe it's on 10th Ave and 190 something street serve food, drinks & have dance floors.--ElTigre

Jubilee is that it's quite far, it's basically at the LaGuardia airport in Queens and is nice.

I went to "Jubilee" once and was not impressed but the one in Queens is suppose to be different than the one in Washington Heights.

There is also Mirage and International located on Dyckman.

Don Pedro on the UES. Don Pedro's Restaurant
1865 Second Ave. 212-996-3274

2nd AVe and 96 street

http://www.donpedros.net/

Carmines Restaurant sounds good but is not Dominican if that's what you are looking for.?(?)

Carmines is very busy and we will have to make the reservations with exact numbers about a week before.-- Larry (I love DR)

Jubele, just off broadway at 195th St. Can't get more dominicano than this. This place is just like back home. The decor includes things like platano trees, the rest rooms are like letrinas, etc. But the best feature, (Zues, 10)

Mirage restaurant. On Dykman That's a descent place. Many fights break out there though. Last time I went there I had to hide under the table because of all the beer bottles that were flying past my head.-- El Tigre (10)

I?m also not a big fan of Mirage. I went there a few months back and I was not impressed at all. The food is not that great and over priced. I even chipped a tooth eating their mofongo.-DRTechie (10)

Mirage has great music and lots of chicas. Mirage is the deal for Dominican experience. Upstairs downstairs whatever. Mcinbrass (9)

There's a number of excellent clubs in NY. Here's my list of places to go but you should also check out www.digitalcity.com for a complete list of all the nightspots in the city.

(WHAT RESTAURANT)
The main reason is parking is impossible and everyone will have to pay 20 dollars just to put their cars in parking lots with manhattan attendants who frequently return your car with more marks and scratches than you had before. -Larry (I love DR)

Hispanola,
DannyW talked about Hispanola on 181st. and Cabrini. TommyF pointed out that La Hispanola doesn??t really Dominican type food, more gourmet. So since it doesn't sound like what people are requesting, I'm not sure if anyone wants to eliminate that from the current long list of choices. (CHOPS-RECAP)

Hispanola on 181st. and Cabrini is the best restaurant uptown. The same family owns Arka and Jubilee. Gourmet food, Dominican plus. There's even a private room that might be available. A little pricey, but great. Jubilee is really cool as well - more casual and great vibe, the best of NY Dominicano. Both are a short walk to Arka, which has dancing. ? D (Page 3 CHOPS-RECAP)

La Hispanola has the best food but it's not really Dominican type food. It's gourmet. The owners are good friends of my wife's family. We have a lot of get togethers at la Arca. --TomF

There's a slamming indian food place (W. side of Ft. Washington Ave btwn 187/188 Sts), a little Greenwich Village-like trendy restaurant/bar (187th St btwn Ft. Washington & Pinehurst Aves).?Hormiga

A nice little mediterranean cafe/restaurant/bar (S.E. corner of 181st St & Pinehurst) parking will be a problem here. --Hormiga

For authentic fast-food type fare, the "quipe" cart on the S.E. corner of 186th St and St.Nicholas Ave - these mamasitas have more to offer than just quipes too! ?Hormiga

"The Bank" is a club. Not latin music though----Hormiga

Please do not be offended that I using your posts to help me catagorize the restaurants and help me with my report. When I picked it as a topic I reliezed that I already had information and a great resource (you) at my finger tips.
I'm had been thinking I may just cut out "NIGHT LIFE" but then all the searches and organizing would have been for nothing.

Anyways if anyoen could add anything to my report I'd really appriciate it. Anything to day time or night time.

Indie

Bronze
Nov 15, 2002
Ay Dios Mio...

1-Washington Heights And Inwood During The day:
A-Parks:
1-Bennett Park,
2-Isham Park,
3-Highbridge Park,
4-Washington Park,
5-Inwood Hill Park
6- Bald Eagles In Inwood Hill Park.
7-Fort Tryon Park
You forgot Riverside Drive Park, Riverbank Park, J. Hood Wright Park, and Cabrini Park.

In your report, Chopical, will you also include historical and cultural information about the very large Dominican community which is predominant in Washington Heights and Inwood? Do you read Spanish books? If yes and yes, an EXCELLENT book for you to read or use as a guide for your presentation is El Furioso Merengue del Norte: Una Historia de la Comunidad Dominicana en los Estados Unidos by Francisco Rodriguez de Leon. The author, one of my former professors, is an expert on the subject. Caliope bookstore in Inwood has it. Otherwise, the Silvio Torres-Saillant book johne mentioned in another thread is good too.

-Indie

P.S. I really want you to do well on your report. Send me a PM if you need any additional help. Good luck!

Last edited:

Chopical

Jul 6, 2003
Thanks maybe I'll add Jew-or Jhood Park :p

I know about those parks but I didn't want to kill it with all the parks. I was putting in information and leaving out some. I'm thinking this way I could have a couple lines on everything and not just have a few with lots of information. Don't know if that's how it's suppost to be done, but that's how I'm doiing mine for now.