View Poll Results: Are we at rock bottom or do we have a ways to go yet?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rock bottom?

0 0%
  • Nowhere's near it?

21 40.38%
  • Could get a little worse?

29 55.77%
  • What, me worry?

2 3.85%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A poll of sorts

Post Thanks / Like

Default A poll of sorts

Do you think that the DR economy has hit bottom or are we still in fro some more of the terrible doo=doo that this gubmint is handin' out? Y'all know? Devaluation and more taxes and stuff..

Lemme know for a purty gal I know that want to know....

Thanks all y'all...

HB

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Would like to think we were at rock bottom, but this government has not demonstrated the will nor the intellect to put the brakes on. Being hopeful, I voted that things could get a little worse, but fear they could get much worse.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Each day I find myself "Daydreaming" about a life in the USA!

Not because I find things difficult here,but because I see less and less of a future for our 4 small children! I never used to think like that!
    Cris Colon

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Cris, I agree with you. I'm beginning to see less and less of a future in the short term (5 to 10 years). In the long run the country will survive but not without lots of grief and misery in the meantime. Anybody want to buy a hotel? I'm 60 now and my wife and I would like to live the rest of our lives in a relatively stable environment.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we're not quite at rock bottom yet. There is a ways to go -and it could get a lot worse. But, the IMF refused the bail-out/bridging loan, so, I would speculate that Hippo is quite close to rock-bottom. Now, how long will that take to trickle down?

But unlike my friend Criss, I'm not dreaming about the U.S. (or for that matter, South Africa) yet. The glass is always half-full, not half-empty. Think about it Criss, you can always home-school.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I voted...

I voted for Nowhere near it, but I pray that I am wrong. I think the reason I asked HB to post that poll is because I was curious as to how many other people agreed with me, I have talked to many that are confident this is the worst it can get. I hope that they are right.... you know that saying "nowhere left to go but up frome here" I would love for that to be the saying in this case.

GG

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Notice I didn't mention "education",but "Future"!

I have always looked at "Formal Education" (even in the USA) as a "Socialization Process",rather than an educative one! Parents "teach" kids to love to read,and solve problems,and travel.
    After "School" then what? Government,healthcare,Law,teaching??See what I mean? CC

"GG",are you talking to Dominicans? They are "Optomists" if nothing else! There is NO reason to be optomistic at this point!That is just wishful thinking! Has the peso stabalized,has the government stopped spending? Point to "something" that bodes a better future!
    Last edited by Criss Colon; 12-01-2003 at 04:48 PM.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

You can never pick the bottom of the market.. The other week when "we are waiting for the boat to arrive in 2 weeks with additional fuel, and the country only has enough until Friday" the electricity suddenly started working again pretty much the way it used to a few months before.

I'm not saying things will suddenly get better. But they might start heading in the right direction before you realise it.

Don't always be looking down, otherwise you'll miss some big opportunities as things start improving. Which WILL happen sooner or later.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Notice I didn't mention "education",but "Future"!

Originally posted by Criss Colon
    After "School" then what? Government,healthcare,Law,teaching??See what I mean? CC
    Yes, I see what you mean. My kids grew up in South Africa and I also was concerned about their 'future' - coming from such a small and isolated problematic place. Hell, I could not even speak english till I was 20.

The one is here in the DR with me, helping to run a distribution and export business, and and the other decided to self-educate and is doing really well in his field - He lives in the US. Kids will decide for themselves. I believe if the basic care at home and basic education and socialization is right (and this is in my opinion the responsibility of the parents), then the kids will be OK.

And we have a long way to go on this island - luckily we did not choose Haiti - then we'd have problems.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Tough to change a culture

I don't think it's hit bottom, but I don't see it getting as bad as Argentina did either. I don't KNOW this, it's just my hunch, my feel, my deepest hope.

Common sense would be to hit the road and high tail it out of here. I see more people leaving every day that can, and no new people coming in. My school alone has lost at least a dozen students and faculty since June, with 3 more very dear ones leaving after the beginning of the year. My best friends are leaving as well.

I was thinking how CC keeps posting about buying pesos and I thought to myself, "hey self, what will he be thinking in a year from now if it's at 70-1".

Then I noticed today he's buying US$ at 42. So even the funny ones don't know, and perhaps looking to leave also? If the unthinkable happens in May, I'm leaving - from the North Coast mind you.

My greatest hope is that someone (the next government) will take up their boots and invest in education and hold on for dear life. It would certainly turn out some value in "capital investment" more than investing in power companies.

They may get grilled and have to endure some harsh, and perhaps violent criticism from those that have to work really hard and suffer to make its return felt, but in a decade that "someone" will be on the level of a national (and perhaps international) hero.

My skin crawls to hear people (some close to me) call Dominicans stupid, I really despise that word. Ignorant to levels beyond comprehension yes, but stupid? No, hardly.

However, getting back to apathy, the general population just doesn't give a **** about anything but beer, baseball and bitching.

I think I'm now officially 2/3's Dominican.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast