Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: driving from Punta Cana to Samana...

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default driving from Punta Cana to Samana...

My beloved wife and myself will be spending 10 days in DR (3 days SD area, 2 days LA ROMANA, one day in PUNTA CANA and... another couple days in SAMANA).

How do we get (by car) from PUNTA CANA to SAMANA?
    Is there a way w/o going thru SD?

Thx!

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Quick answers

1. Through Sando Domingo then north via Santiago way.

2. Not really.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Quick answers

Originally posted by ricktoronto
    1. Through Sando Domingo then north via Santiago way.

2. Not really.
    Honestly, I was hoping there's a way shorting the path thru Higuey->Hato Mayor->Sabana de la Mar...
    ...or Hato Mayor->Monte Plata->Sabana Grande de Boyo->Villa Riva

I know these are side roads (maybe in poor condition) but if they cut my trip by a couple hours it'd be worth to try.

How long is the drive thru SD? (8-9 hrs?) - considering I am a pretty good driver, used to similar (Eastern European) driving

Thx!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Right now there is no shorter way. The short way you envisage does not show the true picture. The side roads will not save you any time, they will cost you time or more, even for a "pretty good driver". Side roads in the D.R. are in some cases paper roads or nothing more than glorified cow paths, poorly marked if marked at all and hazardous, especially at night. The tried and true overland route from P.C. to Samana is Santo Domingo-Santiago-Puerto Plata-Samana. Of course there are other routes from S.D. that may be capable of use through Cotui or S.F. de Macoris. However, because of the recent flood disasters they may not be servicable. Best to stick to the main well traveled roads. Travel time will be 8 hours from S.D. I reckon someone who has traveled recently in the area can update road conditions. An advance welcome to the D.R. and happy motoring. Regards, PJT

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info PJT!

It looks like I'll have to do the trip in two days... stoping along the way and visiting.

How risky would be to make no arrangements regarding the HOTELS/lodging for two-three consecutive days in different cities/resorts?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default SD to SAMANA

Just got back from DR . I did drive from SD to Samana last Friday.
    Noproblems as far as the roads. You do have to go SD-San Francisco-Nagua-Sanchez-Samana. Itwas okay driving,it took 4 1/2 hours. You gotta stop for a few Cervezas on the way. We got stopped by the local Mafioso police and paid 300 pesos for who knows what.We picked up a couple hitchhikers who were friendly.
    We cotinued on to LasGaleras (1/2 hour ) past Samana. It was well worth it.Stayed at El Martinque Hotel-$30-40-Nice and comfortable,Excellent Food. Theydo have other hotels,but I thought this one was perfect for the surroundings.Go to Playa Rincon.The beach is unbelievable. There are a handful of natives on the beach at one end, smile and be friendly to them Then walk up that hill to the house they own and see one the most beautiful sights in all of the DR.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

That's very usefull info Andres! Thanks!

I don't have a very good map here, but I can only assume that you have left SANTIAGO WAY (1) steering East at Santiago!
    The map shows a shorter possibility by getting off at La Vega...
    (I'm gonna go get a better map today!)

I heard/read beautifull things about Playa Rincon so we'll be there...

Do you think we'll be ok w/ finding hotels w/o previous arrangements? Can we just drive in and ask arround the locals for a place to stay?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Shony

There is no need to go thru Santiago in order to reach Samana!!!

I work part time in the Punta Cana area and I also have some land in Samana, so I have made this trip several times.

What I recommend is to leave Punta Cana-Bavaro and head west towards Santo Domingo. In Santo Domingo stay on JFK avenue and this will take you straight to Autopista Duarte. This should take you between 3-3.5 hours if you leave early in the morning.

Take Autopista Duarte straight and a couple of Km before La Vega (there is a Texaco gas station) you'll see the entrance to San Francisco de Macoris. Cross SFM and head east towards Pimentel and then Nagua. From Nagua its a straight road to Samana. This part should take you another3.5 hours. Count on it to be a 7-8 hour trip at the least.

Good Luck!!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Shony

Originally posted by samiam
    There is no need to go thru Santiago in order to reach Samana!!!
    Take Autopista Duarte straight and a couple of Km before La Vega (there is a Texaco gas station) you'll see the entrance to San Francisco de Macoris. Cross SFM and head east towards Pimentel and then Nagua. From Nagua its a straight road to Samana. This part should take you another3.5 hours. Count on it to be a 7-8 hour trip at the least.

Good Luck!!
    GREAT!

I'm looking at the map... so, after SFdeM going towards Pimentel (but not thru) then Castillo - El Factor - NAGUA, right?

Looks pretty smooth...

THANKS A LOT FOR THE INFO!

Any input on finding lodging/hotel w/o prearrangements?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Right. Once you leave SFM, on that road you'll pass the entrance/exit of Pimentel with out having to go thru it. Keep on trucking 'till you get to Nagua then the sea should be on your left. When you get to Sanchez, the bay of Samana will be shortly on your right hand side.

There is another route thru Piedra Blanca where you save some 20-30 min., but its a bit more complicated and I dont think its worth the risk of getting lost. So forget I even mentioned it.

Finding accomodations might be complicated depending on the season.
    Also, where in Samana are you planning to stay. Las Terrenas, Las Galeras, Samana City?
    I might recommend Club Bonito in Las Galeras or the rooms above the only restaurant/deli they have in the plaza Lucitania. Go into the restaurant and ask is what I did.
    Costa Las Ballenas or Hotel Atlantis in Las Terrenas are my favorite.
    Good Luck

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast