question? when arriving in the dr, do we have to get on the bus?

kunky

Oct 6, 2003
when i get off the plane in march, do i have to get on the bus, or can i find my own way to the hotel? i know you can find your own way to the airport on the way home, but im wondering this as i know the tour bus people have our names on a list. thanks. cheri

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
If you are coming with a tour group, there is likely to be a bus waiting for you at the airport. You don't have to get on the bus because you can always take a taxi to your hotel, but of course you should advise your tour rep.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
What hotel? What place?

As I have already said, you are better off asking these question closer to your travel dates. Things change here, sometimes fast!

Whatever we tell you now, you may forget or be 100% useless information by March 2004.

And before you ask. No, I have no idea what the exchange rate will be when your here on vacation :)

kunky

Oct 6, 2003
well one thing ive realized and quick i might add, is dont ask anything at all. im better off waiting it out, i wont ask about exchange rates, as i take american money and pay with it too.
i just wanted to know if im with a hotel/resort, and paying all "inclusive" do i have to be on that bus or can i show up on my own. 1 question, 1 answer would have been fine. no wonder i dont like to post anymore, and as for i must really like this forum, well, since i love the dr, and i do travel there, i though it would be awesome to maybe meet some of these people eventually. as of right now, pretty much most of the people are rude!!!! and ive changed my mind.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
YOU DON'T HAVE TO TAKE THE BUS. I've gone to numerous all-inclusives and arrived by bus, taxi,moto, private car and on foot. Some people are rude, because it is obvious that you don't put a lot of forethought or research in before you ask questions. The archives are there for a reason and are east to use. You use the shotgun approach for asking questions. But then some people are just rude because they like to be.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
The Travel Agent is a Good Resource

kunky said:
i do travel there, i though it would be awesome to maybe meet some of these people eventually. as of right now, pretty much most of the people are rude!!!! and ive changed my mind.

Usually there is at least a brochure from the vacation co. ( I am 99% sure you're doing the AI route) and on arrival they herd you like goats with the aim of ensuring all draftees get on the right bus and on the way. That way you quickly get to the AI to stand in line longer than if you arrived in dribs and drabs.

If you are on a package you must be using a travel agent - did you ask them anything? They will have heard this question and know the answer as a result, 1,000's of times.

If money is not a big deal, I recommend you tell someone on the flight/going to the same joint that you are going directly so they don't wait for you to get on the bus, (or tell the lady holding up the tour company sign- and there will be a lady doing that I assure you) and take a taxi the minute you clear customs and beat the crowd.

The hotel will have many many many different tour company patrons arriving at various times and as such they don't need a gaggle of you at once so spring for the cab and get ahead of the other sheep.

Eventually aim to skip the dreadful AI's totally and get a hotel and live it up outside the walls.

NB: And day or night the taxi guy won't molest you .

Question, if you've travelled there before haven't you done this before?

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
Robert said:
What hotel? What place?

As I have already said, you are better off asking these question closer to your travel dates. Things change here, sometimes fast!

You don't have to take the bus, and I can't imagine why you ever would have to take the bus.
You get your hotel voucher along with your tickets so you are all set.

Why wouldn't you want to take the bus?

The Airport taxis are a ripoff just like the resort taxis.
Usually you will receive an information package that could be quite useful.

I usually arrange a normal taxi when leaving because it is very cheap and it allows me a couple of extra hours of sleep, and I avoid the rush.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Take the bus the resort-tour company supplies for you. Then after you check in to the hotel. Stash you stuff in the room. Have a few free drinks. Then look for an escape. Why pay for the ride if its included in the package. Thats what your paying for. Take advantage of the free stuff. Get all organized then explore. Why complicate things?
If theres no bus at the airport then take a taxi and check in. Take it easy...your on vacation. Don't worry about the little stuff. All is fine..your on Dominican time.
Come to Zona Colonial and I'll show you around...let me know

flordeluz

Jan 10, 2003
You know I've been to many forums on the internet and none of them ever said "go search the archives" except this one, each of the others I found very helpful people. And as one of you said whatever he says now will not be useful by March 2004 so why search the archives? Does not make sense.

Plus if you want people to search the archives make them user friendly, easier to use, you can't do a search for the acronyms sometimes used here or anything less than 3 letters (I believe). Either that or creat a Frequently Asked questions so individuals don't have to ask you the same questions over and over that annoys you so to answer.

kunky

Oct 6, 2003
now thats more like it!!! ive got all the answers ive asked for, and then some. ive always gone on the bus, but, now that im tired of taking the bus(it seems as if we girls are always the last to get dropped off) i want to get to the resort quicker. money is no object, and mostly i was asking because i will try to arrange for my friend to pick us up instead. ill remember to let the lady or the bus driver know. thank you for the replies.

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Eventually aim to skip the dreadful AI's totally and get a hotel and live it up outside the walls.
FROM RICKTORONTO

That sound like a bit of a generalisation! Have you had a bad experience in one.
You can still thoroughly enjoy the dominican in an AI hotel, the staff are excellent in the hotels. There has not been anything 'dreadful' about the hotels i have stayed in (jack tar, villas doradas, flamenco, gran playa dorada). I always have stayed in AI's and then gone out to Sosua, Cabarete, Playa Grande and Puerta Plata if i wanted to. Its cheap enough so it doesnt matter that you are leaving your 'free' food and drink and paying out a few pesos.
Yes,Some people might feel confined in an AI hotel, but some people might not like the culture shock.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Yes, In Fact All of Them

tired_boy said:
FROM RICKTORONTO

That sound like a bit of a generalisation! Have you had a bad experience in one.
You can still thoroughly enjoy the dominican in an AI hotel, the staff are excellent in the hotels. There has not been anything 'dreadful' about the hotels i have stayed in (jack tar, villas doradas, flamenco, gran playa dorada). I always have stayed in AI's and then gone out to Sosua, Cabarete, Playa Grande and Puerta Plata if i wanted to. Its cheap enough so it doesnt matter that you are leaving your 'free' food and drink and paying out a few pesos.
Yes,Some people might feel confined in an AI hotel, but some people might not like the culture shock.

In both the Hamaca and a fancy-pants joint near Varadero Cuba were my only AI experiences, I say only because I wouldn't go back again or on a cruise at gunpoint. If I want to hang out with a bunch of Canadians drinking themselves sh&^%faced for free I can do that in Canada. Visiting a foreign country means visitng the place and the people and you cannot do then inside a compound.

AI's may as well all be in one unnamed country - doesn't matter since, once inside the joint, 99% don't venture outside so what difference does it make where it is?

"Culture" consists of being dragged around with groups of your neighbors to contrived activities that are designed to do the "if it's Tuesday this must be Belgium" type of tour and to get fleeced at rubbishy gift shops that sahre a commission with the drivers etc. Or ride gigantic trucks through mud bogs and then go drinking while all the time avoiding the people (with armed guards in the case of Cuba) who actually live there and are the reason to visit a foreign country.

If you don't like the culture shock stay home.

And Mr. Culture it is not "the dominican" at least call the country by its true name, Dominican Republic, la republica dominicana or "the DR".

Ignorance is bliss.

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
In response to the 'If you don't like the culture shock stay home.' comment -

I think you have not understood my comment! I love the 'Dominican Republic', myself and my partner were looking into moving there due to the culture. its the materialistic, wealth obsessed culture over HERE (england) that is overbearing (in my opinion).
If i have to tell you what it is about the DR that we have fell in love with its the Dominican way of life, NOT what is portrayed in the AI hotels. The seemingly laid back lifestyle that moves to the sound of merengue, the people who are happy though they have few posessions.
What I am saying is........... 'some' people do not like that way of life you see when you leave an AI complex.
Thats not you, and thats not me, but 'some' people would be perfectly content with the AI hotel, its facilities, staff, beach and entertainment.

For some people the DR is an amazing way of life that they want to experience for themselves in the 'real world' environment, however, for others (not me) the DR will be about a 2 week stay in a AI hotel, served with unlimited food and drink, and they might love it (its better than Skegness on the english coast).

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
I am just saying it is not "tourism"

tired_boy said:

What I am saying is........... 'some' people do not like that way of life you see when you leave an AI complex.
Thats not you, and thats not me, but 'some' people would be perfectly content with the AI hotel, its facilities, staff, beach and entertainment.

And my point is that you don't have to go to the DR, in fact the closest, cheapest place makes the most sense, since travelling out of your way to sequester yourself in a place with no actual exposure to what a foreign country is about is not "tourism", but I don't disagree it is a vacation. Since that just means being away from work or home as the case may be.

So if you lived in say, LA, go to the closest AI in Baja, because you aren't going to Mexico, you're going to a hotel with food and beer behind a wall. I guess whatever is most cost effective is the best choice.

If you could employ slaves in Florida "tourists" wouldn't even have to leave the USA, but only in 3rd world countries can you sell a vacation by exploiting the staff. Ditto for cruise ships, if you think those Filipino stewards and waiters are retiring early on those wages you're mistaken.

I am fed up with people who I meet here in Toronto who extoll "Cuba or the Dominican [sic]" and when you ask them they haven't walked El Conde, or the malecon or been to Old Havana or a Cuban peso market etc. They drank and ate (imported) food and lobster and danced with people they have the ability to dance with next door, since that's where their beach mates live.

I think the practice of the tour companies in Boca Chica telling the patrons during orientation that it is unsafe to go out to Duarte at night, theat there are thieves etc., preying on them and without Spanish they will be killed, so they can spend $$ inside.

Which is ironic since if you have a whole bunch going outside you'd save money inside, more than the few pennies made on sale of schlocky gifts.

So vacation yes, tourism, not even close.

Next trip (after Xmas/NY in Boca Chica) is 4 or 5 days to Lima and Cuzco to see Machu Pichu, with not an AI anywhere to be seen (not a ton of 2-4 star hotels either) . I tell my coworkers and they cannot believe I'd even have to take a connecting flight let alone get by with actual hotels, taxi's, and restaurants. Never mind it is nearly one of the wonders of the world, they'll never see. I will.

Last edited:

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
ricktoronto

Great post about AI's!

I've said the same a few times myself (and been verbally abused).

Why doesn't a would be AI goer simply spend a few nights at the local Hilton down the street from his house? That way he can harmlessly use up his vacation money (isn't that the purpose for many N. Americans).

Is the hassle (even risk) of flying, getting ripped off at the destination, even getting sick so much fun? I bet the local hotel even has a better golf course.

There I go being logical again...

mikeyone

Apr 16, 2003
Skegness.you must be a tired boy

Carravanning at Skeggy seems such a long time ago.. Thank Goodness......Anybody else out there ever been????????????? Cheers M.

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
SKEGVEGAS

Yeah skeggy was ace, so was cleethorpes and brid. However if they had an AI hotel i dont think it would be quite the same as the DR! HeHe

mikeyone

Apr 16, 2003
Tears to my Eyes..Senor T.B.

Now you are Talking....CLEETHORPES...... sunburn,windburn, Heartburn.. when I was young I used to come out of the sea all red, teeth chattering, and I thought I was the Bees Knees, making sandcastles in the mud...Those were the days??????????. Thanks for the Memories...Cheers M.